Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would do exactly like @rongoodman said and ditch the double wing for right now. In the same token, I would keep my eyes peeled for a used doubles wing. I got a $300 45lb Apeks doubles wing for $100, because I kept my eyes peeled. I also have a really hard time paying retail for pretty much anything, other than my CCR. :) Basically, buy when it is convenient for you and when the right deal comes along.
I was considering the same, but wasn't sure if getting the double wing now might be an advantage while trying to enroll in tec courses.

And for the drysuit part, haven't dove in one yet. I'm assuming that it will be come unavoidable once the dives start getting more serious into tec.

I would do exactly like @rongoodman said and ditch the double wing for right now. In the same token, I would keep my eyes peeled for a used doubles wing. I got a $300 45lb Apeks doubles wing for $100, because I kept my eyes peeled. I also have a really hard time paying retail for pretty much anything, other than my CCR. :) Basically, buy when it is convenient for you and when the right deal comes along.
I was considering the same, but wasn't sure if getting the double wing now might be an advantage while trying to enroll in tec courses.

And for the drysuit part, haven't dove in one yet. I'm assuming that it will be come unavoidable once the dives start getting more serious into tec.

@sourdough Is there any specific reason why you decided to mux and match your backplate and wing brands? Or was it a situation like @Doby45 and you stumbled across a good deal at the right time?

Side mount is the way to go for tech. So I hear.

I'm ignorant, are there side mount harnesses that work for both singles and doubles?

You need a 30# singles wing. Doubles wings are huge for reasons.

Get the DGX rig. Check out DIR's online setup, and tips.

Side mount is the way to go for tech. So I hear.
Depends on the boat. I was once accosted for not bringing my sidemount on a certain liveaboard, because I knew the boat. Could I have MADE it work? Sure, but why? Backmounted doubles were easier to get back on the boat, so that's what I went with. Use the right tool for the job!

I'm ignorant, are there side mount harnesses that work for both singles and doubles?
Not well.

I was a professional mechanic for years. I didn't own just one 10mm wrench. I owned several. Thick, thin, opened ended, closed end 12 point, closed end 6 point, combination, flare nut, ratchet, socket ended and more. LOTS more. Chrome, black, modified for a specific problem, offset for carburetors, shorties, extra long, and that's before we get to the various style sockets. All of them are just 10mm wide to remove a 6mm bolt.

I usually had one chance to remove a nut/bolt from a car cleanly. If the wrench slipped and rounded the fastener, then I just created a lot of work for myself that I couldn't bill to the customer. Different jobs require different tools, even if they do much the same thing.

I am just getting back into the sport after a considerable amount of time off. I used a DR Transpac with sport wings but wanted to buy new gear: BPW and found DGX through this forum.

I am looking to put together a warm water kit using a full 3mm:

Not considering the BP: any recommendations on stable wings? DR Travel, Apeks WTX, Halcyon, Hollis ST22, Sub-Gravity26? The Apeks WTX and DGX look strikingly similar in design.

1678649815722.png
1678649815722.png

I like the Sub Gravity 26 lb wing, but I own one. The Sub Gravity, Apeks, Hollis or DGX wings are all good choices. The Dive Rite doesn't have a gusset sewn in the middle of the wing and it requires a STA and Halcyon is way over priced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom