Newbie diving around Anglers Pier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chotzi

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
My husband and I are both newbie divers (both less than 20 dives) who are considering going to LBTS for some ‘easy’ shore diving to practice our skills. I’ve read that the area close to Anglers Pier is a good place for novices to go? Our experience consists of our OW at Blue Hole New Mexico and a trip to Roatan (Cocoview resort) last Nov. Before our trip to Roatan, I had never stepped foot in the ocean. I realize now how very spoiled we were at Cocoview – no current, sea flat as glass for the shore dives, very little wave action, terrific DM’s, not to mention the wonderful people who took time out of their day to accompany us and keep us out of trouble! Now we’re going to try this on our own and I don’t know what to expect. The diving and being-in-the-ocean experience is still so new for me that I want as much info as possible so that I’ll feel less anxious.
Could someone give me a run down on what to expect at that location? Things like: what the entry is like (waves, depth), what sort of current is usual, water temp (2nd week of May), dangers to look out for, etc. What constitutes an ‘easy’ shore dive anyway? Do you think it’s okay for rookies like us to go out on our own? If not, what’s the alternative?

We are looking at staying at the Courtyard Villa which I believe is directly on the beach near the pier. I think we’ll be able to haul our stuff directly from our room but I still have to verify that.

Any info is much appreciated!

Chotzi:
SNIP...Could someone give me a run down on what to expect at that location? Things like: what the entry is like (waves, depth), what sort of current is usual, water temp (2nd week of May), dangers to look out for, etc. What constitutes an ‘easy’ shore dive anyway? Do you think it’s okay for rookies like us to go out on our own? If not, what’s the alternative?
If they put a star on the map for the best shore diving in the US, this would be the place. You are in for some very, very easy shore diving and as long as the weather is good (ie no waves) you'll be gearing up in your room and walking directly into the water.

The reef structure there has three tiers - first is a nice row of honeycombs about 150 yards off the beach in about 10 to 15' of water... 150 yards is VERY CLOSE. We dove it nearly every day for several months a couple of years ago and never tired of seeing the familiar as well as new stuff. Large and small eels, reef squid, crabs & lobsters, nurse sharks, rays & skates of all sizes all hang out right in front of your hotel. Take your time, move slowly and LOOK and you'll also find octopus and slipper lobster. The fish life there is abundant - you'll see a little of everything.

The second tier is a little further out, separated by a sandy bottom of probably less than 100 yards. That reef is more "conventional" but you'll still see a lot. It's the preferred reef for most who dive here regularly. Depts are only about 15' to 20'.

Finally, about 1,500 yards out (at the mooring balls) the reef drops off about 10' and there's a broken ridge with a different character... not really worth the kick out but if you have/rent kayaks you'll be very happy to paddle out and then dive. I don't think you'd hit 30' anywhere along the deep end of the ledge.

With a kayak you can get around a little better, but you'll be very happy on the first two reefs. We used to dive the pier when it was closed before repairs, but they're repairing it now and I'm not sure whether it would be a good idea... it's never been legal.

As far as how-to, you simply gear up in your room or on the deck, carry your fins out to the beach, walk in to chest high, fill your BC and sit back to put your mask down and then fins on. Never take your gear off on the beach - AVOID SAND anywhere but on the bottom of your feet. Then you turn on your back, kick out past the "cans" (about 100 yards) and drop down when you feel like it. You'll never be 20' so don't worry about stops lol... we typically get 2 hours on an aluminum 80 because the depth is so shallow.

I haven't actually even taken tanks since mid-2004. I get a thrill out of just snorkling the area and usually end up at the mooring bouys 1,500 yards out. I've never seen a shark, and although the boat motors are scary sometimes I've never had a near miss (with the exception of a dive boat operator who claims to have known what he was doing lol). We kayak out regularly.

Alternatives, if the shore conditions aren't great (50' visibility is common), include several great boat operators about 8 miles north at Atlantic Blvd. Look up Lighthouse Dive Center in Pompano http://www.lighthousedive.com/ for one of several boat trips. We rarely get weather where the near-shore boat diving is a problem.

Of course, since you're here anyway, you might head down to Key Largo for a day of diving. It's 2 hours or so, and the diving there is much better than anyplace. It's all boat diving, and you can find referrals in one of the reference threads above.

Finally, all it takes to get a group of locals to join you is to post an event here. Look to see how others have done it and follow their lead with the date and time in the title. Several live a few buildings south of where you're staying, so you should look them up for sure... Marvel, Jenny and Greg make GREAT dive buddies.

No real dangers. Most of us wear skins that time of year in case of jellyfish, but I've never had a problem then... later in the season I've been stung but only once.

No need for guides, and yes it's safe as long as conditions are good. If you have any question about the surf, then it's not a good day to be diving here... it's typically flat that time of year.

Temperatures should begin heading upward, and I'd guess low 80's. Boat dives can go 60' or so, and the temperatures down that deep tend to stay around 80 all year long with some cold currents.

There is a local dive shop with air (walking distance) and you can get Nitrox within 2 miles north and south on A1A (Oakland Park Blvd. and Atlantic Blvd.).

Don't make too much of the experience - it's pretty much stress-free when conditions are good and you should focus on relaxing. We have a great lifestyle here.

Add one VERY IMPORTANT DETAIL!!!!!
YOU MUST have a dive flag! You will get a ticket if you don't have one! Dive flags are pretty useless as a means of protection from the boaters, but the Marine Patrol thinks they are...if they are not running over the flag themselves!!
Yes, the boating is very heavy in the area, especially on the weekends. Just listen and don't surface if you see prop wash!

let us know when you're coming- I live right there & would be glad to go out with you sometime.

You should take a compass.

I can’t thank you all enough for all of your info! You’ve really eased my mind. I have to admit that simply walking into the ocean without knowing where I am going freaks me out. :11: I am not a comfortable diver yet but I am getting better. You should’ve seen me the very first time I tried to dive “for real”! I thought the whole trip was going to be a wash! I have to be able to go slow and take things at my own pace until I feel more confident - that’s the reason for this whole trip. Knowing that this place will suit my needs (weather permitting) is very exciting.
Dive flag – good to know. And compass - definitely need to bone up on those skills.
Marvel, that is a very kind offer and I will keep you in mind!
Mike, thanks for taking the time to write up such a thorough response – you’re the best!
I’ll be able to post our trip plans once they are finalized.

Thanks Again!
:10: :10: :10:

Chotzi:
I can’t thank you all enough for all of your info! You’ve really eased my mind. I have to admit that simply walking into the ocean without knowing where I am going freaks me out. :11: I am not a comfortable diver yet but I am getting better. You should’ve seen me the very first time I tried to dive “for real”! I thought the whole trip was going to be a wash! I have to be able to go slow and take things at my own pace until I feel more confident - that’s the reason for this whole trip. Knowing that this place will suit my needs (weather permitting) is very exciting.
Dive flag – good to know. And compass - definitely need to bone up on those skills.
Marvel, that is a very kind offer and I will keep you in mind!
Mike, thanks for taking the time to write up such a thorough response – you’re the best!
I’ll be able to post our trip plans once they are finalized.

Thanks Again!
:10: :10: :10:

Its a great place to sort yourself out. You just have to set the compass once since you're roughly only going E/out and W/back in with N/S along the reef line in between.
You just swim out E 'til you hit the reef you want, swim against the current (which may be N or S), turn around and drift back, then go W to go home. If you get confused, you just do a surface check.

cdiver2:
Cindy Colleen and I dived there with Mike & Marvel listen to them they are very good divers even better if you can get a dive with them.
Yessir! Have I told you lately that you two are the best? :10: :10:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom