New wannabe diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amberjoy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I am completely new to diving but got hooked through a friend. Not sure where to start. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you got hooked through a friend I'm taking it your freind was not a instructor. In that case you should start with a good local dive shop. The agency is not as important as the instructor. Do a search on here for selecting a instructor and you will get plenty of advice.

What do you want to know? Where will you be diving? What do you want to get out of diving?

The most important thing is to decide whether YOU want to dive, or whether you are doing it to please someone else. (Although I basically signed up to please my husband, and we know how that turned out.) If you want to learn to dive, I would suggest reading over a number of threads in our New Divers subforum, including the sticky threads on how to pick a dive instructor and shop. The bottom line is that you can do quick, cheap, OR good, but you can't do all of them in the same class. Diving is an activity which is tremendous fun, once you have enough skill to be comfortable doing it. But if you are not well prepared for your dive experiences, it's not nearly as much fun. Peruse the "DM blew me off" thread that is running right now -- lots of germane comments there.

If you tell us where you are, we can almost certainly recommend good places to get certified, and good instructors and shops to deal with.

Get cert'fd, then mo' diving, mo' diving, mo' diving !!!!!!....If you're still 'hooked'.....Get rid of your boy friend/husband [or both] kids, any other relatives, sell off everything but the essentials, move to Florida, buy gear [better deals here] and you can be a hopeless addict like the rest of us......We've fallen and we don't care.........Welcome to the under-world ;P !!!!!!

Get cert'fd, then mo' diving, mo' diving, mo' diving !!!!!!....If you're still 'hooked'.....Get rid of your boy friend/husband [or both] kids, any other relatives, sell off everything but the essentials, move to Florida, buy gear [better deals here] and you can be a hopeless addict like the rest of us......We've fallen and we don't care.........Welcome to the under-world ;P !!!!!!

Lol!! Cheers! That got me more curious now!! Florida is my dream destination now..Florida, here I come :)

---------- Post added March 13th, 2013 at 02:23 AM ----------

Lol!! Cheers! That got me more curious now!! Florida is my dream destination now..Florida, here I come :)

start off by getting your OW....You can also try a discover scuba dive and then you'll really get to see if its something for you or not

---------- Post added March 13th, 2013 at 02:23 AM ----------

Is there an echo in here or something??? :wink:

You still haven't said where you are, that can be a big determining factor on advice. TSandM will verify that. We both dive the Pacific Northwest and she can tell you much better than I can about instructors and what to look for and what to avoid.

Good luck in your search.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom