Newb question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Forgive me for the newbie question, I'm certain I'm going to get some of the lingo wrong.
I'm newly certified and beginning to get into some hull diving. Obviously, I'm used to there being a safe second where the BC inflator is, so I'm just not familiar with other configurations (I'm not much of a gear nerd, I just wanna get in the water safely!).
I guess my questions are... (picture attached)
1. Is this diveable the way it is, without adding any other parts (besides the hose hooking me up to air, obviously)?
2. The low pressure hose port seems to be incompatible with the normal quick-connects. There must be different styles of connections that I'm not aware of? Not sure you can see it clearly in the picture, but what am I looking for as far as the female part?
3. If I wanted to add a safe second here, what do I need to do?
Grateful for the input of those who know better than I. I tend to feel overwhelmed by things I don't understand, so I'm doing my best to learn!
13131.jpg

Is "hull diving" a typo? I'm not sure what that means.

"Obviously, I'm used to there being a safe second where the BC inflator is," is actually not that obvious. Some people train with an integrated safe second like an AIR 2 or SS1, but most shops train with the traditional inflator and an octo.

To answer your questions:
1. As long as everything is properly functional, yes. The blue button puts air in, the button on the end lets air out and the tiny mouth piece looking thing is for oral inflation.
2. You need a standard LP inflator hose - you may only be seeing the oversized ones used with integrated safe seconds. Do you have a reg set that you are trying to match this with? If you want to use this inflator, the hose you need is pretty cheap.
3. Cut the zip tie and attach your safe second using any adaptors that are needed. If you aren't familiar with it, the best option is really to take it to a dive shop or somebody you know who is more experienced and knows how to do it. Then try out your new (to you, I assume this is used) equipment in a pool with a seasoned buddy or instructor before you take it in open water.

Building on what Kmarks said, make sure that the BCD holds air for an extended amount of time before you take it out. Completely inflate the BCD and let it sit for a couple of hours, checking back every so often that it continues to hold air. Make sure that all of the dump valves work easily and are free of debridement.

Well, you have a few options here.
Do you have your own regulator set or still renting for the time being?
If you are renting, I would advise leaving this as is. It will be compatible with what most shops are renting out.
If you have your own set in the configuration you are talking about, then you can modify this BCD to meet your needs. I would suggest having a shop make the changes for you, but they really aren't that difficult to do. Either way, you want to be sure to test everything before going out on a dive.

By "hull diving", I mean doing some bottom work on boats.
Thanks all for the help! The answers are what I expected.
I will absolutely test everything before taking it out.
I do have my own regulator set but it's currently in the shop.

I doubt you want an octopus or a BC inflator that includes a safe second. You are going to have crap raining down on you constantly. An additional second stage for diving less than 10 ft deep is probably not worth the hassle. Same for a fancy BC inflator. If you have a problem, blow bubbles and come up.

Back
Top Bottom