Newly OW Certified and looking at gear packages!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for the very detailed replies! I'll try to answer questions and ask a few more of my own, if you don't mind.

It was. We used ScubaPro Glide Pro BC's. It was OK, but it felt like it was squeezing me too much around the midsection and shoulders when inflated, which leads me to think a back-inflate style would be better for me. I tried a few on this past weekend and liked having less material wrapped around me.

So everyone seems to be unanimous on the BP/W setup. However, does anyone have some kind of buying guide for BP/W's? Being as modular as they are, it's a bit intimidating having to research every little thing, instead of a nice, easy to use BC. I'm a total geek by nature, so I don't mind doing my research, but I'm not even sure where to start looking for information on what to buy and what not to buy. Neither of the local dive shops seem to cater much to tech diving, so I have yet to see a BP/W setup in their stores.

That's all my coffee-deprived brain can think of so far this morning.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Hi Jim,

As much as I and a lot of the guys love a bp/w however, you need to ask yourself a few questions.

1. Local or travel bcd
2. Single or double tank diving
3. Cold or warm water diving
4. Recreational, tech or side mount diving?

Basically, for local warm or cold water diving, you are better off using a steel backplate with around 32-35 lbs of lift.
For travel or warm water diving, something lighter like a aluminum or kydex plate is better as it's easier to lug around.
It may be premature but if you have ever though of giving a doubles tank diving for longer dives, you are really better off using a bp.
However, if you are the sort who loves squeezing into places a side mount setup might be worth checking out as well.

As good as a bp/w is, it isn't the end all of all diving rigs.

The really good bp/w are deepseasupply, oxycheq, diverite. I won't consider Halcyon due to the price difference.
A great travel type bcd would be a alu or kydex plate, zeagle express tech or the transpac with 28-32 lbs wing.

For an sm bcd setup I really like the xdeep stealth.

Cheers

We used ScubaPro Glide Pro BC's. It was OK, but it felt like it was squeezing me too much around the midsection and shoulders when inflated, which leads me to think a back-inflate style would be better for me. I tried a few on this past weekend and liked having less material wrapped around me.
A very common reaction to jacket BCDs. Out of curiousity, what back-inflate BCDs did you try?
So everyone seems to be unanimous on the BP/W setup. However, does anyone have some kind of buying guide for BP/W's? Being as modular as they are, it's a bit intimidating having to research every little thing, instead of a nice, easy to use BC.
There are probably several 100 threads on SB on the subject - start with a search on SB using keywords such as 'BP/W' and 'buying guide'. But, I think Jim Lapenta highlighted some the the major issues in his post. (For cold water, drysuit diving I personally prefer a simple stainless steel backplate, single piece web harness, 40 lb wing (for single HP steel tanks), steel cam band buckles, and a steel STA (single tank adaptor). What's interesting is that most people do not do any research (beyond checking price and listening to relatively uninformed shop staff sales pitches) on a BCD (how much lift does it have, how positively buoyant is it, how adjustable is it, etc), so it may appear that a BCD is 'easy to use' when the truth is somewhat remote from that. I had a singularly enlightening conversation several years ago with a work colleague, who was a physician who originally trained in East Germany and in Moscow, before the fall of the Berlin Wall and the reunification of Germany. He related a personal story. After the reunification, life became scary. He actually had choices on things to do an buy, which he never had before, and he hardly knew where to start - things such as buying automobile insurance. But, he said that after he got over the fear of the unfamiliar, he began to realize all of the choices he the had, which he not had before. You have choices in selecting equipment. It may seem daunting at first, which is why I previously said - don't buy something quite yet. STOP, BREATHE, THINK, then . . . ACT. It is not overwhelming.
I'm a total geek by nature, so I don't mind doing my research, but I'm not even sure where to start looking for information on what to buy and what not to buy. Neither of the local dive shops seem to cater much to tech diving, so I have yet to see a BP/W setup in their stores.
A BP/W rig is NOT a tech diving rig. That is an all too common misconception. A BP/W is simply a back-inflate BCD, with a hard back rather than a soft back. It is one type of BCD, appropriate for virtually all forms of diving. If neither shop in your area that you are familiar with carries any BP/W rigs, or is reluctant to discuss them, or tells you they are only for 'tech diving', you have an important piece of information being presented to you - stay away from them.

As I said, contact Tobin at Deep Sea Supply, or PM Jim Lapenta - who has already posted here. If you want to know where to start - start right here!

If you want good beginers gear thats quality for cheap, go with the Oceanic competitive bundle. Its almost 400 less, but the gear is all phenomenal. I bought this, and everything works teriffic. The regulator doesnt have much resistance at all, abd the BCD is very functional with weight integrates abd even a few D-rings. It'l get the job done for anything but technical diving. :)
-Nick

It is not a good choice for someone in our area diving our quarries. It has too much unnecessary padding which is going to increase the amount of lead he needs, the pockets are not as useful as pockets on the thighs of a suit, and the d rings are fixed and can't ne adjusted to the best position for the individual.

The reg is not adjustable. He can get better gear with higher performance and fitted to him for less.

I'd like to play this game also. If someone was asking me for a package at this point I would point them to this BP/W combo DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL Wait until black friday an this may go for around $300, it has in the past. I would wait for black friday for a set of HOG regs and get a Hollis DG02 dive computer. If you are looking for a drysuit DRIS also has a USIA Aquasport for $499 right now. Throw in some undergarments and you have a great setup for under $2000 that will last a long time.

As much as I and a lot of the guys love a bp/w however, you need to ask yourself a few questions.
1. Local or travel bcd
2. Single or double tank diving
3. Cold or warm water diving
4. Recreational, tech or side mount diving?
Did you bother to read what he originally posted? Just in case you didn't, here's a reminder:
Jim Rophrer:
. . . just got certified a couple weekends ago! . . . Being in Ohio, I'm looking at gear that will perform well enough in the cooler waters of the local quarries (really enjoyed Gilboa when we checked out there). . . . Also, what are the prevailing opinions of starting out early with a dry suit? We were diving 55 degree water in Gilboa,
It is really nice for us to be able to show off our extensive knowledge of all the available options, and promote our breath of expertise. But, the OP has already given some DETAILED information about what he is looking for - NEW DIVER (i.e. recreational, single tank), LOCAL, COLD WATER. Was something about that unclear? Are you really going to suggest he buy gear today on the basis of whether he has 'thought about' doubles, or side mount, or 'squeezing into tight spaces', or travel, etc., NONE of which he mentioned?
As good as a bp/w is, it isn't the end all of all diving rigs.
I agree, a BP is not the 'end all' rig. OK, NO rig is the 'end all'. So, please tell the OP, and the rest of us, what in your opinion a BP would NOT do to meet the needs of a diver who has indicated LOCAL, COLD WATER, DRYSUIT? More to the point, since you mentioned doubles, side mount, 'squeezing into tight spaces', and travel, where does a BP fall short there? I am anxiously waiting to learn.

Did you bother to read what he originally posted? Just in case you didn't, here's a reminder:It is really nice for us to be able to show off our extensive knowledge of all the available options, and promote our breath of expertise. But, the OP has already given some DETAILED information about what he is looking for - NEW DIVER (i.e. recreational, single tank), LOCAL, COLD WATER. Was something about that unclear? Are you really going to suggest he buy gear today on the basis of whether he has 'thought about' doubles, or side mount, or 'squeezing into tight spaces', or travel, etc., NONE of which he mentioned? I agree, a BP is not the 'end all' rig. OK, NO rig is the 'end all'. So, please tell the OP, and the rest of us, what in your opinion a BP would NOT do to meet the needs of a diver who has indicated LOCAL, COLD WATER, DRYSUIT? More to the point, since you mentioned doubles, side mount, 'squeezing into tight spaces', and travel, where does a BP fall short there? I am anxiously waiting to learn.

Since the post police is asking, I'll tell you. I see no reason why a bp/w won't fit those needs however, having used a bp from the start and now trying out a sm rig, it's no longer this way is the best or only way.

Doubles doesn't mean twins backmount, nor does diving dry require a bp/w. Unless you've drank the kool aid, there are equally capable rigs out there. Speaking of reading, when did I mention about 'squeezing into tight spaces' etc?

So a transpac nor an sm or an express tech can be used for cold water diving?

Unless the op is going to diving cold his whole life, you got me there.

Sang is right. I prefer a bpw but also use an express tech and looking into sidemount for next season. The BPW is a great tool but it is no longer the only one. Had he recommended a HUB I'd have made him turn in his c card though. ;-)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not going to recommend that H.U.B (hopelessly useless bag) to anyone lol

Thank you all again for the advice! After reading these responses and a boatload of other threads here and elsewhere, I'm definitely sold on the Hogarthian setup. It just seems to make a lot of sense, being extremely modular, reliable, and practical. In fact I took advantages of the Black Friday deals that Jim Lapenta offered and ordered a set of HOG regulators. I'll be ordering a HOG BP/W setup from him after Christmas! :-D

So now that I think I have the basic gear setup nailed down, what are some of the accessories that you folks can't live without? Weight systems, lights, knives/shears/cutting tools, pockets, etc.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom