Next gen shearwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am planning a trip to the Red Sea next summer and will be buying a Petrel 2 since I will be handing down my VT4 to my son. Any news if Shearwater will be releasing a new model between now and then? I would hate to buy a Petrel 2 and have a new version come out. What was the time frame between the Petrel and the Petrel 2?

Buy the Petrel 2 now. If a new version comes out, give your son the Petrel 2.

To give your son anything but a Shearwater clearly shows that you don't love him or care about his safety. :D :D :D :D

The Petrel 2 offered minimal functionality increases over the Petrel 1. They still use the same firmware. Only change was the bluetooth module and the digital compass. It is highly unlikely to see a significant change to the Petrel for the next 4-5 years.

Buy the Petrel 2 now. If a new version comes out, give your son the Petrel 2.

To give your son anything but a Shearwater clearly shows that you don't love him or care about his safety. :D :D :D :D

He has a few more years to go before that. The Shearwater may be overkill for 40 ft dives.

I am waiting for one thing before buying another Shearwater. To save up a few more bucks. That's it.

My plan is to actually buy another used Predator unless I can get a really really really great deal on a Petrel 2. The only thing that has me even considering the Petrel 2 is the compass. I run an SK7 on my wrist and recently discovered I like using another SK7 I got from Jill Heinerth on a retractor.

Normally I hate retractors. But the last few dives in our local lake where my hands have been busy searching for stuff has me liking being able to pull it, take quick bearing, and go back to searching through the weeds and stuff without getting the wrist compass all gunked up as I usually wear it on the back of my left hand.

I've seen other computers with digital compasses and not been impressed at all.

The only reason I am considering a computer with one is because it's a Shearwater.

I know they will support the unit for a long time. Their service is second to none. They are honest with the customer unlike some other companies I see out there. They are not vaporware. Did I mention their service and support are second to none? The units are big enough for me to see and the user interface is the simplest I have ever seen. The manual is not written by lawyers and engineers trying to confuse the user and cover their asses. It's written by people who obviously dive. Can't say that about the hieroglyphics in other manufacturer's units.

Reactions: Jax
The compass on the Petrel 2 is convenient and easy to use. It's free'd up some space on my wrist to move my deco slate where I can see it better (old eyes). I rarely need a compass for most dives but it's always there and so easy to quickly take a bearing and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so to follow up on Jim a bit.

What would you want/need to see on a computer from Shearwater, or what makes you concerned that the Petrel 2 won't be good enough? Bruce has made it abundantly clear they are not working on wireless AI, so that's out. You wouldn't want/need wired AI on a Petrel anyway, though I would have liked the NERD to include it for PSD and CCR use. Have two wired AI ports that you can put a QD on to monitor either two separate gas supplies while FFM diving or to monitor your onboard gas on a CCR.

It has an easy to use user-replaceable battery. The AA is part of the reason it needs to be as big as it is, but it's much more readily available than any of the watch style batteries and it's better than internal rechargeable because you never know when you won't have a charger on hand, but you can always carry an extra AA or two. This is a one-up improvement on the Predator because it can accept anything that is AA format.

It has a really nice screen. It is not OLED which was one thing that was better about the Predator, but it's still a damn nice screen, and any improvement is going to be marginal.

Bluetooth, Petrel 2 has a new bluetooth module that is compatible with iDevices, Android etc. so you can upload straight to your phone and analyze dives

Digital compass. I don't think it is a dealbreaker *I have a Petrel 1 with no intention to upgrade*, I prefer a slate for any sort of navigation work, but it is nice to have as a quick reference point

The only thing it doesn't have are any sort of alarms other than visual, but a lot of divers prefer that. Can't really add any other useful hardware into the thing. Everything else is software. It comes out of the box with Buhlmann with user settable GF's, has an option for VPM, so you're covered for anything you actually need. Has OC/CC fully unlocked, and the EXT/NERD have an SCR setting for babysitting SCR's. I would like them to improve the desktop software so you can program the computer from the desktop software. Upload gas mixes, dive plans, settings etc. would make it a lot easier for those of us with multiple computers to just mass upload everything, but that is a software change.

If you're worried about support, they still support the original Shearwater GF and all of the other products they've made, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Back
Top Bottom