Next gen shearwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im not waiting for anything feature wise really. I do like AI but since I want to take a GUE Fundies class I will need to use an SPG anyway so I might as well get used to it. I just hating buying something and having a new version hit the shelves in 2 months.

Won't happen with the shearwater. At least not that fast. They are also pretty good about advance notice on new stuff since they take customer feedback and suggestions into account.

---------- Post added October 4th, 2015 at 03:24 PM ----------

Look at the xdeep black fiasco. That's not shearwater.

if you want AI, consider the SeaBear H3 or T1 which will have AI announced in November, but the only reason to consider those over the Petrel is if you need a watch form factor or AI.

Im not waiting for anything feature wise really. I do like AI but since I want to take a GUE Fundies class I will need to use an SPG anyway so I might as well get used to it. I just hating buying something and having a new version hit the shelves in 2 months.

because i'm really into tech i've gotten over that real quickly... something newer and "better" is always right around the corner lol...

i myself would love to get a petrel... the cost though :(, also looking at the seabear too but that's even more money even if i love the size...

if you want AI, consider the SeaBear H3 or T1 which will have AI announced in November, but the only reason to consider those over the Petrel is if you need a watch form factor or AI.

I dove with someone in Bonaire who had a Petrel and fell in love with it. The cost doesnt phase me that much since that Oceanic VT4 with tranmitter was $1299 when it came out. I like the computer a lot but it is going to mu son who just got jr OW certified at 10.

---------- Post added October 4th, 2015 at 03:55 PM ----------

Where is the best place in the US to buy one at a great price?

The compass on the Petrel 2 is convenient and easy to use. It's free'd up some space on my wrist to move my deco slate where I can see it better (old eyes). I rarely need a compass for most dives but it's always there and so easy to quickly take a bearing and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also like being able to put the mini-compass on the home screen.

Did a dive on the Mille Roches powerhouse. At one particularly silty / low vis portion of the dive, my dive buddy later told me the only thing he could see was my Petrel :)

My partners and I were just taking about this same thing this am. Hoping the OLED would come back sometime. I use my Petrel for the primary and Predator for backup, no matter how I do it, I always go back to the Predator for my primary as the screen is so much more vibrant and readable in all conditions.

I hate consumer electronics manufacturers that come out with a new version every year and try to tempt buyers to replace their older version with the newer one. My phone is about three versions behind, and I'll keep it until apps will no longer run on it, just like my previous phone. The fact that an SPG and a bottom timer will work just fine essentially forever holds a certain appeal to me.

Back
Top Bottom