Newer diver hoping to put some gear on the Christmas list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regulator. Better to know your life support is in good condition. I'd recommend an aqualung legend or apeks ds4. Then computer. I like my zoop. Get a DSS mount. If you are diving cold water get good exposure protection. If you're diving warm water get a fill card. I recommend used gear. Good bang for the buck and good time to buy. Get it serviced and go dive. Find someone local and ask to try out a BP&W setup. Most shops know if you try one, you will come back later to buy one...

I think every one is on the right page as far as what to get first (except BP/W). The way I priorized my first purchases were anything that I had to trust my life to. The regulator was my first purchase. I didn't like trusting my life to a rented maybe abused Regulator. Next was both a Computer and BC (back inflate that I bought from my OW instructor who is also a Mares rep (SUPER DEAL)). Then from there anything that I could find on sale. Take your time and buy quality.

Shearwater Petrel, drysuit and thermals, scooter, waterproofhousing going with the full frame dslr and lighting or rebreather

Computer is my recommendation. All other gear basically works the same so there's no learning curve to using rental gear. Computers, on the other hand, all work differently, so there is a learning curve. Who wants to spend their dive time trying figure out how to read/work their computer. The Petrel is a wonderful computer and probably the gear purchase I'm most happy with on a day-to-day basis, but you need a Santa with deep pockets.

Regs first and then computer. Having the peace of mind of breathing from something you know is in good condition and well looked after is well worth it, and I agree with the comment regarding having your own computer you understand. Also, if you get this early on, you can have a detailed record of all your dives on your PC.

Regs wise, get something reliable and research who can service them. I love Apeks regs (which have had a mention here). I'm in the UK and they are probably the most highly regarded regs we have over here. I regularly see HOG getting good write-ups from people in the states, but we don't get them here.

Computer. I have the Suunto Zoop and its very easy to use and customize. Much easier to use then some of my buddy's who have other entry level comps and for the price I feel it's the best bang for the buck and can adjust how liberal or conservative (preferably) it is. Only takes one easy use button for the actual dive to see the different screens needed. You really want a computer, especially on a boat dive with multi tank dives a day. I'm sure your dive buddy (insta or not) will appreciate your computer over tables too! Don't skimp on gear so you can get the quantity over quality. Zoop can always be a great backup if you get more extreme. Don't skimp on a "affordable" bcd. I'm under 50 dives and already wish I went with a BP/W over a rear inflate BCD. I'd wait till next year's BLACK FRIDAY deals because that is when the best deals you will get for needing to buy from scratch. Rent and try different equipment till you find what you like.
Get yourself a SMB and simple reel for Cozumel too. Not hard to seperate from the group in Cozumel d/t the currents. I recommend going to the the Cozumel regional forum on SB. Spent about 6 months floating around in there and learned very valuable information in regards to the island and dive ops and restaurants and anything you can think of. Even how not to get ripped off by the cabbies! Check out "Dive With Martin" dive op. Used them and were awesome and very affordable. Good people in Coz. And RESPECT THE POWER OF THE DRIFT DIVING!

I would say reg & BCD (in no particular order, preferably at the same time). Then weights/weight belt, etc. (although you will probably use their weights on the trip). Then I would look at a computer. If no computer yet I would assume you would have a dive watch and depth gauge. A decent watch may be found for $25+.

Oh yeah, exposure suit of course. I would use a body suit any time in the Caribbean, but of course people vary. You will need an appropriate suit before you can "cold water" dive. You may get away with a t shirt down there, but watch out for scrapes, stings, etc. So depending on your needs, suit may go to the top of the list.

Last edited:
Personally, my order of purchase would be a computer and a wetsuit followed by regulators and a BC

Several have suggested the Suunto Zoop as a first computer, this runs their RGBM algorithm and costs about $300. Alternatives could include the Hollis DG03 running Buhlmann ZH-L16c for about $249 or the Oceanic Geo2, running a version of the Buhlmann algorithm OR DSAT for $299. There are many, many threads on SB debating or arguing about the relative merits of your decompression algorithm.

There are many perfectly fine 3mm full wetsuits available for around $200 or less. Adding a 5/3mm hooded vest would extend this down to somewhere in the 70s degrees, depending on your tolerance.

So, for less than $500, you can take care of your computer and exposure protection.

Then there's the regs and BC...

Zoop for 224$ through leisurepro

Online prices are tricky, you have to be careful. The $300 scuba.com price I quoted includes the download cable, the leisurepro price does not, its $65 extra, making the total price $290, a nominal savings.

So to be fair, total price with download cable is Suunto Zoop $290 (leisurepro), Hollis DG03 $349 (DGE), Oceanic Geo2 $390 (Scuba.com). Personally, I would want the ability to download my dives. I particularly like this function with my AI Oceanic VT3 where my air consumption and SRMV are automatically captured, calculated. If the OP does not need to download dives, he can save the extra money. If I were to opt for the DG03, I would probably go for AI and buy a transmitter, that would raise the price to $598, still a good deal. An Oceanic VT4.1 with transmitter and download cable would run about $800, of course it is also dual algorithm.

Personally, I can't tolerate the Suunto decompression algorithm, but that's just my choice. It behooves new divers to learn the rudiments of decompression algorithms prior to investing in a dive computer. There are many threads on SB discussing this topic with advocates on all sides.

Choices, choices, choices, at least educated ones are better than not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom