Newbie BC advice (most likely jacket not BP/W)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tank29

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, I'm now soliciting advice for a good starter BC. This will be my first BC. I know that there are a lot of folks on SB (not sure about here) that love the BP/W setup, but I think I am going to start out with a jacket BC. My understanding is that they are cheaper and right now that is a prime consideration.

Anyone have any advice or opinions on brands or setups or anything else I should be concerned about?

Thanks!
Dave

I like the BP/W as much as anyone. I sell Aeris and Diverite and a few other brands. I like the diverite transpac but it isn't a budget BC. There are some deals going on the aeris XT BC right now....PM me if I can help. Lots of divers like the XT a good bit. Lots of company's have some good entry level BC's. Do you have a local shop you can trust that will give you some good advice?

Brent

When I'm using a jacket, I wear a SeaQuest Pro QD+. It fits me great (make sure you account for your usual exposure protection when checking for fit), is very comfortable, and is well made.

I particularly like the SureLock system for the integrated weights. It is quite bulletproof, and I've never had an accidental weight release.

As with so many things in this sport, if you can, try before you buy.

All the best, James

Give the Zeagle line-up a serious look.

What type of diving will you be doing? Vacation? Local?

What did you train with? Have you tried anything on yet??
Whats your budget?

What I recommend to people is to not skimp on equipment. Buy a great piece of equipment now....next time you have some extra money(next week or next year) buy another great piece. After a couple years you have all of your equipment and its top notch. It will last you 15-20 years if not more as long as you take care of it.

I was in the same boat as you. I wanted to buy a starter BC, along with other equipment. My LDS is an Oceanic dealer, and had all their BCs. I was able to rent their entry level BC - the OceanPro.

After two rentals, I decided I didn't want it (although prior to the rentals I had decided I was buying it).

I bought the Probe LX, at about twice the cost, but man what a difference in the way it fit!

My suggestion is to rent/try it out if you can. And if you don't like it, go for something else, even if it means a higher cost.

I agree. Over the years I learned the hard way with all of my hobbies that it is cheaper in the long run to go ahead and buy the good stuff (even if you have to wait a little while). Higher quality equipment will last a lot longer, be more comfortable,be more versatile, look better :), and probably be safer.

My preference is the Zeagle Ranger LTD.

Joe

I use by BP/W only when i dive doubles. I have a Seac-sub pro 2000 for shallower single tank reef diving and i find it great. It all depends on your budget but as I see by your profile that you are not certfied yet, I recommend you stick to rental gear for a bit first, talk to people you dive with, and the internet is always a good place to do your research.

Back
Top Bottom