Newbie's intro to cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alekseolsen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, inspired by rhe brilliant thread:Hopping my way to full cave...
I figured I'll attempt creating a similar thread, for a newbie diver, over in Europe.

I'm a somewhat new diver, 31 years old, 2 years since OW certified, 112 dives in.

I'm based in Norway, which means OW is done in a drysuit. Before starting Cavern/Intro to Cave I'm CMAS ** and Nitrox certified (PADI Advanced equivalent).

I'm taking IANDT Rec. Trimix, advanced nitrox, Deco Procedures, but COVID combined with international work travel has put it to a halt.

The decision to try cave diving was taken on a liveaboard in the red sea, where I learned that I really loved penetrating wrecks, and a "way forward" was recommended, at least one of the "guides" was actually cave-trained

So, the "actual" training started with a E-learning session, with no book.
(I'm fully aware that most of the audience here would probably classify me as a kid, but damn, I still want a book! ) Every single E-learning slide duly screenshotted and repeated later.
Following E-learning (and telling my GF that I'd be gone for new-year) some equipment purchases was necessary. Another backup light, a reel, more spools, an LDS manager that stated he hoped I got ill, as he was VERY envious, and unsuccessful attempts at getting a cheap second DC).

After nearly ripping my zipper apart numerous times, I decided a P-valve would be a good idea too. (For some reason I've never seen anyone other than myself, standing at the beach, D12 and stage still on the rig, primary light lit, swimfeet still on, taking a leak in the shallow waters..)

diving starts off 28th of December in the Plura system - and I'm preparing to get beat up-with my shir handed to me way too often:p

TLDR
Newbie starts cave training in Plura, Norway

Good luck! Looking forward to hear how it goes for you!

I just did cavern/intro to cave in a cold former lead/zinc mine in Wisconsin, Midwest USA a few weeks ago. Water temp 50F/10C. Air temp was about 32F/0FC. Drysuits, dry gloves. I was the only one with a heated vest. I did the book. I know what you mean about preferring the book.

My Florida and Mexico cave trained friends thought I was just nuts. :D

Yes, p-valve is a very good idea!

Sounds like what I'm heading for 3C water, no idea of air temp at this time of year. Heated vest (with battery outside drysuit) is absolutely on the wishlist!
Dry gloves on the other hand secured:)

How did you find your course?
I've been preparing with the documentary "Diving into the unknown" which is from this cave system, my GF didn't like that too well

Sounds like what I'm heading for 3C water, no idea of air temp at this time of year. Heated vest (with battery outside drysuit) is absolutely on the wishlist!
Dry gloves on the other hand secured:)

How did you find your course?
I've been preparing with the documentary "Diving into the unknown" which is from this cave system, my GF didn't like that too well

It was a lot of work and pretty intense, but it was more fun than I expected! Instructor urged me to do it, and I'm glad I did. Really changed my diving. I've done one day of diving at the mine since class. We had several inches of snow on the ground. It was fun hauling tanks sliding on the snow! I'll be back out there once the holidays are over (we only have access when instructor is there).

I'm sure your instructor has already suggested this, but I'll just add - make sure to take extra undergarments, socks, glove liners, and a set of dry clothes every day of your course. I had dry suit leaks and had to change undies every day (I was drying everything in the hotel laundry each night).

That's a bold move, but totally following the thread!

Fully aware it is a bold move, but I don't see too many outcomes I wouldn't like:
1: I hate caves - That would be good to know
2: I go through the course, failing. - I'll definitely learn a lot
3: I pass - which would be lovely:)

Regardless, it will for sure be a VERY demanding trip!

2: I go through the course, failing. - I'll definitely learn a lot

There are no failures, just stuff that you need to work on, and come back to get your pass.

Are you taking your cave course through IANTD? If so when you pass you should have access to the manual through the member's site. I recently went back to the IANTD site and they gave me access to the trimix manual as well. Which was really nice as the IANTD manuals are freaking expensive.

Now I do wish TDI gave you the ebook version of their manuals as well.

There are no failures, just stuff that you need to work on, and come back to get your pass.

Are you taking your cave course through IANTD? If so when you pass you should have access to the manual through the member's site. I recently went back to the IANTD site and they gave me access to the trimix manual as well. Which was really nice as the IANTD manuals are freaking expensive.

Now I do wish TDI gave you the ebook version of their manuals as well.

Thanks for kind words. The Cavern/intro course is TDI, so I guess no free access later

Thanks for kind words. The Cavern/intro course is TDI, so I guess no free access later

You do have access to the e-learning after your course. I did my SDI OW four years ago and I still have access to it. Apparently SDi/TDI is now making PDFs of the e-learning available so you can use it without internet access. Check to see if that’s an option for cavern/intro to cave.

Plura is a nice cave and seemed like it would be a good place to learn.
Ina and Janni have a pretty nice setup. I don't know what he's like as an instructor.

I'm sure your instructor has already suggested this, but I'll just add - make sure to take extra undergarments, socks, glove liners, and a set of dry clothes every day of your course. I had dry suit leaks and had to change undies every day (I was drying everything in the hotel laundry each night).

The OP will have a terrible time in Plura with even a tiny leak. Janni (his instructor) has a complete dive shop right there, just fix the leaks or borrow a backup suit before continuing. If his undergarments are so wet to require a laundry to dry he's not going to finish the course and will probably be in the hospital with hypothermia. 3C water is not forgiving at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom