Newbie, question about my wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ciphered

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there!

Just bought my very first wetsuit, a BARE Elastek 7mm, after having rented a few times. And... it's really tight (duh). The legs seem to fit well as the neoprene goes well around them and offers a nice snug fit while the torso is a tiny bit more loose but if that becomes a real problem I'll probably put a neoprene vest (2mm-3mm) under it. As you may tell, I'm diving in fairly cold waters (20C/68F).

I'm more concerned about my arms, especially my hands. When the suit is on, veins in my hand seem a bit more protuberant than usual. Plus, when I raise my hands above the level of my heart, which in a normal case makes these veins "disappear", well the veins stay bulky. I have otherwise not felt any numbness nor seen much redness in my hands so I guess it's not that bad. But all of this to say that I feel that the suit is a bit overly tight on the forearms and hands.

Now since I only bought this suit a couple days ago I haven't had the chance to try it in water yet. Should I expect my hands to feel a little better in the water? Is the neoprene going to be easier to stretch when wet? Is it going to loosen up, even just a little, over time?

At the moment I'm just a little scared to be stuck with a new, expensive wetsuit that I won't be able to use :-/

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Overall is the suit uncomfortable? Personally, when I buy a new suit I throw it on and get it wet(yes I have jumped in the shower with a suit on before). I've found that if you get a suit wet and move around in it that it tends to "slide around" on your body and the fit finds itself.

Funny story...I once made a trip to Florida for some cave diving and my dry suit developed a bad leak. So I picked up a cheap 5 mil from the LDS...put it on and immediately did a cannonball into the run at Ginnie Springs to get the suit wet.

So...get it on and wet...let us know how that works out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom