New wreck coming to Tobermory?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With Canada's tight restrictions on coal, the repowering of the vessel at a minimum would cost upwards of $12 million. The far more active ferry on Lake Michigan said they would be out of business if our govt forced them to repower, and that vessel brings in quite a bit of revenue. They could never get a return on investment, there is a reason that there are very very few Great Lakes cruises.

If they couldn't raise enough money to keep her as a museum ship that just sits idle at the dock, what the heck makes them think they will be able to use her in a working capacity and turn a profit to pay off the massive expenses incurred by modernizing her?

One of my mechanically inclined friends pointed out that in theory, you can generate steam with any fuel, so presumably she could be changed in that regard, but I agree, the numbers make no sense.

I have mentioned it in previous comments but I will again... to the best of my knowledge, there are not currently any terminals on Georgian bay with available dockage that are suitable for this kind of ship and yet the consultant's report has something in thee about allowing for $25K per harbour to construct suitable facilities. I don't know what they have been smoking, but you can't hardly build a big deck at your house for that. And ironically, the town where she currently lies isn't even on the list of harbours put forward.

There are a couple of cruise ships (much larger than the Norisle) that stop by Tobermory now and again, but they use their tenders to run passengers into town. The passengers wander around for an hour, plug up the public washrooms and leave again an hour later. It's not like they contribute to the town's economy.

Any news as of late on this proposal?

Any news as of late on this proposal?
Nope. The lawsuit is just sitting there with neither side doing anything. My guess is the group is working away trying to figure out how to raise money.

Our hope is that at some point they'll see the light but the concern is that nothing will happen until she sinks, at which point only the scrapers will be interested

I had some interesting conversations with some folks in Town this past weekend......

parking and that "piece of ship"

@Stoo : Owner of "Golden Gallery" & "Peninsula Supply Ice Cream"..........

Got quite the education. Actually understood what he was saying.... and would tend to agree...

Glad to bump into you, mrs. stoo, and the dogs at the ramp. Wish there was more time.

Thanks again for your information over the years.

Haha... Oh ya... the two most opinionated, diver-hating folks in town... ;-)

And I agree... I wasn't aware of Mrs. Stoo's need to depart early until I was packing the car!

So, while progress on this project has been stalled as the Friends of the Norisle and the Township where she is currently berthed fight it out in court, we have been told by a reliable source that a settlement has been reached and that the Norisle is likely to be gifted to us soon.

As a result, Mike M of Diver's Den and Tobermory Maritime Association and I did a little site exploration today to gather photos and videos for Department of Fisheries and Oceans. The site looks perfect. Flat and smooth, it begs to have a nice boat sunk on it.

With a little luck, we only have one additional endorsement letter to come (from the local First Nations Band, who have already advised their support) and a few more photos in the early spring to search for spawning 'anything' and we should be good to go for late next spring. Patience has it's virtues.

For those just finding this thread, there is a plan afoot to sink the Norisle near Tobermory. The Norisle server as a ferry that ran from Tobermory to Manitoulin Island until she was replaced in 1974. She's going to be an awesome bit of marine heritage AND dive site!

Norisle.jpg

Just an image Google found, with no credit...

keep everyone updated. i would love to drive up from buffalo for the sinking if and when everything is settled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom