Next piece of equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for your replies. A lot of good thoughts all around.

I like the idea of getting a few more dives in (15 - 20) before laying out the big dollars. That will also get me through some of the Adventure Dives Series and give me an idea of what type of diving I will be doing.

Do most shops let you "test Dive" a regulator? The dive shop we use as all the same type regulator on the rental rack.

Same questions for the BCD. Do some shops have demos of the better equipment to "test dive"?

Hi Popcorn,
I guess that depends on the shop. The one my wife and son and I use is great! While my wife and son were doing their pool sessions I got to try out anything I wanted from the rental line :thumb: which has several different major brandnames.I also got to try out some of the owners personal equipment, and his brothers stuff too. Some of the rental regs were top shelf others weren't. These guys went all out to help us find out what we liked and what we didn't.

Good luck, Try before you buy.

Tavi

I agree "try before you buy" but with some of the equipment that's not necessary-this is of course my opinion. I have to say that this site has helped me out quite a bit in deciding what equipment to buy. I think when it comes to a BC it's very nice to try on and each person has a different "fit"-size of abdomen, length of torso, etc. But when it comes to a regulator everyone has the same lungs. I think it's about "does this regulator breath wet, does it have a mechanical feel" I don't care too much about a regulator as long as it delivers air. I have a Jetstream and it's a little mechanical feeling on inspiration-some people HATE this but I guess my last regulator was such a piece of crap that I don't notice the "mechanical feel" too much. And I bought a Jetstream for the ice diving. My wife has an Apeks and that is wonderful too. I have tried a lot of regulators and most I say I would be satisfied with.

Regulators can be different from model to model. I discovered that I don't like the ergonomics of first stage swivels -- probably wouldn't have realized this unless I tried it in the water. Hose routing can be an issue as well with certain regs. These obviously issues aren't as big as getting a proper fitting BC, but if you are going to lay out up to $600-700 for a regulator, I still think it is worth trying first.

Regarding the question about "try before you buy". Most shops, if you tell them you are serious about buying from THEM will let you try out models that may not be their normal rental brand/model. Most shops have demos available just for this purpose. I've had buddies and instructors also willingly share there gear with me, which has been helpful in evaluating new gear.

Instead of buying the regulator...then the BC...then the computer (or whatever order you decide) you may want to purchase all the "hardline" gear (BC, reg, octo and gauges/computer) at once. Most shops will give a pretty good discount for buying a whole scuba set at one time. Its a little more money up front, but it saves you a few hundred in the long run. If you don't have the funds, see if the shop can do a payment plan. Each shop is different, so see what they can offer.

As for "try before you buy", I know our shop does that. It costs the same as a rental, but we require a deposit (credit card number usually) equal to the amount the gear is worth. Just in case you decide to run off with our new BC or something! Rental equipment is usually basic, no-frill equipment. Still good stuff, very durable and easy to service, but it may not give you a good feel for the different options out there. (I don't think ANY rental department has a Atomic T1/T2 reg in their inventory! If so...let me know and I'll try one out!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom