Newbies going to Orlando Florida....suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

checkinout

Reaction score
We will be in Orlando, FL from april 2 - 10th. Where can a newly certified couple go for some great diving? We will have our own gear minus tanks and are looking into anything from the gulf to the atlantic, destination isnt a priority. The wife isnt comfortable with anything below 60.....maybe 70 feet.

Any ideas would be appreciated, we are looking forward to the trip and trying to forget about harsh Michigan weather...lol

Mark & Nicole

Hi checkinout:
Welcome to scuab board!
I'm going to move your post over to the Florida Conch Divers section.
You'll get a bunch of answers, fast and quick that way.
Have fun!

Hi guys.... well... if you want to do fresh water (spring) diving, you have a few options:

1. Drive north 3 hours or so to High Springs and do Ginnie Springs. Very nice, $27.00 admission, you get to dive a nice cavern as open water divers and carry light (it is safe, so ow divers are allowed).

2. Drive NW about two hours and go to Crystal River to snorkel with the manatess, though it will probably be too late for that. You can call and check before you leave.
Awesome experience, and you can then dive the Rainbow River (easy drift dive). Cost is about $40.00 if you have your equipment.

3. Drive E about thirty minutes and do an open water dive at Blue Springs. You can't carry lights. Entrance fee is $10.00

and if you want to do ocean diving:

4. Drive E until you hit the coast, then drive south about 2.5 hours to West Palm or Ft. Lauderdale and do some very nice ocean diving in the reefs. Best diving in Florida without hitting the Keys (and some people will argue, it's better).

Check out my site (below) for more info on these dives except for the South Florida ones.

You'll have a blast!

I second the West Palm/Jupiter suggestion. If you get seasick make sure to take your pills or whatever as I haven't been there when the seas are below 3ft.

West Palm is still my favorite memory of diving -- amazing turtle population, gorgeous water, etc. However, the drift dives we did were around 80 feet. I'm no expert on the dive sites around there but make sure you aren't signing up for a "deep" one.
We used Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures-- http://www.scuba-adventures.com/ -- and had the best DM (Jane) ever. There are plenty ops down there, though.
Have a great trip!

We left Mich. with our sail boat and ended up at W. Palm Beach. You can get shallower dive boats that only go to 60 ft. The drift diving is so easy here. Right now the water is about 75 degrees.

checkinout:
We will be in Orlando, FL from april 2 - 10th. Where can a newly certified couple go for some great diving? We will have our own gear minus tanks and are looking into anything from the gulf to the atlantic, destination isnt a priority. The wife isnt comfortable with anything below 60.....maybe 70 feet.

Any ideas would be appreciated, we are looking forward to the trip and trying to forget about harsh Michigan weather...lol

Mark & Nicole

of shallow dives in the Tampa bay area the reefs are better on the east coast but on the west you will not get deeper than 70'. May be a good idea to split it do a few shallow dives on the west side then if your wife is ok then try a little deeper on the east coast.

Definitely try to get in at Epcot Center to dive in their aquarium, The Living Seas. It's a blast! Great equipment, great staff; good selection of marine life, but it's interacting with the guests on the other side of the glass that you'll remember for life. You'll love it. They'll provide all your equipment, but if you have a prescription mask you can use it. The showering facilities afterwards are a nice bonus--so you're not stuck being sticky for the rest of the day.

It's amazing to see the smiles on kids and adults as you do somersaults in the water. And it's even more fun walking back to the locker room through the attraction in your dripping wetsuit and the tourists clap for your "performance".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom