Newbie needs advice on BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhbmrcool

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I know this has been asked many times but I would appreciate some advise on jacket style BC I am a novice dive looking for a midrange price backpack warm water air travel are considerations there are many choices its confusing I dont want to start an argument on whose is best just some suggestions at quality midrange BC seaquest zeagle tusa scubapro... and exact models so I can research them and try to make an informed purchase,thanks.:D

Even though it's a back inflate i've heard good things about the Zeagle Escape and Stilletto. I have a Ranger LTD and it is well made and very durable so I would imagine (and have heard) that all of Zeagle's BC's are well made. My Ranger is a little bit on the heavy side for traveling but the escape is what i would go with if i were to be doing traveling....it does have the new integrated weight system in it too that replaces the ripcord system. try looking at zeagle.com.

Just my opinion

Why do you want a jacket BC?

You can get some very nice lightweight BP/W combos, great for travelling to warm water destinations, Halcyon/Oxycheq etc.

Personally I use a Halcyon Eclipse with a 30# single tank wing and alloy BP

Maybe more expensive in the short term, but cheaper than buying a jacket and then changing to a BP/W setup later

Added advantage is that if you decide to dive doubles later on, you can use the same BP and just buy a new wing

Light, streamlined, comfortable, versatile = win

There are alot of very experienced technical divers, dive masters, and instructors on this board that offer awesome advice. And if you search you'll see that the common answer is that there is no one recommendation and you should try many before you actually invest in one, or you will hear that you should go ahead and invest in a BP/W and for good reason. ANd both of the answers are true.

But sometimes I kinda think that they forgot how overwhelming it can be when your first jump into the sport. You don't know what brands are the good brands, which ones are not, and which ones are just overpriced brand names. Or at least thats the situation I found myself in. Being new to diving, I've vested hours of online product research and bought every magazine on the shelf. And came to the conclusion that you really can't go by a review of a bias reviewer, which generally is all of them. And just to note, I now own two different BC's, neither of which I really like. And the trial an error approach gets expensive real fast.

As you'll find there are typicall three common marketed type of BCD's. There are the most common jacket style, the ever growing more common back inflate style, and the technical common back plate with wing.

If your looking for a jacket style all the brands you mentioned offer a decent product. But as they are so common, they are also commonly available used, which I highly recommend over new. The reason being is if your new, more than likely you will wanna change what you have with experience. And jacket BC's are a whole lot cheaper used than new. One can easily spend $500 on a new jacket BC, which after the next 5 or 10 dives you'll start to dislike. But the same exact BC's in excellent condition are all over the place for less than half that price, being sold by the person who already figured out they wanted something else. Ebay, craigslist, and local newspaper adds, etc. Heck even ask your local dive shop if they have any used gear. My whole two sets of oceanic BC's, scubapro regs, oceanic integrated computers, fins, etc, I bought off craigslist for $500. And it wasn't bottom line equiptment either, nor was is worn out or in bad shape.

Personally I'm kinda leaning to back inflate BC's over jacket style, some of the ones I'm looking at are the Mares Icon, Mares Pegasus, Scubapro Knighthawk, and Cressi Backjack. There really isn't any magic trick or special reson one is better than the other. The bells and whistles are about the same, maybe a few minor features but nothing significant. And honestly I'm not even sure if I'll like the one I get. When it comes to the Jacket style I favor the Cressi or the Mares models. Though many people think highly of them, I disliked my experiences with the scubapro classic or really any scubapro jacket type BC I used. I have yet to really be impressed by zeagle BC's, but there are alot of avid fans of the Ranger.

The last piece of advice I can give you, is get hands on. Go to your local dive shops and put your hands on the product, try it on, inflate it, ask to wear it with a tank, see if you really like it. Even if you stop by one on the way home from work, just to look at the thing in real life. Do so before you buy it online, if your planning on doing so.

I just bought my gear and I wanted a back inflated BC.
I ended up getting a Jacket BC.
I found a great deal I couldn't pass up on a Sherwood Avid.
I love it. I would recommend it.
It is very adjustable, durable, and has plenty of D-rings and fair pockets.
If you are really wanting a Jacket style BC check out the Sherwood Avid.

I would like to thank all of you for responding I know this is a question asked all to often and seems simple to a person with years of diving behind them however to a novice it can become fairly confusing fast and trail and error can be very costly I will weigh all the comments here thanks again

I would like to thank all of you for responding I know this is a question asked all to often and seems simple to a person with years of diving behind them however to a novice it can become fairly confusing fast and trail and error can be very costly I will weigh all the comments here thanks again

I know this has been asked many times but I would appreciate some advise on jacket style BC I am a novice dive looking for a midrange price backpack warm water air travel are considerations there are many choices its confusing:D

Hi Rhbmrcool,

Check out our Solution Finder under the question 'Is a jacket BC or a harness BC right for me?' This might help answer a lot of your questions about BCs and arm you with useful information when trying to sort out which BC might be best for you.

Best,
Ag

As a new diver and recreational diver (I doubt that I'd ever go tech but never say never), I was turned onto the wing&plate setup and I will never contemplate the rec style BC again.

If up front cost is an issue then just rent for now and save up to get a good backplate&wing setup. Since that you're going to buy your own and it will have to last you for a long time, then get a proper BC and call it a day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom