Newbie Choosing a Dive Insurance Plan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive_pa!

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Been thinking of getting insurance coverage for dive accidents / injuries since our close call in Verde Is. 2 weeks ago. (effing down current!).

I'm an average 'vacation' diver and I'm considering getting the DAN 'Master' Dive Injury Insurance Plan which covers the basics (DCI, death, disability), so I think this is a good enough coverage for a recreational diver like me.

However, it's maximum diving depth for coverage is 50M. I know I won't be diving that deep and will not plan on doing so, but after being pulled in a crazy down current 2 weeks ago, I'm also looking at the 'Preffered' plan which has no depth limits for coverage.

What are the main considerations in choosing a dive insurance plan?

i will admit that i also dont have insurance and would be very interested to know which insurance to get and how/where to get it.

I have DAN insurance and really recommend it. I had an accident last August and they were super. It is SECONDARY insurance so you're primary insurance carrier will be billed first. I was surprised to find out my primary carrier covered hyperbaric treatments from dive injuries. But DAN picked up all of my co-pays and anything else my primary carrier didn't cover. I have a 20% co-pay so considering the total bill I was happy not to pay any co-pays.

Also, I think DAN is a really good organization to support. My symptoms didn't come on until after midnight. It was reassuring to talk to a DIVE medic on the phone at 3am.

Now this is a useful thread! DAN-SEAP for those that reside in the Asia Pacific Region. It is important that you buy your insurance in the region you live in. The rules for insurance are based on your official residence. So, for US travelers (and most of North Amrica) you should buy DAN US and so on. I wrote Dr Luna about what chambers accept DAN-SEAP and was amazed that it was limited to Batangas and Cebu Chambers. The other insurance options (travel, gear loss, etc.) are worthwhile for the US based divers but not worth spit for those of us in Asia. DAN is great outfit that will go the extra mile. You need to check to see what emergency services are available in the area(s) you plan dive and base your decision on that criteria. Make sure you work insurance does or does not cover dive accidents. Most insurance companies will not cover hyperbaric chamber treatment but will cover other expenses. Some companies do allow its customers to add on an option for "EXTREME SPORTS". Be careful because it is expensive. If you are a husband/father with house mortgages, car payments, etc then you might want to look at specific accidental death insurance to cover those large bills so that your family is safe. Great question and I hope this helps you with your selection.

DAN member here as well. Definitely worth it. I seriously hope that I don't get to use it.

I just changed to DAN Asia-Pacific for the whole family. I don't think anyone mentioned that they will evacuate you to a proper facility even if it is not a dive accident. I got the family plan. they also have Travel-Assist which helps if you are ever stuck somewhere and other travel problems.

It's a little more expensive than the DAN America plans but worth every penny if you ever have a problem.

i have DAN Asia Pacific plan too...well, actually, i think it will expire this month.... i got one also after a close call diving Canyons in PG last 2006. man, did the chamber costs scared the wits out of me....

i agree with marvin... it is nice to have it around but i hope i won't have to use it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom