Newbie here . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

olkev

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

I am VERY interested in Vintage Diving. I have a late model AquaMaster that needs to be serviced and have some mouthpiece valves. I am also very interested in the Phoenix upgrade.

My basic question is this: My wife is wanting to take up SCUBA and she will get the "cram" course that is offered these days but, I'm sure if I were to show up with no BC, a double hose reg etc, I will at least get frowns if not told you can't dive with us. "How do you deal with the SCUBA Police?"

I did my diving classes in the late '80s with an "old school" instructor. We had a lot of pool time, snorkeling before we ever got to a tank, doff and don, buddy breathe, had to really learn how to use dive tables, etc. My time with diving without a BC is limited although I like the streamlined effect. It seems as if all of the equipment these days is a result of less basic dive training. What I learned in my basic class, they seem to charge for in advanced classes these days. I also like to plan my dives, not overweight, I like J-valves because it is redundant without being obtrusive, etc. Being on the high plains of West Texas, there are not many people to turn to, not to mention having to travel several miles just to do some lake diving.

What is the best way to further learn the ins and outs of this type of diving? What is safe and what isn't?

Thanks in advance!

Howdy:

Welcome, I'm also new to Vintage Diviing. After being intoduced to it by Roger Miller (turtleguy) in Hawaii, I am going to make my first dives here in Canda on Vintage Gear in 40 Degree Water this weekend.

I also am using a Royal Aquamaster, purchased and completey redone by Bryan at http://www.vintagedoublehose.com I've also purchased some items at http://www.vintagescubasupply.com both these guys can completly rebuild your Aquamaster and do the Phoenix upgrade. My LDS has been very supportive of my vintage pursuits, even helping me assemble my twin steel 72 rig with vintage Dacor double valve(supplied by the LDS).
DSC04833.jpg

The best support you'll recieve is from the members that post to this sub forum, I've found better information and more support(no ego's here) here than any of the other forums on SB.

Just my view as a new Vintage Diver

BTW also check out http://www.naved.info/index.php

Welcome to the retro world of vintage diving. A couple of things that you can use: the Phoenix conversion is only available through Vintagedoublehose.com not through VSS.com. With the Phoenix conversion to your Aqua Master, you have all the necessary ports to make this regulator acceptable with any dive operation. I use mine when I do a liveaboard or resort diving experience. It can accomodate up to 4 low pressure accessories (BC, alternate, etc) and has 3 high pressure ports. When I dive at an area that is not commercial, i.e., private boat, shore, etc., I just use the gear that was available in the early 1960's including a 72 tank or twin 38s with a harness. The last dive that I did with a dive op, I used one of their Al 80s with a vintage "style" travel harness, my Phoenix with a Seatec "horsecollar" BC with an AirII inflator/alternate, XS Scuba octo, and gauge console with SPG, compass and Gekko computer. The Phoenix allows the best of both worlds, vintage and modern, and is considered to be the ultimate eclectic form of vintage diving.
Allan

simonbeans:
the Phoenix conversion is only available through Vintagedoublehose.com not through VSS.com.

OOOps my bad...I'm still learning too! Thanks for the Correction. BTW, Bryan does give great service. My RAM looks and breathes like it just came out of the Box.:D

CatalinaCanuck:
OOOps my bad...I'm still learning too! Thanks for the Correction. BTW, Bryan does give great service. My RAM looks and breathes like it just came out of the Box.:D

Probably better.
Bryan does a great job.

Olkev
As mentioned above, you will find good information here and on the other two vintage equipment message boards (VintageDouble Hose.com and VintageScubaSupply.com).

You will also find reproduction parts and service (mostly for US Divers regulators). Some of the reproduction parts provide major improvements in performance. The new silicon diaphragms provide a huge improvement on breathing performance. The reproduction main body clamps add a huge convenience to opening the regulator (I always hated the clips). There are also adapters for the Aqua Master hookah port to add LP ports and banjo fitting to use a SPG with a traditional Aqua Master any regulator with no HP port. The list keeps on growing.

The Aqua Master and Royal Aqua Master are the regulators of choice for double hose diving. There were more Aqua Master made than any other DH regulator. And parts will be available for the Royal as long as Aqua Lung is in around.

The Phoenix first stage body will convert an Aqua Master into a Royal Aqua Master with the same balanced first stage, but in addition it will provide several LP ports and HP ports. This conversion into a Royal Aqua Mater will improve its performance dramatically plus it will allow it to be serviced into the future since most Aqua Lung regulators (Titan, Conshelf, etc.) use the same parts. The reason for the 3 HP ports is the since body is screwed in, there is no way of predicting were the ports were going to line up.

If you are interested on a Phoenix, Bryan only have a few left (if that many). We don't know when the next batch may be ordered.

Welcome to the world of vintage and eclectic equipment diving.

Have fun.

Olkev, welcome!

My thoughts:
BC use-
No wetsuit, your choice. Objectively evaluate your swimming ability vs. dive conditions first.

With wetsuit, depends on the diving.
For shallow, freshwater diving where the bank or shore is near, I dispense with the BC- especially in current (less drag). Your weight belt becomes your emergency floatation device on the surface, if need be.
For oceanic diving, I always wear a horsecollar to maintain neutral buoyancy for the environment's sake. Some divers weight themselves to be neutral at depth, but I consider this potentially dangerous. I always want to be able to easily do a safety stop if I feel the dive warrants it- not to mention any decompression necessary.

I haven't had to deal with SCUBA police while diving vintage yet, but you should be able to use a banjo for your SPG, and the hookah port for your BC and octopus. A "banjo" is a fitting which goes between your regulator and cylinder valve (Your Aquamaster should have a long yoke if it is a "late model"). At this point, I recommend only using the thicker banjo designed for use with your long yoke. The reproduction thin banjos may still have a machining defect which has yet to be addressed, rendering them potentially unsafe. A HP hose attaches to the banjo for an SPG. A hookah port adapter is used on the hookah port to allow you to attach your LP octopus/BC hose(s).
The Phoenix is another option. Check into it, but be aware that it will make your regulator stick further out from your cylinder valve. That shouldn't be a problem if you use one of "simonbeans" reproduction harnesses, which I HIGHLY recommend. But, you may run into a clearance problem while using it with some backpacks. The solution in such a case would be to raise your tank in the backpack so the reg will clear the top, but you want to keep the double hose regulator down between your shoulder blades for optimal breathing ease in most positions.

There's a LOT more to say, but try joining the vintage forums mentioned, and your questions will all be answered. Be sure to ask more questions, get answerrs, and do some pool diving with your double hose before attacking the open waters.

Have fun!

Welcome to vintage diving.

I love the Simmonbeans SeaHunt harness. All vintage divers should have several. BUT, I cannot imagine using it with a Phoenix only because it does not utilize what makes the Phoenix so valuable, BCs, wings, back plates, dry suits and all of that. Yeah, yeah, not vintage--eclectic. Mix and match the best of any era and dive it.

I do dive pure vintage, often from our Whaler, I completely enjoy the Simmonbeans Harness (highly recommended) with full vintage gear and my old Mistral. For the Phoenix though I use a modern back plate with Hog harness and Mach V wing, even sometimes am known to deploy a five foot hose on the secondary.

I usually tell the Scuba Police to go away. They often get upset and suck on their snorkels for comfort, wahhh, wahhhhh, he don't have a buddy, wah, wah, he don't have a BC, wah, wah, he don't have a octapus, wahhhhhhh. Do what you want, it is still allegedly a free country. Carry a big knife. I don't need no stink'n BC!

DSCF0103-1.jpg

N

Aloha Olkev
Just ask questions here or on the other two forums. Someone is bound to know the answer. I have to use my modern equipment for work, but my vintage diving is my fun.
Aloha
Turtleguy9

Diving vintage or eclectic (combination of modern and vintage) is a matter of preference. When NAVED did a program at Weeki Wachee this past March 31, we attempted to illustrate vintage gear. After the public show, many of us dove what we enjoy most, a personal combination of modern and period equipment. Due to the fact that I had to fly to Florida this year, I was not able to bring along some of the vintage gear that I enjoy, but as this picture illustrates, a combination of time periods. My Phoenix is attached to a 71.2 cu ft steel tank. The SPG is a Farallon. My suit is a modern Elos Sub in smooth skin exterior. My weight belt buckle comes from Trident. The mask is an original Cressi but the fins are repro Cressi Rondine made today by Oceanways. And of course, the wrist mounted Gekko computer. This photo was taken after the show which allowed me to finally get into the water with some of my favorite gear. The harness is cotton like the originals, but it holds the tank by way of Scubapro BC bands. I call this eclectic piece the "Travel Harness". I have made them in nylon in the original 1950's style. So as you can see, vintage means many things to many divers. Just do your thing. Allan

Alllanatweekiwachee.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom