New Years Table Rock Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I've been able to learn there is one town that was submerged. It's under too much water to dive most of the time from what I've been told and few actually know of it's location. There are some other things around there to look at however, read up on table rock here and you'll see talk about roads and bridges. They're more for advanced divers due to depths, but there's lots to see there.

Vis isn't too bad for around here, it really depends on where you dive. On the same day at different sites I've seen anywhere from 50 feet to 1 foot vis.

If you take the guided tours try to have a good SAC rate before you do it, the dives from them cost anywhere from $40 to $50 for a 2 tank dive and you'll want to enjoy it for as long as you can.

Zenshift:
Is it true there are towns that were flooded when Table Rock was created? I believe Kimberling City was moved when the White River was dammed. Is that correct? What else is there to see in Table Rock. I'm a newly minted C-card holder in StL and am planning to visit TR this summer.

Where I dive (Jakes Point)there is a cabin cruiser sunk on the right side of goose island about 70 to 80 ft down. Then also not to far away (Another cove)if you research there is a Zodiac Pike? ( a double decker paddle boat). Been to both and they are nice to see but the paddle boat is the best 80 to 90 ft down.

Zebulon Pike is what they call it, but it's really the old Branson Bell with the paddle wheel removed. It's starting to rot away and if I remember right the depth starts at around 60 feet for it and goes down to around 90 feet. It's on an incline, vis last time I dove it was around 10 feet and there's a rope tied off to it so you can find it easily. Look for the milk jug tied to a stump above water.

I tried to look down the stack but I think you need something more powerful than a backup light because I sure couldn't see far into it. For me those things are fun to see, but you won't be there long at the depths they lie so pay attention to your pressures.

I forgot to add, if you dive Table Rock you will want a 7mm suit with hood and gloves if you go down deep because it will get into the mid 40's down deeper. The 2 scuba companies there when you go out on their boat on a tour will have you diving with an instructor as well which is good if it's your first dive there.

Yeah, we dove it early in the year and the vis was about 10 to 15 feet. It is a nice dive, second the hood, gloves, boots and 7M suit. Even if it is mid summer and bright out still take a light even if it is a secondary. I now own a primary that goes 7.5 watts to 15 watts with a flick of a switch. I will be back to the pike this summer to practice and get better at diving. I will be hitting the lake as much as I can because no warm water for me this year. I am trying to save up vacation time. I am going to try and get a whole month off next year so I cn enjoy the warm water in 2007. :D I might not want to go back to work but I will go diving until I am water logged :wink:

I envy you living so close to a good dive site. I pass through Ozark on my trips to TR and I keep thinking it would be so nice...

As is, I get down there maybe 6 times a year and dive most every weekend in the local quarry, but I sometimes go a couple weeks with a dryspell since it's tough to find buddies during the Winter.

I wanted to dive more on New Years as well, but my exhaust valve had an issue and I had to remedy it before I could dive more, but I did manage 2 dives new years and 4 dives the day before at TableRock.

Springfield, is I am sure always looking for your qualifications :14: I like diving also and I know about it being hard to find people who like to dive in the winter. I have the past three times been solo diving because of my dive buddy not being able to go for one reason or another. I have canceled more dives then going solo because I do not like to go by myself but when it has been a couple of weeks with out diving, I GOT TO DIVE. I am getting more confident because I go by myself and practice my skills. I am thinking of going this coming Wednesday or Thursday because the temp is supposed to be 54 Wed and 67 Thurs. My wife stresses when I go by myself but understands that it is a way for me to relieve stress. I just call her before I get in and give her a time limit. Tell her if I do not call by so and so time to call the police and she knows where I am diving.

I am getting some people at my work to get certified and I will try to go with them when my dive buddy can not go. Until then I am SOLO diving so I can get wet.:D

I dove the Zebulon Pike last early Summer. It is really a cool dive. The water temps then were about 48F and the visibility was around 30 feet--at depth. Out by the little island there is a sunken cabin cruiser. The Zeb was a very good wreck dive, with moderate penetration available. I have dove a few wrecks here and there in more exotic locales that were not nearly as fun. It is easy to find, GPS coordinates are available and it paints nicely on my sonar. A small bottle is tied to a stump. That stump drops down about 20ish feet to a line that goes to the Zeb. This is a fairly deep dive and due to the cold and possibility of penetrating the wreck and the relatively low viz I would recommend this dive only to experienced divers. N

The small town of Oasis was abandoned as TR filled. Look for a spot called Oasis Bluff north of the Highway 86 Bridge over the Long Creek Arm of the lake. The only thing I could find on the web about it is:
http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/TableRockLakeMO.html
Right now the lake is about 15 feet below normal power pool, so some the deeper sites may not be as deep right now.

Wow. Good research!

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom