Newbie needs help on Key Largo Trip....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given there are three of you, you could book with a six-pack (HMS Minnow is a very good operation) and then you'd do the exact dives you want to do.

The Minnow is docked behind Holiday Inn at MM 100 and that puts Kawama a very short distance away. Kawama is pretty choice with a BBQ area, etc.

another vote for Silent world and blue water divers- both good. I have stayed at a variety of places in key largo - Holiday inn and Ramada are both nice - both walkable to the dock for many ops. Note- Silent world operate from a dock 3 miles up the road, but it's not that much of a problem.
Key Largo is good diving and nice and laid-back - enjoy

HORIZON DIVERS!!!

Horizon Divers News

You can call em up and ask for Kat Patton! I went there this Summer and she was the dive master there. We had a lot of fun. Their rates are pretty decent too. My highest recommendations to Kat and the crew!

I've dove with Quiescence before and I would highly recommend them!
They have 3 six pack boats and are just of off US1 in Key Largo at mile marker 103.
They'll try to group divers by dive/location preference give them a try.

Wys.

You've received recommendations on the DiveOps I'd go with.

So here is some more things to consider.

As new divers, if you want to dive any of the deep wrecks, you will either need to be AOW certified, or *maybe* show proof of similar dive profiles in the past year, or hire a DM to dive with you. Most Ops will NOT put newish OW certified on deep wrecks, and with good reason.

As new divers, you may suck air. If you think that is the case, go with an Op that can rent you AL100's, or steel 100's.

Depending upon where you stay, find advice on where to eat. My favorite is the Fish House, but there is a lot of good food in the Keys.

If you are not aware of this, you will need a rental car.

As new divers, big crowds won't really impact your diving, but you may impact theirs.

Big boats are more comfortable, and easier for new divers IMO. Six packs are over-rated, and MUCH less comfortable especially if they are full. If you tend to get sea sick, stick with a larger boat. I guess my main point here is don't assume that you need a six pack to have a good dive trip.

Good Luck and have fun.

Big boats are more comfortable, and easier for new divers IMO. Six packs are over-rated, and MUCH less comfortable especially if they are full. If you tend to get sea sick, stick with a larger boat. I guess my main point here is don't assume that you need a six pack to have a good dive trip.

Good Luck and have fun.

This is a really good point- When I first went to Key Largo I went with the bigger boats for exactly these reasons - Sea-dwellers has a nice operation and a big stable boat. This means when it comes to "pool's open" time, on a bigger boat you have more room to move and take your time.

Another thing I just though of- and you may already be prepared for this, but most dive ops in the keys will not give you a DM to dive with (unlike most carrib resorts etc), so you are on your own as far as navigation is concerned. I'm sure you are ready for this, but thought I might mention it just in case.

I've stayed at a few places in the Largo area. Most comfy, Kawama's with Becky's condo's. Cheapest, Pennecamp camping. Absolute convenience Holiday Inn. All 3 of these are all convenient to dive ops and fill spots.

Two top sea sleighs, Blue Water with Brent and Conch with Gary.

Becky created a great thread for Keys General Info that was stickied due to the mass amount of info it had.

Another vote for Ocean Divers. They were a really good dive op and extremely friendly. Very accomodating. Definitely be sure to visit the French and Molasses reefs. I've never seen anything quite like them. Spiegel Grove is massive but it's not an real easy dive if there's a lot of current. Make sure you get a pic of yourself by the American flag near the bow too. Prime photo opportunity if ever there was one.

Ocean Divers is good, and I second the thoughts about larger boats. New divers are fearful of crowds, but six people on a small boat can be more cramped than 25 on a larger boat. Big boats are more stable, generally provide a better platform for entry and exit and have some amenties, like a toilet, that smaller boats may lack. Once everyone is in the water, the 'crowd' isn't much of an issue. Also, among 20 or 25 divers, there are bound to be other new divers and, when I go, I hope at least one or two who are even clumsier than me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom