Newest Intova-Compact, push button

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just picked up one of the new Intova 4.7 watt LED lights, and I think I like it!

Gone is the sliding magnetic switch, replaced by a nice metal pushbutton on the back end. Also, it's shorter overall: it uses 3 AAA batteries instead of the CR123 cells!

The only other Intova LED light I've got is one of the original ones, which was glued together/one piece or something, so I don't know if the most recent revision of that model gave access to the LED, but this one does! It unscrews in three places overall, one of those removing the head and giving easy access to the LED module inside. There is an oring on the front which I believe removing might let you take out the reflector, but I don't feel like testing that out.

Pushing the button once gives 100% power, twice knocks it to 30%, third turns it off. If you push and hold, it turns on a very fast strobe feature, and the next push turns it back off.

All in all, it looks nice! Shorter than the old lights, uses easier to find batteries, bright, with a switch that seems nice, with mutiples modes of operation...it's going on my harness for some cave dives this weekend!

Does the new light come in both a narrow and wide beam as the other?

Just picked up one of the new Intova 4.7 watt LED lights, and I think I like it!

Gone is the sliding magnetic switch, replaced by a nice metal pushbutton on the back end. Also, it's shorter overall: it uses 3 AAA batteries instead of the CR123 cells!

The only other Intova LED light I've got is one of the original ones, which was glued together/one piece or something, so I don't know if the most recent revision of that model gave access to the LED, but this one does! It unscrews in three places overall, one of those removing the head and giving easy access to the LED module inside. There is an oring on the front which I believe removing might let you take out the reflector, but I don't feel like testing that out.

Pushing the button once gives 100% power, twice knocks it to 30%, third turns it off. If you push and hold, it turns on a very fast strobe feature, and the next push turns it back off.

All in all, it looks nice! Shorter than the old lights, uses easier to find batteries, bright, with a switch that seems nice, with mutiples modes of operation...it's going on my harness for some cave dives this weekend!

It's hard to believe you can have a 4.7 watt light powered by 3 AAA cells with any reasonable battery life. A AAA cell has say 1amp-hr which gives 1*1.5*3=4.5 watt hours. You get less than 60 minutes of run time.

Adam

nothing on this product at Intovas web site, strange?

Look here. :wink: Mind you, while this one is 4.7 watts, judging by the packaging, it appears to take 2 CR123 batteries. They've got another light that takes 4 AAAs -- SnapSights -- but there's no mention of 4.7 watts.

Look here. :wink: Mind you, while this one is 4.7 watts, judging by the packaging, it appears to take 2 CR123 batteries. They've got another light that takes 4 AAAs -- SnapSights -- but there's no mention of 4.7 watts.

That's exactly what I said...this is a new version that changes the switch style, makes the light smaller, adds more functions to the switch and changes the battery used, while keeping the same LED and reflector. I don't know why Intova has nothing on their site yet, but the shop told me they were one of the first to get the lights.

That's exactly what I said...this is a new version that changes the switch style, makes the light smaller, adds more functions to the switch and changes the battery used, while keeping the same LED and reflector. I don't know why Intova has nothing on their site yet, but the shop told me they were one of the first to get the lights.

Pretty sure you have this one: :: INTOVA :: Correct? If so, definately 1 Watt rather than 4.7. I was going to get one but figured the output must be nowhere near my 4.7 Watt. BTW, Intova appears to have stopped using the glue (or at least on mine) as I can unscrew the head. I had to repair a missed solder joint on the board so maybe someone was having a bad day and forgot the glue too.:wink:

Thanks for the link, but that is their website and the light is the "standard" intova and not the "new version" you mention. Strange perhaps they simply havent updated their site yet. Cheers

Thanks for the positive feedback. Stay tuned as we have more lights with this switch style coming soon. Also the new MEGA NOVA. So bright we are going to offer “Light Licenses”!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom