Newbie going to O'ahu!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
hello! So for starters I am very new to snorkeling. I went snorkeling in Cabo a couple years ago and it was the best experience of my life. Now its all I want to do! So if you have any tips for a beginner like me please feel free to share. I found that last time I got really cut up on the rocks and did not like wearing flippers so I'm going to buy shoes and gloves to wear while snorkeling.

Now the Main part: I am going to O'ahu for 9 days and want to make the most of it. I plan on renting a car for a few days so I can explore places that might not have a bus stop. Does anyone know the best places with the least amount of people? maybe some hidden treasures?

Since you are very new to snorkelling I think it's best if you only go to places with very little waves. Dealing with waves knocking you around and flooding your snorkel while getting the hang of snorkelling can be very stressful.

Use this to see wave heights:

Local surf reports, swell forecasts, and surf cams - Surfline

During the summer months the north shore of O'ahu is very flat. It reverses during the winter months though.

Unfortunately O'ahu is the most populated and least pristine out of all the Hawaiian islands. If you're diving from shore don't expect to see too many colorful reefs or lots of fish. Lots of places around the island will also be filled with people, which could be a good thing from a safety perspective.

Mostly anywhere from Haleiwa up north to Kawela will be nice and calm this time of year. Just park on the street along with the other cars and walk to the beach and jump in. You'll likely see some giant sea turtles (illegal to touch).

Along there, Shark's Cove in Pupukea is good. It has a mix of shallow and deep as well as swim-throughs and rock structures.

Hanauma Bay is also a popular go-to spot for snorkeling and is protected.

You won't see anything but sand along the beaches along Waikiki.

You mentioned you don’t like using flippers? I recommend getting used to a comfortable pair. Long blades. The sea around Hawaii is in motion. Even with small surf there can be long shore currents.

@fuzzybabybunny is on the North Shore thing.

We got to spend a week there in June. I will say however, as a mud puddle diver from Texas, Shark’s Cove was like swimming in an aquarium! I saw roughly 1.2 million fish +/- 743k. It was a lot, anyway. Boots and gloves would be welcome there as it is a minor hike down to the water. And it was just interesting terrain underwater.

I did some snorkeling at Electric Beach last year. Not a great spot for beginners, but anyone else going might enjoy it.

the entrance to the water is a narrowish opening through some sharp rocks - only do it at low tide, and be careful :) It's the first part that makes it a more advanced site.

What you want to do is follow the pipes out to the cauldron where warmer water is dumped out and there's all sorts of sea life. BUT huge caveat, do not get in front of any of the pipe outflows because they can send you pretty far out I've been told. I was able to just appreciate the fish and turtles I was swimming with, and I did get one cut on my hand because I was a little off in my aim for beach reentry.

Back
Top Bottom