NHL Strike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I've heard, Jan. 20 is the very last day the settlement can be made. If nothing is sorted out by then, the season is kaput. And if that happens:

-- Teams like Carolina, Nashville, Florida, Atlanta, Ottawa and Pittsburgh are history. There is little or no way they can survive.
-- Several of the other Canadian teams might be in dire straits, as well, including Edmonton. I can't believe the Montreal Canadians might fold, but the city of Montreal is becoming less and less a sports town by the year (re: Montreal Expos).
-- If very much of the 2005-06 season is lost, the NHL could completely collapse. The NHLPA may be the worst run players union in all of professional sports. I think they're getting horrible counseling from their advisors.

Sorry, Gordon Gekko -- greed isn't always good. :frown:

I understand that is the cutoff date also. But even if they settled on that date, how would you feel about a Stanley Cup winner based on half a season? For me, it would be a total rip-off. I could make a lot of analogies, but none are suitable for a family style discussion board!!

ScubaTexan:
From what I've heard, Jan. 20 is the very last day the settlement can be made. If nothing is sorted out by then, the season is kaput. And if that happens:

-- Teams like Carolina, Nashville, Florida, Atlanta, Ottawa and Pittsburgh are history. There is little or no way they can survive.
-- Several of the other Canadian teams might be in dire straits, as well, including Edmonton. I can't believe the Montreal Canadians might fold, but the city of Montreal is becoming less and less a sports town by the year (re: Montreal Expos).
-- If very much of the 2005-06 season is lost, the NHL could completely collapse. The NHLPA may be the worst run players union in all of professional sports. I think they're getting horrible counseling from their advisors.

detroit diver:
I understand that is the cutoff date also. But even if they settled on that date, how would you feel about a Stanley Cup winner based on half a season? For me, it would be a total rip-off. I could make a lot of analogies, but none are suitable for a family style discussion board!!
I dont' care. Right now, I'll take anything. It's already too late.

detroit diver:
WHo cares about a season of ANY length that only eliminates, what, 40% of the teams? Please, they had to expand or there would have been NO teams eliminated. Every year there is another round of playoffs. (Remember the octopus? It's for 8 straight wins to the Stanley Cup, that was the entire 2 round playoff!) What are there, 4 rounds? 5?

I think the playoffs should be 2 rounds. The best 2 from each division (or whatever 2 group setup) play for the division title, nad the winners play for the Stanley Cup. Any more rounds are just to add games to the season. Maybe even 3 divisions and one wild card for a team that might be second best in the league to have a chance in the playoffs.

The only reason for a longer regular season than about 10 games to shake off the off season rust is to rake in more game $$, or for hockey fans to see skilled hockey rather than the previously mentioned goon sport, the N triple-H L.

detroit diver:
Had to be Boston. I know Detroit was almost sold out, as was Chicago. I can't imagine the Rangers having trouble selling in their area, nor the Canadian teams where hockey was born.

You are correct.

detroit diver:
You mean like that first half assed NJ cup!!! :gag:
ScubaTexan:
If very much of the 2005-06 season is lost, the NHL could completely collapse. The NHLPA may be the worst run players union in all of professional sports. I think they're getting horrible counseling from their advisors.

If that happens I'd have a lot more money for diving. I wonder if my Mess, Leetch, and Richter jerseys would be worth more if there was no such thing as the NHL anymore?
adder70:
I think the playoffs should be 2 rounds. The best 2 from each division (or whatever 2 group setup) play for the division title, nad the winners play for the Stanley Cup. Any more rounds are just to add games to the season. Maybe even 3 divisions and one wild card for a team that might be second best in the league to have a chance in the playoffs.
Even 3 rounds but with a few of these crappy expansion teams eliminated would be nice. Also increase the ice size and eliminate the 2 line pass (unless offsides of course). Also let the goalies leave the damn net and skate anywhere they want. One the greatest play I've ever seen was when Roy skated half way up ice and did a spinerama around Gretzky! Then got called for "Skating past the red line!!!" Why not let the golie skate up ice and try to score. If it's a blow out, it could make any otherwise boring game more interesting.

adder70:
N triple-H L.
HAHAHA! Well Jerrico has played in a few of those Rangers fund raising games.

grunzster:
Why not let the golie skate up ice and try to score. If it's a blow out, it could make any otherwise boring game more interesting.

Hehehe.....but would the goalie be fair game for beats if he is skating with the puck?

Regarding the use of AHL players etc its the owners who have shut down the league and therefore to start back up they would have to use the players they have contracts with.
Just to add a little to the pot, recently a couple of players have come out with limited support of a cap. These are guys who are on the bottom end of the pay scale and the ones who are hurting the most. The third and fourth liners. Their views were aired at a recent NHLPA meeting in Toronto and were met with limited acceptance. This is not unexpected because most of the players in attendance are the players who have been in the league for many years and are not hurting for money and .If a player or players were to come out strongly and publicly in favour of a cap I can only imagine the "jailhouse justice" they would be exposed to. So the disgruntled players keep their mouths shut. On the other hand, in about 10 days the agents for the players are to meet with the NHLPA. This meeting could be quite different because the agents have nothing to lose by stiring up the pot. They should and probably will be asking the tough questions to Goodenow and his crew.These various agents represent large numbers of players at the lower end of the pay scale. They could be the ones who force the NHLPA to get back to the table. Right now these agents are our only hope at NHL hockey this year. Not much of a hope,but a hope never the less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom