Newbies need Maui Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nvquercus

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My 13 year old daughter and I, who are newly certified, are planning on doing some diving in Maui during the week of Nov. 21. I have heard that Molokini is a great place to start, but during this time of year can be rough and not good visability. We are staying in the Kaplua area. Is it worth it to drive down to Kihei, should we head over to Lanai or just do some guided shore dives.

I have seen alot about the various dive sites on this board, but none catering to informing the novice diver.

Thanks.

Vis is usually very good at Molokini. It can be rough anytime of year depending on conditions but winter does bring more swell. You could go with Lahaina Divers to Molokini or drive down and find a South Maui boat operator. It's pretty ride but it's probably a lot better on a boat there and back. The whales are already here in small numbers and should be increasing as time goes on. Maybe you'd get lucky and see some during the boat trip. Lanai is another great place to dive so all your options are open. I'd do both if I were you!

Have a great trip,

Sean

I have to agree with Sean that the boat ride with Lahaina Divers to Molokini is gorgeous, we've done it many times. The boats are very comfortable and the captains do a great job of slowing and maneuvering when whales are sighted. It's pretty much a great whale watching trip with diving at the end. :) They also do two dives at Molokini instead of going to an inshore site, which is especially nice if you're only doing one charter to Molokini during your stay.

Lanai is also a really great choice, though the crossing can be pretty rough, particularly the return at noon. I think that you'd also find there to be more of a chance of rougher diving conditions on Lanai than Molokini. Molokini is very protected from bad weather, so its pretty reliable for good conditions and excellent viz. Because of the 48' Newton boats that Lahaina Divers uses, they are our preferred operator for the crossing to/from Lanai, so we always book at least one charter with them.

Molokini is rarely "not good visibility" by most standards.

It is true that *sometimes* in the winter months, we'll get a north swell that will hit *just* right to pass between Molokai and Maui so that the inside of Molokini crater gets hit by the swell. Ultimately, though, this usually only makes the snorkelling unenjoyable and the getting on/off the boat challenging.

I would weigh the boat operator decision carefully. If you are prone to seasickness, then *avoid* the long boat ride from Lahaina -- drive down to Kihei and take a 15 minute (rather than an hour and 15 minute) boat ride. You'll enjoy the diving much more!

If, however, you like being out on the ocean, the option of the Lahaina Divers run from Lahaina is great. The only caveat I'd like to point out is that they typically hand out 72 cu ft tanks, vs. the local industry standard of 80 cu ft.'s. This isn't a big issue for most divers, but typically new divers will find their dives about 10% shorter... so either request the larger tanks or consider booking elsewhere.

Whoever you end up booking with, do make sure you mention that your daughter is a Junior Open Water Diver -- with a 70' depth limit. This may affect their planning.

If you're looking for someone to dive with locally (shore dives, or a personal guide on the boat), or are considering advancing your dive training to Advanced Open Water or a Nitrox specialty, I'd love to work with you -- just send me a PM here!

Whoever you end up booking with, do make sure you mention that your daughter is a Junior Open Water Diver -- with a 70' depth limit. This may affect their planning.

Great point Kris. One advantage to Lahaina Divers is that the typical Molokini or Lanai profile is max depth 65'. But I agree, it is something you should make the captain and DMs aware of, but remember that ultimately the responsibility to stay above 70' is yours.

I would highly recomend doing some shore dives in the area you are staying, if the vis is good anyways. I also assume that you meant Kapalua is were you are staying? If so that is a great shore dive. I myself always prefer to hire a local guide to show me around, even the reefs I have already dove. They'll be better judges of conditions, etc. There are several other great shore dives around that area as well so I would keep that open as an option.

I myself still have not made it to Lanai or Molokini. Maybe the next trip.

My 13 year old daughter and I, who are newly certified, are planning on doing some diving in Maui during the week of Nov. 21. I have heard that Molokini is a great place to start, but during this time of year can be rough and not good visability. We are staying in the Kaplua area. Is it worth it to drive down to Kihei, should we head over to Lanai or just do some guided shore dives.

I have seen alot about the various dive sites on this board, but none catering to informing the novice diver.

Thanks.

While a bad day at Molokini usually means 100 ft vis :wink: conditions around Lahaina to Kapalua aren't that bad either - especially during November.

We have some great shore diving up here - If you'd like, drop me a PM and we can put together a shore dive around here. My neighbor's 14 yr old daughter and I dive together frequently, so perhaps the girls would have fun diving together (as part of a group of 4)

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Maui is known for being one of the best novice shore dive spots in the world ... easy place to get your feet wet :wink:

My son, daughter, and nephew all learned there, with different operators.....
I would HIGHLY recommend you drive to Kihei to do Molokini. the Newtons are wonderful, but that is an uncomfortable ride even in a Newton if the seas are up at all. From Kihei, it's three songs in your head and you're back already.
Molokini is a great beginner dive, and although it's not the best maui has to offer IMO, everybody has to do it at least once. I would highly recommend B and B scuba (Hi Blesi and Brad) as they are wonderful with kids (I had them work with my daughter and nephew, and they absolutely went way above and beyond for me, and didn't charge me when they certainly could have). Your daughter (and you) will be very, very well taken care of.
Next, I'd absolutely take Lahaina Diver's newtons to Lanai. An absolutely don't miss dive, the cathedrals. Yeah, they're 72's, and yeah, they hand-hold, but they're good about it and the boats make it very comfortable. I've never been on one of their boats when it was full, so generally crowds (and especially that time of year) aren't a problem.
Third, Kidspot is a great guide - a wonderful person, I dove with him with a newbie buddy of mine two or three years ago, and he's the real deal. If you're going to do a shore dive, mala wharf is a good one. shallow, easy, very nice. HI Tim - remember me? Brian and Lance from Arizona, we dove five caves/graves/daves for an hour and a half, almost, on one tank in January, almost three years ago.

have a great time - be honest with the dive staff on any boat you choose about your experience and don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help if you need it - and you'll have a blast.

I second the recommendations to do shore dives. I'm less familiar with the coast north of Lahaina, though Honolua Bay is fabulous, but anywhere south of Kihei in the Waimea district that you can get to the beach, from the south end of the Kihei beaches down to Makena Landing, will be fun and easy diving. Conditions should generally be good there this time of year, but don't go if the swell is up. There must be a dozen or so access spots, many of them from the hotel beaches where you'll have access to services and bathrooms. Just look for the public parking signs in and between the hotels. Go right or left from the beach to the rocky points and you'll find good diving in close.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom