New ZEN products for mirrorless housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Phil

Look forward to see your review / what you think its like compared to the original DP-170 with the 20mm Ring (in conjunction with the 7-14mm)

Looks like you get to try all the toys before we do!

Wow! I am glad I saw this when I did. I just received my 170mm dome last week and was bummed that I might not be able to use it with the 12-40 and was hoping that maybe an extender would be offered. Today was the last day for me to return the dome for refund, and now that I see Nauticam is going to offer a revised version of the port, I will return the one I have (and have never used) and will see how the new one works out and then decide what to buy.

Last edited:
So this is the new ZEN Underwater 170mm dome port for Zoom lenses. The 12-40mm zoom with the Nauticam gear installed works as follows. Install the camera without the lens into the housing, the 12-40 lens then mounted onto the camera the front and then the port is installed over the lens. This is due to the size of the lens and will not be an issue with other lenses that would currently work with the housing other than perhaps the Panasonic 12-35 zoom which I do not have own. Once installed I then use the Vacuum system to insure all is we'll sealed. In the pool the lens appeared to work very well and these are the only shots I had the time to take. Images appear very sharp in the corners. In intend to test the port with the following lenses. Panasonic 7-14 zoom, Olympus 9-18, 12-40, 12-50 and I hope it will work with the Olympus 7-14 being released later this year or early next year. I have been using the 12-40 out of the water a lot and I can think of a lot of uses for the lens underwater as well.

ZEN should be doing a press release with a part number and retail cost soon. The extension is about 25mm as I stated earlier but is a one piece unit. Pool shots all at 12mm.

Attachments

• untitled-5140028.jpg
    untitled-5140028.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 107
  • untitled-5140151.jpg
    untitled-5140151.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 103
  • untitled-5140110.jpg
    untitled-5140110.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 109
  • untitled-5140040.jpg
    untitled-5140040.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 96
  • untitled-5140134.jpg
    untitled-5140134.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 94
Thanks Phil!

Looks great! Sharp!

Really interested to hear what you think about this with the Panasonic 7-14mm vs the old one and 20mm extension.

Great stuff as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks very interesting. Anxious to hear about how it does with the other lenses you mentioned. Thanks for the update.

They need to add the additional focus knob like the nauticam 6" dome for the NA-BMPCC. (But so it actually fits other Mini 4/3 housings)

That would be stellar!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be interested if this larger dome port will work on the NA-EM5 housing with the 12-50 lens.

Last edited:
The port will work with other Nauticam Mini housings like the E-M5 housing and yes the 12-50 will work in the port but without the macro setting which requires the control in the port. I would not expect to see a focus gear added to this port.

It seems odd that Zen is producing another dome in this size when the existing one (at least for M43/Nauticam mini) has a 3 month backorder wait. I've had one on order for a little while now (only about 4 weeks), but the dealer hasn't been able to give me an ETA. It makes me wonder if Zen will even keep making the existing dome for the smaller mounts if this one is basically superseding it in image quality. It'll also be interesting to see how much bulkier the port will be to pack if it has a built-in 25mm extension.

Now I'm wondering if I should cancel my order or change it to this new one or just do something else entirely.

Back
Top Bottom