New Weapon Designed to Zap Scuba Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's interesting that the sound waves emanating outwards from the ship aren't dangerous until the diver swims within range of the central emitter. I would hope that the "harmless" outer ring of sound waved are audible and instantly identifiable as unnatural, this should serve as a warning.

When the first diver is injured by this, please let me know. This is one I want to litigate. It is better than the asbestos cases and proobably as good as the exploding Ford Pinto cases, though not quite as good as the tobacco cases. I will take the case for a 15% contingency fee rather than the customary 33% or 40% fee most other lawyers charge.

I hate to sound like an ambulance chaser as I'm not. However, this is just too good. I can't believe Raytheon would be so stupid as to sell such a device unless it is only used on ships far out at sea or in otherwise secure areas.

Raytheon's underwater sensors detect any unwelcome presence and trigger an underwater sound system that emits extremely powerful pulses of low frequency audio. The pulse rate and audio frequency are chosen to make human organs resonate like organ pipes, causing divers to vomit into their masks or suffer internal ruptures.

Is this just for military vessels or are they going to be mounting this on cruise ships, which sometimes "accidently" run into diving areas?

MrConclusion:
It's interesting that the sound waves emanating outwards from the ship aren't dangerous until the diver swims within range of the central emitter. I would hope that the "harmless" outer ring of sound waved are audible and instantly identifiable as unnatural, this should serve as a warning.
In this frequency, you would probably "feel" the sound on your body, but not be able to "hear" it with your ears. It is not in the human auditory range of frequencies.

SeaRat

So ??? ... I'll bet this is probably only for defense of combat ships , and if you swim under/near one, I would worry about getting shot as well ....

DB

So, indeed! My last off-island vacation included a fair amount of diving in close proximity to a couple USCG vessels which were parked in Colombian waters.

I certainly could imagine the mayhem if such devices were used in a civilian context, such as cruise liners. That could destroy several shore diving businesses on this island alone.

Considering who makes it , i would bet $$ its for mil use.

John C. Ratliff:
In this frequency, you would probably "feel" the sound on your body, but not be able to "hear" it with your ears. It is not in the human auditory range of frequencies.
Well...if I was busy "feeling" my internal organs rupture, the noise my dive buddy would hear would be me screaming (when I was not busy vomitting) into my regulator.

"there is no widespread danger to fish, dolphins or whales"

This means that only the fish, dolphins and whales in the immediate vicinity will be busy internally rupturing as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom