Newbie Low Budget Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AaronRiot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok. I am not a photographer. Never will be. I'm too impatient. But I need some help.

On New Years, my girlfriend's camera got busted. Wasn't me. Swear it. She doesn't dive. We have a max $200 budget, prefer less. She is active and likes to travel with it. I have no idea what to look for and am lost !

I only have a day or three to make a decision and have little research time. I trust you guys, and figure you'd all know what's up even though it's not necessarily diving related.

Many thanks for your suggestions, tips, and advice!

Edit--no go pro and she loves viewfinders, like the ones you look through.

Last edited:
Hate to be the bearer of bad new but my advice would be to just go diving.

For $200.00 you won't find any camera ESPECIALLY with a VIEWFINDER and UNDERWATER HOUSING to shoot recognizable photos. Or in decent condition enough to last maybe even a whole dive trip......

Then again people on FacePlant seem super happy with the absolutely hideous OOF SHOTS (out of focus, can't even tell what the hell it is) photos from some cell phone cameras :(

I'm not talking Instagram shots which I think can be somewhat creative, I'm talking absolute CRAP...........

Until you have a budget of $400.00 for a decent P&S (point and shoot) CAMERA and lowest cost housing I think you'd be throwing money away. Even that won't get you color farther away than 2' plus lots of backscatter in your pics due to the lens and flash being too close together.

Other may disagree.........Too each his own!

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

Thanks, as mentioned above, I am asking a general camera question. Yes, this is a diving photography forum, however, I'm sure many of you photo pros could point a rushed buyer in the right direction for some above water point and shoot. And I trust Scuba Board folk. So, anyone else care to weigh in and shop with me?

I agree with David.
However, if you're just looking for a camera (without a housing), you can get a used G10 for $200 or less. It's a very good camera with full manual mode and a viewfinder. BUT the viewfinders on the Canon G series are in my opinion not very usable...
And the G10 has the benefit of being a great underwater camera as well, so in case you ever want to get into underwater photography you'll just need to get a housing.

I just bought a Canon S100 for $249 from Adorama. This is because the new S110 just came out. A real great value if you can swing an extra $50.

Yes, the Canon S series is great, small size and almost same quality as the G series. You won't have a viewfinder but as I said before, I don't think you'll end up using the viewfinder on a G10 anyway... S100 for $250 is a bargain!

canon S100 is a good camera, can probably get an older s95 cheaper, the canon elph 110 is not bad as a pocket camera for her no viewfinders but dont thing any cheaper camera has them anymore.

A Fuji Finepix S4200 is $129. It's a 14MP camera with an electronic viewfinder. It has a 24x Optical zoom also. Optical is better. It also shoots 1280x720 HD video. 3" LCD screen - you trade a little size for the viewfinder on top. It's a nice little camera my sister has used a previous version for travel/family photos for a few years. It also has this natural light feature - it takes the same shot with/without flash and lets you decide which is better later. It electronically enhances the light levels on the non-flash shot when the picture is taken.

Fujifilm FinePix S4200 Digital Camera (Black) 16201333 B&H Photo

At that price you'll need to add a memory card but they start at $15 for 8GB. For $25 you can get 32GB cards.

Review: Fujifilm FinePix S4200 Review - Digital cameras - CNET Reviews

For $20 more there's the Fuji S4500. Same basic camera with a 30x optical zoom instead of 24x. And it appears to add Electronic Image Stabilization - you may want that.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/841407-REG/Fujifilm_16202014_FinePix_S4500_Digital_Camera.html

I don't think there's a housing for it. I don't think you care though right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom