Newer Diver here looking for new gear advice?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks!!

I have looked on there a couple times, and love how zeagle has a lifetime warranty on their equipment. So you have a Zeagle set up?

I dive their Stiletto recreational BCD model, which is billed as "...a rugged full featured but light weight BC, designed for divers who may do both warm and temperate water diving but do not need twin tank capability or higher lift".

I mostly only do tropical warm water recreational diving, and the minimal low profile design is perfect for my needs. It has accompanied me on many many trips all over the Caribbean an beyond, and has proved to be a very reliable and trouble free travel BC. But, beyond that, every time I have asked Zeagle for a custom modification or replacement parts they have taken care of me and never charged me a thing.

I dive the Zeagle Stiletto. Very comfy with great fit. Light enough to travel but full size BC with enough lift to dive local in full 7mm wetsuit, hood, gloves, and booties. It is heavier (just over 7 lbs) than some travel BC's but is in line with many to the travel ones.

The scout does not utilize the ripcord system and the weight pockets are not dumpable. It looks like it was designed as a travel BC but to be used with a weight belt. Their is also a Zeagle Covert which is a lightweight wing style BC you can roll up to pack.

The Envoy reg has been in some Scuba Dive magazine gear reviews as a best buy. I dive Atomic regs so can't tell you about Zeagle's regs but they have a great reputation.

One thing about packages is you get a good deal on one of the items but the store tends to get rid of one part of the package that is a loss leader for the store. In other words, it has a small profit margin which is why they like to put it in packages with items with high profit margins. Personally I like to mix and match my own gear. Some shops will let you pick your own package so ask. Your LDS might even give you a discount for buying a set of gear from them as well and some may even price match.

If buying online, you might look at ScubaToys.com (which gives a discount if you're a member here, which you are, last time I checked) and LeisurePro.com. I've bought from Scuba.com, but price-wise, I'd check out the other 2 for a comparison.

Be sure whatever regulator you get can be serviced at some local dive shop, as they need periodic routine servicing.

Richard.

I dive their Stiletto recreational BCD model, which is billed as "...a rugged full featured but light weight BC, designed for divers who may do both warm and temperate water diving but do not need twin tank capability or higher lift".

I mostly only do tropical warm water recreational diving, and the minimal low profile design is perfect for my needs. It has accompanied me on many many trips all over the Caribbean an beyond, and has proved to be a very reliable and trouble free travel BC. But, beyond that, every time I have asked Zeagle for a custom modification or replacement parts they have taken care of me and never charged me a thing.

I dive the Zeagle Stiletto. Very comfy with great fit. Light enough to travel but full size BC with enough lift to dive local in full 7mm wetsuit, hood, gloves, and booties. It is heavier (just over 7 lbs) than some travel BC's but is in line with many to the travel ones.

The scout does not utilize the ripcord system and the weight pockets are not dumpable. It looks like it was designed as a travel BC but to be used with a weight belt. Their is also a Zeagle Covert which is a lightweight wing style BC you can roll up to pack.

The Envoy reg has been in some Scuba Dive magazine gear reviews as a best buy. I dive Atomic regs so can't tell you about Zeagle's regs but they have a great reputation.

One thing about packages is you get a good deal on one of the items but the store tends to get rid of one part of the package that is a loss leader for the store. In other words, it has a small profit margin which is why they like to put it in packages with items with high profit margins. Personally I like to mix and match my own gear. Some shops will let you pick your own package so ask. Your LDS might even give you a discount for buying a set of gear from them as well and some may even price match.

I believe I dove the Stiletto BCD when I was in OW class. I really liked it, but didn't like the $600 price tag. But, I'm coming to think its worth it to spend the money from the get go, then having to replace it in a couple years. Thanks for your help. Please read below.

If buying online, you might look at ScubaToys.com (which gives a discount if you're a member here, which you are, last time I checked) and LeisurePro.com. I've bought from Scuba.com, but price-wise, I'd check out the other 2 for a comparison.

Be sure whatever regulator you get can be serviced at some local dive shop, as they need periodic routine servicing.

Richard.

I checked Scuba Toys, and Leisure Pro as well. When looking for the Stiletto I found what to look like a awesome Package deal from HouseofScuba.com.

It comes with a brand new Zeagle Stiletto BC, Zeagle Flathead 7 Reg, and Zeagle Octo-Z.
Just a hair over 1k. I can grab a decent computer for $400 and have an awesome set up that will last me a good while.
Or I can get the same Package with the Zeagle Ranger BC for a hair over $1,100.

Thoughts?

[URL]http://www.houseofscuba.com/brand-zeagle/scubapkg17.html

http://www.houseofscuba.com/brand-zeagle/scubapkg18.html[/URL]

Hi ScubaFireDiver,

First, congratulation on becoming a diver, and welcome to a very addictive (and expensive) activity! You are going to love it!

When it comes to choosing a brand, you don't have to stress too much about it. Almost all the manufacturers produce quality dive equipment.

However, it is the type of diving in which you need to consider. It sounds like you are going to be doing a lot of local diving, but I didn't catch what kind of diving that is. Are you near warm or cold water? If you are near cold water, make sure your regulator can handle it. The regulator specs should tell you if it is designated for warm or cold water.

Also, it sounds like you will be moving into more technical diving someday (I hope you do!)...Your regulator will last you many years, so if that is the case then you might want to spend a little more to get a regulator that can handle technical diving. These are regulators that are, at the very least, built with more durable materials. I prefer a regulator that gives me high performance, but without overly complicated designs. That way less can go wrong on deeper dives and it is easy to service (less $$ for the parts). I currently use an Apeks regulator for both recreational and technical dives. There are several other brands that make high quality regulators.

As far as the BCD is concerned, you can't use a regular BCD for tech diving, so you can save some $$ with that now and then buy a backplate, harness & wing later. Or you can just go with a technical set up now. I use mine for both technical and recreational diving. I like traveling with my bp&w much better because it takes up less space in my bag.

Of course, we all have an opinion. In the end, just go with what feels comfortable and fits within you budget.

I'm not trying to sell you here (unless you are buying :wink:), but we have some very nice deals on gear packages. Take a look. At the very least, you'll have an idea of what things cost.

Cheers,

I believe I dove the Stiletto BCD when I was in OW class. I really liked it, but didn't like the $600 price tag. But, I'm coming to think its worth it to spend the money from the get go, then having to replace it in a couple years. Thanks for your help. Please read below.

I checked Scuba Toys, and Leisure Pro as well. When looking for the Stiletto I found what to look like a awesome Package deal from HouseofScuba.com.

It comes with a brand new Zeagle Stiletto BC, Zeagle Flathead 7 Reg, and Zeagle Octo-Z.
Just a hair over 1k. I can grab a decent computer for $400 and have an awesome set up that will last me a good while.
Or I can get the same Package with the Zeagle Ranger BC for a hair over $1,100.

Thoughts?

[URL]http://www.houseofscuba.com/brand-zeagle/scubapkg17.html

http://www.houseofscuba.com/brand-zeagle/scubapkg18.html[/URL]

Looks promising!

My suggestion, as others may have mentioned, would be to take your time and keep in context of the types of diving you plan to do. If you keep coming back to these products, then I think you would be pretty satisfied with the choices. As others have also mentioned, package deals can be great, but I would not let that drive things.

As for the Ranger, it is a bigger/bulkier/heavier/pricier product that would probably be overkill for most recreational warm water travel applications. This is another reason why I went with the Stiletto. It's a good combination of sturdy w/ features, while also not being too bulky for travel. It also has zero inherent buoyancy. I would recommend adding a split saddle crotch strap, makes a big difference in stability and comfort.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks again for the reply. I will be doing a lot of spring dives as I live In Central florida. And 2-3 cruise dives a year. So I will be doing a mixture of warm, and cooler waters. I think the stiletto will fit my needs for a BC, and I have herd to get the saddle strap.

Now ow I need to look at regs and computer.

Awesome. Thanks for advice. Besides the rust on the screws how's the computer itself?

Computer works well and he really likes it. He was initially confused about how to play with all of the different viewing options but he didn't read the manual either. It's certainly not a fancy computer, but it's also more advanced than he'd realistically need for rec diving too. "Room to grow," whatever that may be. It's nitrox capable, but not sure of the other details.

Thanks again for the reply. I will be doing a lot of spring dives as I live In Central florida. And 2-3 cruise dives a year. So I will be doing a mixture of warm, and cooler waters. I think the stiletto will fit my needs for a BC, and I have herd to get the saddle strap.

Now ow I need to look at regs and computer.

As for regs, Zeagle make very good highly rated equipment. I dive Atomic regs, and as others have endorsed, I can personally vouch for their top level performance. Scubapro also make excellent equipment. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these manufacturers.

On the computer front, there are many choices out there; basic to full-featured. Algorithms fall into 3 basic categories; liberal, conservative, and middle of the road. You will likely find arguments for or against one vs another, but it's a factor to consider. Some prefer the hose based gauge-style console units, others favor wrist-mount wireless air integration. You can spend a little or a lot. Again, it's important to keep in mind the context of your diving. My recommendation would be to also budget for a backup unit, say pair a digital wrist computer with a hose SPG console, etc.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom