Newbie light buyer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also consider the BX2 from dive rite. It works quite well and when you upgrade you can use it as a backup.
I have 2 of the Dive Rite BX2's, as backups. Great lights, at a good price. Twist on-off, no switch to fumble with.

The D710 switch is very low profile, hard to turn it on accidentally but for transport you can also twist the head a touch, it’s a pretty nice light, give it a try.

If someone gave me one to use for a bit, I would try it.

I can't see myself spending money on one, though. I've had other lights with a push button to turn on, that also had "lock" systems to prevent accidental turn-on. Somehow, even when clipped to my harness during a dive, I always, sooner or later, seem to find some way to accidentally press that button enough to have it accidentally turn on. And that is, of course, a situation where I wouldn't want to untwist the head to prevent accidental turn-on.

The D710 just doesn't solve a problem I have, so no reason to spend money for one. I have lights as bright and brighter, if I need that.

I'm one of the OrcaTorch online reviewers, and I got a D550 for free by writing a review. I liked the light just fine; the build quality felt good, and the light worked quite well underwater. If you're looking for an inexpensive light, it'll do the job nicely.

That being said, the D550 has two downsides. 1) The tail switch is a bit tall, and it's possible to hit the switch unintentionally when it's in your pocket or clipped off. 2) The light isn't compatible with dryglove cuff rings and a soft Goodman handle; just moving one's wrist will thump the switch and turn the light on/off.

Also, the Goodman handle that comes with the light is made for Chinese hands; it's tiny.

If someone gave me one to use for a bit, I would try it.

I can't see myself spending money on one, though. I've had other lights with a push button to turn on, that also had "lock" systems to prevent accidental turn-on. Somehow, even when clipped to my harness during a dive, I always, sooner or later, seem to find some way to accidentally press that button enough to have it accidentally turn on. And that is, of course, a situation where I wouldn't want to untwist the head to prevent accidental turn-on.

The D710 just doesn't solve a problem I have, so no reason to spend money for one. I have lights as bright and brighter, if I need that.
Send me your address back channel I have a spare.

Okay, so thank you @lexvil!

He sent me a D710 to try. I just did some comparisons between the D710, the DGX700, and the Big Blue VTL9000P-Max, which I received last Friday.

The DGX is the shortest. The Orcatorch is the skinniest. The BB has roughly 2.5 times the battery capacity of the other 2.

All lights were run with fully charged batteries.

Photos taken with an iPhone 14 Pro Max.

2023-10-02 14.01.32 (Large).jpg

D710 on the left on High. DGX700 on the right.

To the eye (in person), the DGX700 looks a little brighter, the spot looks a little bigger, and the spot has a more sharply defined edge where it transitions to spill.

I know it's harder to tell from looking at pictures on the web than seeing it in person.

2023-10-02 15.15.14 (Large).jpg

D710 on the left. BB VTL9000P-Max on the right.

The D710 in on High.

The BB is on its spot beam High setting. So, claimed 3500 lumens from the BB.

The BB is noticeably brighter than the D710. It seems like a bigger difference to the eye than what the photo shows.

2023-10-02 18.45.46 (Large).jpg

The D710 has a Turbo mode that you access by pressing and holding the button. This is with me doing that.

When I press and hold the D710 button, I can see the brightness jump up a little. The specs claim that it is 3000 lumens on Turbo mode. All I can say is that if you weren't watching when the brightness increased, you might be able to tell it's any brighter. It IS a little brighter, but not much.

The BB spot at 3500 is still way brighter. And a bit bigger spot. The D710 spot is smaller than the other two, as I guess it should be. Orcatorch claims a 6 degree beam angle. The DGX700 claims 8 degrees. The BB claims 10 degrees.

2023-10-02 18.53.38 (Large).jpg

The D710 and DGX700 have the same battery capacity.

They have the same LED emitter or very nearly so. The one in the picture on the Orcatorch website looks identical to the one I see when looking into the DGX700. But, the one I see in the D710 looks just slightly different. I'm guessing it's still basically the same.

Orcatorch claims 3000 lumesn on Turbo and 1700 lumens on High. DGX claims 700 lumens.

I'm calling Shenanigans on Orcatorch's claims for lumens.

If the Orcatorch will burn for as long as they claim, then there is no way it even CAN put out 1700 lumens. Not for 1 hour, 40 minutes. It just does not have the battery capacity to put out that much light for that long.

To my uncalibrated eye, the DGX is putting out a brighter and bigger spot. That means it is actually putting out a fair bit more lumens. I can confirm that it gives runtime of at least roughly what DGX claims, which is 90 minutes and then gradually dimming for another 90 minutes. I'd call it a solid 2+ hours of very useable light, personally.

I just wish the DGX had a way to run it at half brightness, but it does not (that I know of).

Regardless, this comparison confirms my bias :wink: that the DGX700 is what I would recommend to the OP and what I will continue to use for myself.

Oh, and I do still have 2 x Xtar D26 Whales and 2 x Xtar D26 1600s.

I don't recommend the 1600s because they use a "lock" mechanism of pressing and holding the button to unlock. I've had mine turn on by accident way too many times.

The D26 Whale is a good light. It it basically as bright as the DGX700 and will burn longer (with a 26650 battery). And it has different brightness levels. And the Whale has a mechanical quarter turn lock, instead of a magnetic lock.

The reasons I don't use the Whales anymore are:

- the quarter turn lock gets sand/grit in there and becomes hard to turn.
- it's much fatter than the DGX600 or DGX700. When clipped off to my shoulder straps, the skinnier lights are more pleasant to be carrying. And, the skinnier lights are simpler. Disengaging the quarter turn lock on a Whale can be tricky with gloves on - especially after it gets some grit in it (see point #1). The DGX lights turn on/off easily and reliably, gloves or not.
- the DGX700 lasts long enough for my needs. If I need more burntime, I am stepping up to something with much greater capacity and brightness - not just a little more brightness and burntime.

Also, I note that with the DGX lights, you have an unlimited return policy. DGX's policy is if you are EVER dissatisfied with something you bought from them, you can return it for full store credit of the purchase price. If a DGX700 floods and dies 10 years later, and you ask them to, DGX will give you your original purchase price as store credit. (and I imagine if you abuse that, they'll ban you sooner or later, as they should)

I too am looking to purchase my first torch. I also have roughly like 40 dives under my belt and really only dive in clear water on vacations to warm water areas. It would primarily be used for looking under shelves, crevices, etc, at recreational depths, usually not even below 60ft. Then if I ever make it to a night dive, I'd want one for that obviously too.

Would that DGX700 be a solid bet that would meet my needs?

When I search on Amazon or even on scuba.com, it's just so overwhelming with how many there are and the prices just vary so much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom