newly certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you learn and practice good buddy breathing skills, what is the point of diving with another reg.
Trust your skills and dive with someone whos skills you also trust.
Granted if you are paired up with some numpty of a diver on a cattle boat then I could see having another reg for your OWN safety, but all this extra gear for no reason, I don't get it.
Come on this is just open water diving!!

but I totally think this is a put-on to try to stir controversy.

There are these little tiny little things called equipment failure and redundancy.

In an emergency situation everyone should have their own regulator to breathe from. It's amazing how much calmer humans are when they can actually breathe...go figure. You do not need the added complexities of sharing one regulator between two people when one is likely on the verge of complete and total panic. I would go further to make the claim that having two people (one of whom is in a severe emergency) sharing a single reg on a short hose only adds to the anxiety. Now you have two people without a constant air supply. Emergencies turn bad when the cascade of little things goes on unabated.

Sorry, you are wrong. Full stop.

<Director's Note: Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Softly fades in...">

usil once bubbled...
What is the point of diving with another reg?..but all this extra gear for no reason, I don't get it.

I agree...you don't get it.

And then there was this *gem* from the "drysuit lift" thread:

usil once bubbled...
just dive with your dry suit and no BCD, that teaches you about proper weighting. you don't really need a BCD anyway! plus with a proper fitting drysuit you can get LOTS of lift!

<Director's Note: Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Softly fades out...">

Trollin...trollin...trollin...keep these posts a trollin...

whats trollin??

I advocate
1-dive within your skill
2-don't use gear to make up for poor skill
3-use the least amount of kit that is safely possible
4-plan your dive dive your plan
5-dive with a safe, qualified, competent buddy always
6-speak from experience not hear-say (not sure how to spell it)

If you are so uncomfortable under water that you can't go 10 seconds without air while you tap your buddy then I don't think you should be diving. What is wrong with buddy breathing?? what is wrong with using your drysuit as a BC?? Try it you might like it!

usil once bubbled...
whats trollin??

I advocate
1-dive within your skill
2-don't use gear to make up for poor skill
3-use the least amount of kit that is safely possible
4-plan your dive dive your plan
5-dive with a safe, qualified, competent buddy always
6-speak from experience not hear-say (not sure how to spell it)

If you are so uncomfortable under water that you can't go 10 seconds without air while you tap your buddy then I don't think you should be diving. What is wrong with buddy breathing?? what is wrong with using your drysuit as a BC?? Try it you might like it!

Can you please, for the board, state just what your experience is so we know where you are coming from. Your profile is woefully lacking in any information pertaining to your level of expertise. Since your point 6 is that we should be speaking from experience, let's have it.

I agree with every point on your list but think that you have completely missed the boat on the octopus and drysuit thing.

I'll again give you one reason for not using a drysuit for buoyancy (but you might want to do use the "search" feature to find out many many more).

1.) It is too difficult to finely tune the air dumping when you are decreasing in depth. As the air expands you have to go through all sorts of contortions to dump air IF you have been filling your suit with it at depth. Funny how your signature states "Padi Sucks" yet this is EXACTLY what they teach.

I can't quite figure you out...oops, I've fallen off the hook.

well my diving history won't be plastered all over the board so I will PM with a list, not that that list means a damb thing but if it makes you feel better.

In regards to the dry suit as primary inflation,
I first heard about using the drysuit as primary inflation from the whole DIR thing. The back up BC is the dry suit. So I went out to my LDS found a dacor backpak and decided to try just using the dry suit. OMG it actually works. So from then on I didn't dive with a BCD. This helped out my trim, my neutral boyancy the whole kit and kaboodle. I feel like a better diver for doing so. I just felt like I could make up for small mistakes in trim and boyancy throught the use of a BCD. I was right. I am not saying that it is for everyone. I quite often use a BCD as there isn't really anywhere to hang things on a dry suit!!. It wasn't till I started commercial diving that I relised that NO ONE uses a BC.

Don't dismiss it till you have tried it.

usil once bubbled...
well my diving history won't be plastered all over the board so I will PM with a list, not that that list means a damb thing but if it makes you feel better.

In regards to the dry suit as primary inflation,
I first heard about using the drysuit as primary inflation from the whole DIR thing. The back up BC is the dry suit.

DIR DOES NOT state to use the BC as a PRIMARY inflation device ANYWHERE. It is available as a back-up IF your primary device (wing or BC etc) should fail. If you are just using a drysuit and you should hole it, you are in serious trouble, especially if you are using heavy gear such as doubles as you will not be able to swim them up.

Yeah I made a mistake, The whole dir thing says to use the suit as a back up, right. So if this is a backup then you MUST be able to use this boyancy device to maintain precise depth in order to do the deco stop. an I correct. The funny thing is that you can!!

As to using the Drysuit as your only source of boyancy compensation when diving with steel doubles or other such trappings of a technical diver, come on, of course not. If I'm doing deco, uh ya, I need alternated BC.

If you are just using a drysuit and you should hole it, you are in serious trouble, especially if you are using heavy gear such as doubles as you will not be able to swim them up.

Deco excluded, If you can't swim your rig up at ALL times
1-your and idiot
2-your welcome the feel of water in your lungs
3- your an dangerous idiot

usil once bubbled...
Deco excluded, If you can't swim your rig up at ALL times
1-your and idiot
2-your welcome the feel of water in your lungs
3- your an dangerous idiot

Who the f**** is that guy ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back