Newbie needs some advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prouty33

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys, I apologize, as this might become a lengthy post (first one too!). Been reading the forums for quite a while now, absorbing all the knowledge I can. Now that its diving season, I can't wait to get in the water. I've read the countless threads of gear advice saying to rent for a while, but I've done the math and don't see point in throwing money down the drain, if I want to upgrade something later (BC for example, as I know I will upgrade next year most likely), I can sell what I've got and put that towards new stuff...

Anyway, some background info: I'm a new diver, was certified last November and haven't hit the water since. I want to dive anything and everything in the area, I'm not too concerned with seeing the most amazing things, I just want to get wet. I'll be diving lakes, rivers, ocean, ponds, mudholes, whatever...All somewhat cold (as I'm in Massachusetts). My budget is limited, I'm finishing up my sophmore year in college and money will be tight. I've done looots of research, and have an idea what I want, but can't really decide...thats where you guys come in :D

I have a wetsuit and BC, so mainly I'm concerned with my regs. I've come down to 3 options:
1. Original thought was a new Sherwood Blizzard. I was trained on sherwoods and know they are indestructable...plus nearly all the LDSs in my area can service them. If i get into Ice diving (which I'd like to, someday) then I think it'd serve me just fine, but I'm somewhat concerned with breathability (as my rental regs made me pull fairly hard to get air, I wasn't too fond of the feeling).

2. Second option, the one I'm leaning towards, is one of the Aqualung Legends, as it comes with the free octo (Are these octos any good? I think I've decided that I want to bungee my secondary, so I need something that I know i can breathe off). I can handle spending more on a better reg like these since I'd save on buying the octo. Also my prefered LDS carries them and I can get a 10% discount for training there...

3. From everything I've read Scubapro is the way to go. My third idea was buying a lightly used MK25/S600 or something similar, as I was hoping to not spend more than 500 or so for a primary and secondary (and I wouldn't get the free parts for life!), and I think they are considerably more expensive than that bought new(though prices are impossible to find on the internet!).

Any thoughts on any of the regs, setups, costs, etc.. would be greatly appreciated! :D

Since you are in cold water territory and may be bit with the extended season bug and have limited funds the Sherwood Blizzard sounds attractive. That's what my wife and I dive aside form my double hose. Sherwood has 2 years of free parts and they are cheap afterwards so don't get too jazzed with others free parts for life deal.

Remember that deep freshwater can get you into a cold water situation almost year round so a cold water regulator is virtually essential for New England diving.

With Aqualung I believe you need to go Supreme for cold capability.

Duno about SP.

Pete

I would seriously look at the regs that outsell all others globally and are used in more dive schools than any other due to the fact that they are bulletproof. I am talking about the Aqualung Titans. The LX range is awesome and is one level below the Legends.

They are seriously good regs and I have not heard one bad thing about them.

hey prouty,
we've all been there, very frustrating decision.. after countless headaches and research, i went with zeagle - good reg, good price, lifetime parts POLICY! thanks scubatoys/zeagle!!

other good cold weather regs but a bit pricy are scubpro's mk17, of course apeks ds4, aqualung legend lx supreme, i'd say atomic z2 , but to get the enviro seal ..., service becomes expensive which is something else to think about, unless you will be servicing your own.

i know most people say they've taken their non enviromental sealed to many different places.. just wash it properly, service it annually and should be ok... but for me - better safe than sorry.. it is an investment!!

Thanks for the responses, though they just gave me more options to think about :banghead:

I think I want to go with the Legend ACD Supreme, as I can probably get a decent deal and the free octo....

Back
Top Bottom