Newbie going to Bonaire, do I need a dive marker?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Montana Tom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are newbies, ow cert last January and are going to Bonaire next January. We will be taking the shore dive course first thing to learn shore dive specs and as a refresher. I am curious if I need a dive marker so boats know we are there or is this just extra baggage to have along? When I snorkeled in Roatan I used a marker so the boats knew we were there. I do have a signal tube, thinking of safety if I ever got separated from a dive boat. I do not have a reel and am not sure I need one. We will be only shore diving in Bonaire and it will be just my wife and I.
any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

Nope, no marker. But why would you even think about diving in uncontained waters (ocean) without an SMB. The wind blows pretty stead and the seas can get rough. If you're carried out to sea you'll wish you had one.

I don't see a need for one. Even when boat diving, you are almost never more than a hundred yards or so off shore so swimming to shore is always an option. Currents are usually mild and run along shore so getting swept away in a current is also very unlikely. Also, leave the gloves and knifes at home, they are not allowed on Bonaire and there is no need for them anyway.

My wife and I are newbies, ow cert last January and are going to Bonaire next January. We will be taking the shore dive course first thing to learn shore dive specs and as a refresher. I am curious if I need a dive marker so boats know we are there or is this just extra baggage to have along? When I snorkeled in Roatan I used a marker so the boats knew we were there. I do have a signal tube, thinking of safety if I ever got separated from a dive boat. I do not have a reel and am not sure I need one. We will be only shore diving in Bonaire and it will be just my wife and I.
any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

In Bonaire a dive flag is not required and really not needed although I have had small boats pass overhead when I have been diving some of the more populated sites. I have never seen one used there.

SMB is a personal choice. I have a small one for surface deployment that takes up almost no space that I usually wear as a matter of habit. If I am at any of the more remote sites, north, south or east coast, then I definitely wear it.

A reel is really not needed. No dive flag and no situation in recreational dives in Bonaire need to shoot a bag.

I don't see a need for one. Even when boat diving, you are almost never more than a hundred yards or so off shore so swimming to shore is always an option. Currents are usually mild and run along shore so getting swept away in a current is also very unlikely. Also, leave the gloves and knifes at home, they are not allowed on Bonaire and there is no need for them anyway.

They are not allowed but I have needed gloves more than once exiting the iron shore and I had the cuts and bruises on my hands to prove it...

Dive flag no, SMB always, no matter where you dive, just one of the many items you might be sure to carry on every dive you do.

Thanks for the info. I will have my smb. Can't wait...6 months

As others have posted a SMB absolutely, I consider it essential equipment and would never dive without one. Next time you're on a boat and waiting for others divers to return in less than flat seas, notice how hard it is to see a divers head even in relatively close proximity to the boat. Have fun on your trip.

Also, leave the gloves and knifes at home, they are not allowed on Bonaire and there is no need for them anyway.
Wrong. Dive Knives are allowed on Bonaire. Gloves are discouraged, to prevent you from touching things. But bring them, in case you do a dive on a wreck like the Hilma Hooker. I wore them there and no one said anything.

I'm confused, gloves are allowed when diving the hllma hooker? Please clarify.

Gloves are forbidden in the park unless needed for a medical reason and you have proper documentation filed at the park headquarters. After seven trips I have never once needed or wished I had gloves.

I don't see in the park rules that knives are not allowed but In twenty years I have never needed to use a dive knife in the water. I have cut my finger with it as it makes for a poor screwdriver/pry tool/etc. I have used it to cut mango though, but think I cut my finger that time too. I have a small line cutter these days, but have never used it either. I'd would leave the knife at home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom