New Zealand Shore Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

allison,
my plans are to move permanently, or semi permanently, in 2007...probably around june, but i am not sure...alot depends on my immigration application and job hunt. Still not even sure exactly where i want to move. I have family on the south island, but I am more interested in the north island...prefer the more temperate climate. Portland, where i currently live, is renound for its grey, rainy winters...lasting about 8 1/2 months out of the year. I am not unreasonable, but I would like a bit more sunshine that that. Seems like the northern parts of the north island are a bit more sunny, but I would love your further imput.
Galapagos aye? I am jealous. I have heard they are magical.
As for diving here in the NW....its great, i could send you some pics. Our vis can be pretty bismal at times....my feet/meter conversions are not soo great, but sometimes we dive in as little as 10 foot viz....so by those standards i consider myself a bit "hardcore", lol.
So what kinda stuff do you see diving wellington?

hmm i just wrote a post that was lost in ethernet...sadly. so now you just get the gist. thanks for you quick reply alison.
My plans are to immigrate to NZ. I have family there, on the south island, but my plans involve the north.....not sure exactly where yet.....any suggestions? I want to be someplace mellow, beautiful, great diving and decent weather (aka more sun than rain).
Jealous of your dives in the galapagos, i have heard they are awesome. I have dove Hawaii, the carribean, british columbia canada and of course the pacific north west us....our conditions can be pretty hardcore....cold water, poor viz.....but we have some great rewards....rich marine life, wolf eels and giant octo.
What kinda stuff do you see in wellington?
Any help with where i might like living?

okay, i guess you get the original and the "short" version, I am an ***....seems my original post made its way thru the ether and into the board.

As Azza said shore diving in Auckland is pretty limited, but a couple of hours drive to the Coromandel peninsula will give you some good sites. And from my experiance most Kiwi divers are keen to meet up with some new buddies, and in NZ boat ownership per capita is one of the highest in the world. Im always keen to take people out. And if they chip in for fuel I may even take them back in too. :)

I agree, shore diving close to auckland is limited, although if you are prepared to drive 2 hours, the number goes up substantially.

However, as stated, a small aluminium boat and outboard is pretty standard equipment for the bug hunters and scallop snatchers around here. I live 20-30 minutes from downtown Auckalnd and we launch the boat from in front of the house and can be catching crays or scollies within half an hour boat ride.

Remember that 20 to 30% of kiwis own a boat of some sort, so it is pretty easy to find someone who wants company. Diving experience in the PNW will make you feel pretty much at home in NZ waters I reckon. Might be a couple of degrees warmer on the whole here though.

inked_diver:
allison,
...So what kinda stuff do you see diving wellington?

Firstly one of the main reasons people like Azza dive
CRAY2.jpg

These fellows are common around the shore
OCTI%20.jpg

I love the kelp life
WEED.jpg

There are a few more here

Very cool photos!! check out my site www.pacificnwdivers.com under the gallery link I have some photos of the puget sound and belize.....have a few pages of photos i need to upload from a recent wreck diving trip to british columbia Cananda.

Have just read all your posts here in this thread and I have some thing important to say.... The upper north island is awesome for dive sites but so is Tauranga and Waihi in the coromandel peninsula. Diving anywhere in New Zealand Is perfect and we even boast a fair few neat lake dives. There is Sailors Grave, Bowentown Beach, Athenree, Tairua, Cooks Beach, Leisure Island, Whitianga and Mount Maunganui just to name a few. I'm a female diver who's logged just over 70 dives in the past 12 months. and these are just some of the places I've been.
Have you any specialties? We have some neat wrecks here for divers and we also have some great places to do deep and night dives.
I'd have to agree with the comment made that 30% of Us have boats.
looking over the fence both neighbours have one..
N.Z soon.

I did a couple of dives between sailors grave & Tairua. On one I found a almost black cray. on the another I found a 4meter long rock with an equaly log eel under it along with 20 or so crays. I must admit I dont dive the coromandle nearly as often as I would like to.

If I could just work out how to add a pic to the thread Id show the black cray.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom