New versions of Sensorcon CO Meters for 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robbyg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got a great heads up by @tbone1004 that a cheaper alternative Carbon Monoxide meter was made by Sensorcon. They have several models that all seem to be good but for $20 more your really better off going with the "Inspector Industrial Pro". I was just about to buy it on Amazon when I decided to check some info on their website and realized that in 2019 they released newer versions! Amazon is still selling the older models from them.

Since their is no price change and the old one is a 2014 version I thought I would warn people. I don't think there are any differences except appearances but the sensors in the new one are certain to be New and the old one may have been on the shelf for a long time. For now you can only get the new one on their website.

OLD VERSION
Old_Sensorcon.jpg

NEW VERSION

New_Sensorcon.jpg

Attachments

• Old_Sensorcon.jpg
    Old_Sensorcon.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 79
I'm confused, which happens a lot in my life, but your Old photo is of their Hydrogen Sulfide model.

It's logical that Amazon would have older units than buying from the manufacturer, but what was your clue on the different models for different years?

for $20 more your really better off going with the "Inspector Industrial Pro".
That one is $30 more, while the Inspector Industrial is $20 more. I have carried an Inspector with me everywhere for several years now, but I never saw the advantage of upgrading to the higher models? I actually washed one with my khakis once, with detergent & bleach, but no problems. They are indeed tough.

Last summer I was about to send mine in again for new sensor & battery replacement but I got a special price and opted for a new one. I figured the old one would die in a few months, but it's still active laying on a shelf nearby, so they have more wiggle room than I expected.

I just tested both my 2018 and 2020 units in the garage, leaving the door closed while starting my car. Both got really excited, in the 400s. I left, came back, and now they both test 18 ppm. Modern cars with catalytic converters should not be dangerous except when first started like that. My barber tells me that she knows of two women in my small town who failed at suicide because their cars idled too clean in their garage, I didn't ask for names, but scary.

vibrating alarm-don't need that since you aren't wearing it
intrinsically safe-you aren't using it in explosive environments and certainly don't need it certified
24hr TWA-definitely don't need that
Adjustable alarms-don't think you really need that either since you aren't wearing it

vibrating alarm-don't need that since you aren't wearing it
intrinsically safe-you aren't using it in explosive environments and certainly don't need it certified
24hr TWA-definitely don't need that
Adjustable alarms-don't think you really need that either since you aren't wearing it
Oh, I do wear mine anytime I leave the house. I like being protected from my own car and from the stores and restaurants I visit. But I really did not understand any of that.

I'm confused, which happens a lot in my life, but your Old photo is of their Hydrogen Sulfide model.

I think your losing it :cool:.
Just kidding, I linked the wrong photo but I corrected it now.:)

The manufacturer date info is on Amazons web page. It may not be the exact date it came out but it is the date that Amazon started carrying it (which today is pretty much the same thing lol)
So the older model was first put out on Amazon in 2014 and the new one has a press release on the companies website saying that it was coming to market in I think Nov 2019. Not 100% sure on the month.

Oh, I do wear mine anytime I leave the house. I like being protected from my own car and from the stores and restaurants I visit. But I really did not understand any of that.

Has there every been an incident when the unit was detecting high CO in your car or at a restaurant? I am just wondering how prevelent this problem is.

Has there every been an incident when the unit was detecting high CO in your car or at a restaurant? I am just wondering how prevelent this problem is.
Nah, but there are enough in the news if you search Monoxide in the news. Since it's odorless, invisible, and so many businesses don't have alarms, I carry mine. Cars have always been a risk, even with catalytic converters. Here is a recent story from a bowling alley. https://siouxlandnews.com/news/loca...rbon-monoxide-poisoning-at-wakefield-business

"Beware" seems a bit on the sensational side.

Why mess with Amazon, if you are worried about old sensors - seems like you would only buy direct from the factory to ensure you got the absolute freshest possible? No data to back this up, but I think you are splitting hairs. How long do you think the sensors set in the warehouse before install?

Plus, the company has regular discount codes for use with a direct purchase. I have the "old" one as you call it, and it works very well. Very repeatable measurements. I can quickly tell from my home office if cooking is going on in the house - it will jump from zero to 1 or 2. If something is burning in the oven it goes up to about 5. I don’t take it to the grocery store, but damn sure going to keep at least one or two in the house as long as I have a gas heating system.

And it also doubles as a tank tester every time I dive. In a year or so, I’ll just have it calibrated, or maybe buy another new one, they are cheap insurance.

"Beware" seems a bit on the sensational side.

Why mess with Amazon, if you are worried about old sensors - seems like you would only buy direct from the factory to ensure you got the absolute freshest possible? No data to back this up, but I think you are splitting hairs. How long do you think the sensors set in the warehouse before install?

Plus, the company has regular discount codes for use with a direct purchase. I have the "old" one as you call it, and it works very well. Very repeatable measurements. I can quickly tell from my home office if cooking is going on in the house - it will jump from zero to 1 or 2. If something is burning in the oven it goes up to about 5. I don’t take it to the grocery store, but damn sure going to keep at least one or two in the house as long as I have a gas heating system.

And it also doubles as a tank tester every time I dive. In a year or so, I’ll just have it calibrated, or maybe buy another new one, they are cheap insurance.

Yes I agree, I should have not have gotten so sensational but unfortunately I cannot change the title now. I don't know exactly how the sensors work but most sensors degrade with use and secondly with time so I was just trying to alert people that a newer model is out there. I was never trying to imply that the old ones are inferior in any way.

I can quickly tell from my home office if cooking is going on in the house - it will jump from zero to 1 or 2. If something is burning in the oven it goes up to about 5. I don’t take it to the grocery store, but damn sure going to keep at least one or two in the house as long as I have a gas heating system.

Uh, you may want to have that gas stove checked. It should burn cleaner than that.

I am all for multiple CO alarms in every house. The home models are so cheap. I like one in every bedroom and additional units near gas heaters, kitchen, attached garage, fireplace - all sources.

I cannot change the title now.
You should on the first day. It's under the Thread Tools tab.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom