new UK SL4 battery corrosion? You may want to check yours.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mambo Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought a UK SL4 light from a LDS (Force-E scuba) that came with batteries installed. I did not test the light upon purchase (Dec 27, 2005). Upon playing with it last night, it failed to shut off. The switch was obviously not working smoothly, but when I was able to get it to the "off" position, the light stayed on.

Upon opening the top of the light, I heard somewhat loud "Pow!" or "Pop" (loud enough that a bystander 25 feet away asked if I was OK) as the lens and lightbulb blew out. Looking inside, there seemed to be a muddy substance (so I guessed rust and/or corrosion?). I'm taking it that this "Pop" was the build up of gasses from the corrosion process? Looking back, I guess I'm lucky I didn't get sprayed in the eyes with acid.

I was a bit wary of buying a light with batteries pre-installed (thinking only of the age and type of the batteries, not that they would be a problem in some other way). I had not looked at the time, but they are Duracells. I do trust duracells normally, though I am aware of some knock-off batteries that are sold with the Duracell label (or something very close to that label - I haven't looked at the knock-offs for very long).

I realize these lights have served many of you well and, in reality, it's probably one of the batteries that failed (leaked) instead of it being the light. But I thought I ought to post this for those who do own them.

I threw it all in a bag last night, and upon looking at it just now, it does look like battery acid corrosion. I'll try to post pictures. (The ‘mud’ was not visible on the lens until I threw everything in a bag (pictured) and stuff got sloshed around in there).

Best,

Dave

My girlfriend and I both have one of these and they were in perfect condition when we got them. We used them on a few dives at the end of October but we did not dive in November or December - got a dive trip planned starting the 7th of January. I took the batteries out for this 2 month hiatus.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Hope you have good luck getting it fixed. I assume you haven't dived with it yet? Thats some serious corrosion!

I have to admit a new-diver mistake (what, again?!). I did not take it apart to inspect it before diving with it. The whole reason I was playing with the switch was that I had it in my hands as I was rinsing my gear from an ocean dive (its first dive) completed 4 hours earlier (this was yesterday).

I guess the good part is yes, it would have worked had I needed it. It would just not have shut off though, and that would have taken up a little bit of my already precious and limited down time while I would have tried to figure out if I was narced or if I was just being stupid 85 feet under water.

No water came out of the light, and I may not know much, but I don't believe that much corrosion could have occured within hours after a dive had the light not been sealed correctly. WHen opened, though, the corrosion 'mud' was wet-looking, so it must have still been in acid form. It has since all dried, leaving what we see in the picutres.

Get it repaired? Naw, with all the advances that have been made in flashlights I am not going to settle for a non-LED light as a replacement. The use of these old style of bulbs for current diving lights is another thing that gets me. I have much better made flashlights made for about the same price that have one or more really bright LED's. If all UK is supplying is are plastic case flashlights (which is fine - but they are very inexpensive to produce), I expect a better bulb for my money. I bought this one in a hurry. I'll just take this one back and find something else.

That sure looks to me to be salt water corrosion, and those batteries don't contain acid and have no wetness to them. While It just may be possible to get that much corrosion in four hours, I don't think so ... I think you got one that had been tried out before and leaked

DB

D_B - precisely what I was thinking - that it had seen some use and leaked.

Thanks guys - I believe you on the salt water corrosion, and the non-acid batteries. But that leaves a circumstance that does not bode well for this LDS. I'll be returning the rusted hulk later today.

About a year ago I purchased a new SL6 and it suffered a similar problem. In my case one of the batteries was damaged at the positive end. I had used the light a few times in fresh water and it worked fine, as a matter of fact it worked fine only a few seconds prior to opening it. When I did open it the lamp and reflector were blown into my hand as the pressure in the housing was released. The pop was not too loud or violent and all that happened was that I was startled. I inspected the light and all of the batteries. One of the batteries was clearly damaged and both that battery and the battery in direct contact with it were covered with a dark goo. I disposed of the batteries and cleaned up the mess, installed new batteries and the light has worked fine ever since.

UK is pretty good about issues involving customer service. If the shop does not immediately replace the entire light give UK a call. I would expect that the shop will replace it without any problems. You purchased a new light and you should expect a new light. I do not think your light was used when you got it, as you have indicated it was probably entirely battery related.

Mark Vlahos

Thats the thing, I've had plenty of batteries leak and batteries that leak show signs of leaking, and It's usually a thick pastelike substance ... this looks very wet, I don't see any damage on the batteries (there still could be) another reason I say water damage is that it looks inside just like my KRILL light that leaked and went out on my second night dive, and also my computer that leaked and quit because of a cracked batt. comp. lid
Ether way, I would not confront the LDS, just ask them to do what they can after you explain what happened ... check with UK if they don't want to help you

DB

Thanks guys. I'm not sure I can end the speculation, as I could have inspected all the batteries, but I left the light pretty much alone (with one 'C' cell still in it) until I got it back to the LDS. The LDS employee understood that I was not happy, and while he did explain UK's excellent return policy (or 'excellent' as LDS's see it I reckon), he did what I asked when I stated that I just wanted my money back. He did, however, point out a troubling policy the LDS normally adheres to : "If FOR ANY REASON, you are not totally satisfied with your equipment purchase, you may exchange it within thirty days for another brand or another model of the same brand. Don't like the color? Trade for another. Decide you want a bigger or smaller one? Trade it back. Want a more expensive model or brand? Trade and pay the difference."

What does this mean to me? Well, perhaps 'new' stuff sold on the floor may not really be new if they take stuff back so readily - but that's not fair to them. Giving the LDS the benefit of the doubt, to me it just means that I'm stuck with the product lines they sell if even if I'm unhappy with the company's, or companies', products they carry.

Based on the way my case was handled, and the courtesy of the LDS employee, I will not rule out future purchases from this LDS. I felt my case was handled fairly and if I'm diving over that way and need something, I would not hesitate to go there for equipment.

But I digress. The LDS employee, who seems pretty experienced in diving, stated that the flashlight's inside could very well look like that immediately after salt-water intrusion. In thinking about it, I believe him as a saline solution (ocean water) probably does allow, or promote, rapid oxidation when in the presence of a short-circuit.

I know the cap was on well enough (or it seemed to be) when I twisted it off two nights ago. And, at the shop today, I attempted to put the cap back on - the O-ring felt as if it was making an excellent seal. That isn't to claim there wasn't a nick in the o-ring, but at that point I felt the water probably came in through the switch area instead.

I'm still very interested in what all you guys have seen happen, as it makes for a good read and a learning experience. For this size of dive flashlights is UK still the brand you'd choose, or are there better out there for nearly the same dinero? I'm considering the flashlight here: http://www.zweibrueder.com/english/...lights/ledlenserfrogman/ledlenserfrogman.html

Best,

M D

That's what batteries look like after a flood. The salt water makes a gooey paste out of them in no time flat that also ruins the reflector. My daughter's SL4 did that exact same thing. Popped about 60 feet and we both heard it. I have a sneaking suspicion that she played with the cap and didn't put it back on tight. Also, the o-rings seem very dry on all of the UK lights that I have, FWIW, and I slap some Dow Corning 111 on them when I change the batteries.

Back
Top Bottom