Newfound Lake -- The Ledges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, there wasn't much in the way of trash there to pick thru. As a certified junk hunter, I was rather disappointed! As a diver, I was kind of glad the whole bottom of the lake wasn't strewn with garbage. I found one interesting bottle but it was clear and had a screw top so wasn't old enough to keep. A few beer bottles and cans and a small medical kit in a plastic bag was about it. Around by the ledges itself the only things that would make it into the water would either be dropped by boat or thrown in from the road. Might be better hunting close where houses and camps had been for years. Probably need someone with a boat to get you there.

When we did the ledges long ago, there was a whole vehicle down there perched on the boulders, maybe this was before they hauled it out? Or from the looks of that road there's probably been more than one. It was open and like a jeep, I remember goofing around taking turns behind the wheel. We also tried a dive further north near some houses and docks. Pretty much found a shallow featureless silty flat bottom.

A lot of people stay close to the rocky areas and don't bother swimming across the "barren" or "featureless" bottoms of lakes, but once in a while, those areas can surprise you, as I'm sure you know.

Dave C

We definitely crossed the desert. We cruised for what seemed like miles at about 20 - 30 feet and never so much as a bottle cap. I think at one point we may have seen some kind of odd snail or something. I only remember surfacing be amazed at how much distance we covered... without seeing anything other than sand.

Back
Top Bottom