NextGen P-valve instal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorCaldvr

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just bought my first drysuit. Got a good deal on a Nextgen. I would like to install a P-valve and was wondering what one to buy. I have been told to not bother the valve will cost as much as the suit is worth. I cant put a price on comfort, that was the reason for buying the drysuit in the first place. I would like to here some opinions.

Thank you Jeff, I dont understand the difference between ballanced and unballanced. Is there a good thread to educate the ignorant? What are the extra conections on the ballanced valves where do they go?:confused:

Thank you Jeff, I dont understand the difference between ballanced and unballanced. Is there a good thread to educate the ignorant? What are the extra conections on the ballanced valves where do they go?:confused:

Unbalanced is basically a hose from Mr Willy to the ocean.

So, in the case of a hole/leak in the system , you could flood your drysuit.

A balanced valve uses one way check valves (Thats the extra stuff on the hoses) so that in the case of a hole/leak your suit isn't flooded.

There are no extra connections between the two. They both are attached to Mr Willy via a condom catheter.
I only use Balanced P-valve's.

Before buying and installing a Pvalve on the new suit, try diving it a few times. The urge to P is much less in a DS than while wet. Unless you are doing long duration dives or have a bladder the size of a grape you may find you are alright without one. An initial decision to do nothing has the least consequences if you change your mind.

Unless you are doing long duration dives or have a bladder the size of a grape you may find you are alright without one.

This is just the wuss chatter :wink:

There's been nothing but joyful anticipation this winter when the first viable women's pee valve option appeared on the horizon.

I don't do super long dives but I dive in cold climate. When you do 2-3x hour long dives either from desolate shore locations without facilities or from boats without head, and it's cold and/or rainy what greater thing than no need to rip everything off for a pee break. And how great to be slurping down hot choc to your heart's content without having to fear the revenge of the aching bladder. I have a huge bladder and pee like 3x a day but I am trying to learn to be a more frequent drinker when I dive. This invention is well worth the bother. It's the glue fearing wussies who say the opposite! :D

I would say I dont have a small or a large bladder but I have been diving the north coast of california for about a year now and it is inevitable that the miniute I don all my gear that I feel the need. I have been diving in a wet suit up till now but I feel that since my learning curve is still pritty steep I dont need the extra stress or discomfort while learning to dive dry.:D

Back
Top Bottom