New Zealand Shore Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dude....

There is great shore diving all over NZ. Also depends on what kind of diving you want to do. Diving in NZ is less of a thing that could be classed as tourism, and more of something that you do on the weekend to get BBQ fodder, although this is changing.

When are you coming and what sot of things do you want to do?

Excellent shore diving lots of places but Wellington sites are the ones I know best. Twenty minutes from the centre of the city there is good diving. Not always accessible because of the weather but a lot of good sites with rocky guts, reasonable fish life, and just plain fun. Usually only a short surface swim, between 12 C and 16C so temperate waters, not much current but some surge is common and between 5m and 15m deep.

Alison

I am in the process of immigrating to NZ. Hope to move in the spring. I am a PADI instructor, I am a social worker during my surface intervals. I have heard the wonders of NZ diving, but all of the sites I have read about on the internet are accessible only by boat. Dont get me wrong, I love boat diving, but it can be expensive....so I like to be able to shore dive. I currently dive in the Pacific North West, in the United States. Fantastic cold water diving, viz can be crappy, but diving is great.....so I am open to most kinds of diving. As long as I have at least5-10 meters of viz! Anything you can tell me about north island shore diving would be great. Favorite sites? Accessible year round? Etc. Thanks

Wellington has some great shore diving, as long as you dont mind shallow diving (20M max), but there is minimal shore diving up here in Auckland. There is a lake but all the city's stormwater runs into it so it's not pretty. There is also Goat Island which is good the first time you dive there, ok the second, average the third etc etc

Buy a boat or find someone with a boat. There are two of us here on scubaboard that have boats. You only need a little tinny.

Thanks for the info. Assuming all goes well with my immigration, I will drop you a line. Would love to get a boat, but maybe I can hook a ride with you in the mean time. Thanks
Dive safe

If you end up in Wellingtopn send me a PM and I'll show you some of the shore sites. you can dive them all year around - just not in southerly conditions although there are sites on the western coast that are suitable in those conditions.
Cheers
Alison

inked_diver:
Thanks for the info. Assuming all goes well with my immigration, I will drop you a line. Would love to get a boat, but maybe I can hook a ride with you in the mean time. Thanks
Dive safe
You can get a ride with me whenever you want mate. I know some good spots:D

Very well Azza, I might just hold you to your word! I am a diving addict, so leaving my vast network of diving buddies in the pacific northwest will be very sad!
Alitaylor, even if i dont move to wellington, I will be sure to check out the dive sites at some point....traveling is one of my great loves, so I will count you in as a tour guide. So whats the weather like in wellington? rain alot? I am trying to relocate to a place a bit more sunnier than portland oregon....the rain is gettin me down, but the diving is top notch! Either of you ever dive the west coast of the US?

It is late Winter here but today is a lovely sunny, balmy 16 Celcius. Doesn't rain endlessly but the wind has rather a reputation.. When you say you are moving in the Spring I presume you mean your Spring?

I have not dived anywhere in US but the Galapagos were mighty!!
Get in touch if you come to Wgtn on holiday or more permanently. I dive most weekends if the conditions are reasonable (I define reasonable as at least 5m visibility which I know makes me picky). On that basis I get out in Wellington about 30 times a year.

Enjoy your travels

Alison

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom