Newly OW Certified and looking at gear packages!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doubles doesn't mean twins backmount, nor does diving dry require a bp/w.
Once again, you need to read. Did I say that? Did I suggest that? Did I mention 'backmount'? No, I didn't. Did I say it required a bp/w? No, I didn't.
SangP:
Speaking of reading, when did I mention about 'squeezing into tight spaces' etc?
Oh, wow you are absolutely right! You didn't use those exact words. My apologies Instead, what you said was
SangP:
However, if you are the sort who loves squeezing into places
Obviously, a totally different meaning.
SangP:
So a transpac nor an sm or an express tech can be used for cold water diving?
Of course they can. In fairness, your recommendations are very good considerations An Express Tech is a great BCD. A Transpac would give him some options, to dive single cylinder now, and later possibly expand to sidemount diving, or to backmount doubles, if that turned out to be a direction that interested him after he gained some experience. But, they were also put into comments about BCDs for travel, when he was referring to local quarries.
SangP:
Unless the op is going to diving cold his whole life, you got me there.
He didn't say that either. What he said was where he is now - a newer diver - and what he was looking for - comment on gear for a diver who will probably be diving 'in the cooler waters of the local quarries' - and what he was thinking about - possibly a drysuit. That's where he is now.

Fortunately, it appears that he is making a wise choice and is thinking of pursuing a BP/W through Jim in the near future.

Last edited:
So now that I think I have the basic gear setup nailed down, what are some of the accessories that you folks can't live without? Weight systems, lights, knives/shears/cutting tools, pockets, etc.

Thanks again!

Good to hear that you found a setup!

When I dive... There are a few things that I really like:

1. Dive Light: it allows you to see better underwater (duh!), but most importantly it allows you to know where your buddy is (and your buddy to know where you are) based on whether or not you can see their beam. It is also a quick way to signal your buddy.

Just about any light will do... But I am rather fond of the DRIS 1000 lumen light. For the price, you will be hard pressed to get a better product.

2. Cutting tools. If you are in a BP/W you need to have something to get you out of your harness. Shears (preferably coated with titanium nitride) work perfectly for this application. check divegearexpress.com for more info. Knives aren't a bad idea either. I would suggest that you purchases a useful (small) titanium knife.... don't get fooled into thinking that huge knives are worth it!

I am sure I am missing a lot of things... but those two points are what come to mind at the moment

I'll never dive without these accessories:

Wrist mounted dive computer and compass.
Waist mounted small stainless steel dive knife (no folding or ti coated ones as I won't want to fumble with my knife in an emergency and no ti for me cus it's just a coating and is rather expensive compared to my ss steak knife)
Small backup light like the penetrator 220 or DRIS which is clipped to my right shoulder d ring and under a rubber band on the harness.

A thigh pocket that holds these other items.
Laminated dive tables
6' smg and finger reel
Folderble backup mask
Whistle
Small reflector

get used stuff at your level.

wait a year and see if you want to dive with new toys.

there are many new divers who buy new stuff and don't get to use it and end up selling it for cheaps.

best of luck

Back
Top Bottom