Newbie Drysuit Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
I feel toasted by TLS350 and 400g thinsulate at 40s F water.

I couldn't bring myself to purchase the thermal insulation that drysuit manufacturers sell, they are all overpriced, and IMHO, don't work as well as some of the other options available out there.

I use Helly-Hansen Speiz one piece undergarment, in extremely cold water (38F), I wear a pair of thin one piece thermals (polypropylene / cotton polyester mix) under them. I stay toasty warm, and I spent less on 'em. :crafty:

Canadian_Diver:
I couldn't bring myself to purchase the thermal insulation that drysuit manufacturers sell, they are all overpriced, and IMHO, don't work as well as some of the other options available out there.

I use Helly-Hansen Speiz one piece undergarment, in extremely cold water (38F), I wear a pair of thin one piece thermals (polypropylene / cotton polyester mix) under them. I stay toasty warm, and I spent less on 'em. :crafty:

has your suit leaked yet????

mossym:
has your suit leaked yet????

Nope.... not a drop. I check my suit before and after every dive. I love my Aerdura.

i think that's where the dive undergarments come in..they are supposed to keep you warm even when soaking wet...and they do...

mossym:
i think that's where the dive undergarments come in..they are supposed to keep you warm even when soaking wet...and they do...

Technically, the Helly's should as well. They have some of the highest ratings for outdoor work gear and shed water.

If you keep your drysuit in good shape, and check it regularly, you should NEVER have a flood to begin with. :wink:

I wish you have a luck forever:wink:

Canadian_Diver:
Technically, the Helly's should as well. They have some of the highest ratings for outdoor work gear and shed water.

If you keep your drysuit in good shape, and check it regularly, you should NEVER have a flood to begin with. :wink:

HA! Thanks!

I just replaced my zipper because I noticed some wear n' tear on it. Potential cause for concern. Preventative maintenance is key.... unfortunately, I had to learn that the hard way with my day job. :crafty:

hoosier:
I wish you have a luck forever:wink:

Seriously, please describe more about spiez. can you compare it with DUI 400g thinulate? I am checking the company website... They say it is 390g..... though..

How about this one, http://www.hhworkwear.com/products/product_page.php?item_code=76610&codes=21291,70650,73100,73101,73202,73203,73400,73401,76300,76301,76302,76303,76370,76500,76570,76610,

Canadian_Diver:
HA! Thanks!

I just replaced my zipper because I noticed some wear n' tear on it. Potential cause for concern. Preventative maintenance is key.... unfortunately, I had to learn that the hard way with my day job. :crafty:

hoosier:
Seriously, please describe more about spiez. can you compare it with DUI 400g thinulate? I am checking the company website... They say it is 390g..... though..

Helly Hansen is originally a sailclothing manufacturer. Their best products are used among the Nort and Barents sea fisherman to give protection against wind and water in these rough waters...

Neoprene has better properties against condension (a real issue around 35F) inside the suit than other materials so it's not needed to dry inside after every dive. Having an outerlayer of wool in undersuit with the "other" suits helps keeping them dry..

Don't know about the one that you listed, but I use this one:

HH - Speiz

.... it works great and I picked it up for $125 CDN .... the interior is kind of like a fleece feel to it (flocked). It has a trap door in the back (zippered), and the front zipper goes 2 ways (quick bladder relief while not having to remove the entire suit.

It draws all condensation out from your base layer and away from your body. The article itself is never wet or damp. I picked mine up at Marks Work Warehouse.

As a base layer, I bought a pair of Stanfields, but will be upgrading to a thinner polypropylene type from MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-Op).

hoosier:

How about this one, http://www.hhworkwear.com/products/product_page.php?item_code=76610&codes=21291,70650,73100,73101,73202,73203,73400,73401,76300,76301,76302,76303,76370,76500,76570,76610,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom