NHL Strike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey detroit diver, corruption in Chicago!!!! What else do you expect???

bedmund:
Ok, here's my take. Lose all but the original six (except for Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver). Ok, ok... grandfather in Tampa Bay since they won last year, but that's it. If they don't win this year then they're out too. :wink: Reduce the space behind the nets and the room in the neutral zone, and implement no-touch icing.

Oh... and no composite sticks! :wink:
Maybe making "the Trap" illegal would improve the game too. I know it wins games but it's so boring. Also, get rid of the red line. It totally slows the game down. Who really cares about 2 line passes and icing when the benefit of eliminating them would speed up the game so much?

I think that they should just let them fight it out. Thats why everyone goes to games anyway right? So... put everyone in a padded uniform, and let the games begin! :eyebrow: Seriously though, I do miss it!

I gotta take the owners side on this one. Yeah they let the salaries get out of hand...BUT...

The simple fact is the NHL is losing money.
Also I've heard 75% of NHL revenues go to players salaries!!!

These players have such a distorted view of reality. In the real world no one gets 75%. In the real world if many of us and our company's were in the same situation there'd be this thing called layoffs. My dad is in a union, he's a carpenter, got a buddy in a union to, he's an electrician. It #$%%# ridiculous that there's a union for a bunch of millionaires! You know there's a lot of poor scmucks out there who bust their asses and don't get any 75% and they have unions too...but that really doesn't help them when they're out of a job because of a bunch of greedy millionaires!

Also the way their contracts are written is a joke...no trade clauses for example. Most of us have actually the complete opposite of that. You know that standard little we can let you go with no notice for any reason thing. That's how it should be. Sure give the players BIG fat bonuses for winning a cup of getting so far in the playoffs. Even give individual players bonuses for putting up BIG numbers. But if you don't produce you're gone. How exiting would it be if some of these overpaid scrubs could be dropped in a moments notice if they don't produce...and without having to pay them any part of that remaining salary.

I got a friend who works for the Wilkes Barre Penguins they already had a meeting to let them all know just how bad the $hit hit the fan. They don't even know if they'll make it through this. I'm sure if it goes on as long as planned there will be a few teams that won't make it out. Just hope some dumb *** teams like mine don't pick those players up. Let them go get real jobs.

F the players...Bring In the Scabs!!!

I miss it now...we still have hope this time of year. Come January I won't care though. At least we won't suck this year!!!

At one point during last seaon the Washington Capitals had radio spots running that basically said buy a certain combo meal at McDonald's and you get a coupon for a free ticket when you buy a ticket.

I mentioned this to the broadcast people from one of the original six teams and they said that their team was playing to crowds of 50-65% capacity. That team was thick in the playoff race!

Something needs to be done.

I grew up watching NHL out of Toronto, went to my first game in 1970, AHL Calder Cup Finals. The sport has be ruined, it isn't the same.

I'm against scabs but not for NHL players' sakes. It'll just hurt the junior and senior hockey teams. Instead, go out and support a local junior team.

I"m not taking a side on who's right and who's wrong, but from your post you've got to admit something:

There are two signatures on those players contracts. One is the player, and the other is the owner. No one forced either party to sign. So you can't totally blame the "no trade" clauses on the player, because the owner agreed to it!

I also agree that the 75% figure is ridiculous. But it got there for one reason-the owners allowed it to happen.

Something has to happen on boths sides for the good of the sport. But it has to get very painful before you'll see things move. The first one to shed blood loses.

grunzster:
I gotta take the owners side on this one. Yeah they let the salaries get out of hand...BUT...

The simple fact is the NHL is losing money.
Also I've heard 75% of NHL revenues go to players salaries!!!

These players have such a distorted view of reality. In the real world no one gets 75%. In the real world if many of us and our company's were in the same situation there'd be this thing called layoffs. My dad is in a union, he's a carpenter, got a buddy in a union to, he's an electrician. It #$%%# ridiculous that there's a union for a bunch of millionaires! You know there's a lot of poor scmucks out there who bust their asses and don't get any 75% and they have unions too...but that really doesn't help them when they're out of a job because of a bunch of greedy millionaires!

Also the way their contracts are written is a joke...no trade clauses for example. Most of us have actually the complete opposite of that. You know that standard little we can let you go with no notice for any reason thing. That's how it should be. Sure give the players BIG fat bonuses for winning a cup of getting so far in the playoffs. Even give individual players bonuses for putting up BIG numbers. But if you don't produce you're gone. How exiting would it be if some of these overpaid scrubs could be dropped in a moments notice if they don't produce...and without having to pay them any part of that remaining salary.

I got a friend who works for the Wilkes Barre Penguins they already had a meeting to let them all know just how bad the $hit hit the fan. They don't even know if they'll make it through this. I'm sure if it goes on as long as planned there will be a few teams that won't make it out. Just hope some dumb *** teams like mine don't pick those players up. Let them go get real jobs.

F the players...Bring In the Scabs!!!

I miss it now...we still have hope this time of year. Come January I won't care though. At least we won't suck this year!!!

Had to be Boston. I know Detroit was almost sold out, as was Chicago. I can't imagine the Rangers having trouble selling in their area, nor the Canadian teams where hockey was born.

MikeC:
At one point during last seaon the Washington Capitals had radio spots running that basically said buy a certain combo meal at McDonald's and you get a coupon for a free ticket when you buy a ticket.

I mentioned this to the broadcast people from one of the original six teams and they said that their team was playing to crowds of 50-65% capacity. That team was thick in the playoff race!

Something needs to be done.

I grew up watching NHL out of Toronto, went to my first game in 1970, AHL Calder Cup Finals. The sport has be ruined, it isn't the same.

MikeC:
Hey detroit diver, corruption in Chicago!!!! What else do you expect???

Mike,

You've got to read this book. It goes far beyond what you can imagine in terms of corruption-both in the city of Chicago, and in the NHL and the NHLPA. The $13.00 is well worth it, and a fast read. Great bathroom book!

jiveturkey:
I'm against scabs but not for NHL players' sakes. It'll just hurt the junior and senior hockey teams. Instead, go out and support a local junior team.
Ok maybe we can just move the Wolf Pack to the garden? I've been saying that for the past 5 years anyway.
detroit diver:
Had to be Boston. I know Detroit was almost sold out, as was Chicago. I can't imagine the Rangers having trouble selling in their area, nor the Canadian teams where hockey was born.
Yeah not us...we've been down but seats haven't been that empty. People will say "F them. I'm not even going to that game on..." Next game you go to, they're still there.

It's so bad I think it's actually gotten to the point that we enjoy going there just to ***** and rag on those losers...and Sather!!! The off ice entertainment is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom