Newbie with Q's - when to buy equipment, evaluate package deal at LDS please :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Galun

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! My wife and I got OW certified in Tahiti on our honeymoon in May. We like the sport and we are ready to dive into the sport now, so to speak!

My first question is the right time to purchase equipment. I have seen advice on buying immediately or buying later after trying some stuff. It seems like there are four major "pieces" to scuba equipment - reg, octo, computer, and bcd. It appears that not many people find problems, or dare I say a bit indifferent, with their reg, octo, and computer after initial setup. I do see lots of discussion on BCD. Here's what I am looking at - I can buy the full package at a discount and most likely will not find problems with the reg, octo, and computer. I get the BCD at a package discount and if I do want to switch later I can sell it, all in I lose maybe $150 to $200 for buying the BCD now. A weekend rental of all equipment is $50 - $75 so it seems like I am not at much risk with buying equipment even as a newbie. What do you guys think about this?

Second, please help me evaluate these deals at my LDS. They seem to be pretty good but some advice is much appreciated!

1) Oceanic GT3 reg, Oceanic Swivel Octo, Oceanic Islander BCD, Oceanic Veo 250 Navcon, Oceanic Voyager 3 bag - package price of about $1175 plus tax.

2) Oceanic Alpha 8 Sport reg, Oceanic Alpha 8 Octo, Oceanic Islander BCD, Oceanic Veo 180 Navcon - package price of about $950 plus tax.

Thanks!

Deal one is, in part based on an Oceanic promotion that gets you a free bag. But it's still a good deal with a 29% discount (not considering the free bag). I'd rather have the GT3 than the Aplha 8 and I'd also rather the Swivel Octo to the Alpha 8 Octo, but then I'd get the Air XS 2 rather than the Swivel Octo (I know, a lot of folks don't like the integrated inflators, but I do).

I'm not sure how it all works, but there is a 30 day try it out deal:

30-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
Individual dealer participation in this program is voluntary. This guarantee warrants that at any time during the first 30 days of purchase, your Oceanic product fails to meet your expectations, that product may be exchanged by a participating Authorized Oceanic Pro Dealer. No questions asked.

If your LDS is part of that program your BCD risk could be non-existant.

I think there are a few things you can reliably say:

1. If you buy gear, you will dive more.

2. If you buy gear early, you are more likely to be dissatisfied with something. I think your analysis that it's likely to be the BC is probably correct.

If you have enough money that replacing gear you aren't happy with doesn't bother you, buy something which is a workable approximation and dive it. When you figure out what you really want, you can buy that and e-bay the original.

If you are severely budget-challenged and really need to do the right thing the first time, throw yourself on the mercy of other local divers and borrow as much as you can until you know (or think you know) what you want, then buy that.

I bought early, dove a lot, and replaced almost all of it in six months. I did NOT replace my regulator, although I replaced the Air2 with an octo. I DID replace my computer and my BC.

The other thing that you get by buying right away is"consistancy!

Unfortunately many new divers are left to teach themselves the finer points (trying to be polite here) and that's pretty hard if you're in different gear all the time.

Other than mask and fins, IMO, the most important things to have of your own are the things that effect buoyancy control, trim or where critical equipment is stowed.

My husband and I bought all of our own gear immediately after certification, and after 3 years I've changed my BC and had to replace my fins and mask, but my husband hasn't changed anything.

Owning our own gear not only gives us the peace of mind that we know it's service and usage history, but it's like driving a car you've had for years....comfortable, you know where all the buttons are, and you don't spend time trying to get to know it.

TheFoggyMask:
Computers are worthless.
No, they may be useless, but they are never worthless.

I don't think he asked for a computer debate from the ludites of the forum... :rolleyes:

Try on some gear before you buy it. Regulators you can get pretty good opinions on the different ones and easily get one you'll be happy with for awhile... get the best regulator you can afford, it makes a difference. Different regulators breath differently, some breath harder at depth making you use more air leading to shorter bottom times. Octo will simply come as a preference as to which you prefer, but it's nothing to worry over for now.

Computers/guages can be a bit more tricky. You have to decide if you want air integrated or not, if you want wristmount, console, or other, stuff like that. But overall, it's not to hard to goto a shop look at the selection and find the one that does what you want it to do. If you want to advance into nitrox later on in your diving career, make sure your computer is capable of handling that.

The BC is the hard part. You really have to decide where you want to take your diving and try out different BCs before you can make a definate choice there.

The advice I would give is to take your time, if you are a new diver you want to make a few dives so that you build up alittle on your experience and you will have a better idea what you want out of your gear. this will also give you a chance to see what other are using and ask questions. Dont get sucked into a package deal, I find you will be happier when you pick out each piece of equipment you may not get the same deal but your getting what you really want. Also look at some other **brands**

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom