Question New to US (and FL)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you so much that's nice of you to notice!

And thanks to everyone else for the tips! Will definitely look into the trip reports and how to find them. Seems like Jupiter is the most promising place for sharks :cool:

One more question if possible - my equipment is in DIN configuration, and I know most operators here still use YOK, would I be able to find DIN tanks here? Would they be extra to rent?
Many operators have cylinders with convertible valves that take DIN or yoke 1st stages. Many operators have both AL80s and HP steel 100s, sometimes other cylinders too. 100s generally cost a little more. You can always call an operator for details. Much of the information is often on their websites.

One more question if possible - my equipment is in DIN configuration, and I know most operators here still use YOK, would I be able to find DIN tanks here? Would they be extra to rent?

DIN is common down here. All my regs are DIN. All of the operators I know can easily provide DIN tanks. Most have convertible valves and they just remove the insert for you on the boat.

Awesome! I'm glad I have some great diving within feasible distance, albeit a little more expensive than I'm used to. Then again, that's why you go to work - to afford more Scuba 🤣

I've got a few U.S. trip reports for diving that might offer some guidance.

Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...iving-key-largo-rainbow-reef-dive-center.html (RRDC has expanded and moved their location a little, but on the whole, I suspect if you dive with them you'll have a similar experience).

Jupiter 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/491927-jupiter-trip-report-9-7-14-9-11-14-a.html

Emerald Charters Trip Report 2017 - Trip Report - Emerald Dive Charters Trip Report Shark-feeding dives are controversial, but the range of species, time frame to see and closeness achieved with shark feeding dives is way better, if you're okay with it.

Morehead City, NC August 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...us-dive-center-aug-9-13-2015-trip-report.html You can get close to fairly large sharks without shark feeding, and I recommend this as a good intermediate step if you decide to work your way up to diving with tiger sharks later.

You may not like cold water much, but California is worth a trip sometime. The liveaboard operator I dove with went out of business after a big disaster (the Conception caught fire and burned, killing many people), so the dive scene was changed some, but the diving ought to be much the same.

My Notes For Researching My California Dive Trip - My Notes for Researching My California Dive Trip

Truth Aquatics Vision Trip Aug. 2016 - Truth Aquatics Aug. 2016 Trip Report - California

Kelp, sea lions, harbor seals and garibaldi fish are really nice to see.

I've got a few U.S. trip reports for diving that might offer some guidance.

Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...iving-key-largo-rainbow-reef-dive-center.html (RRDC has expanded and moved their location a little, but on the whole, I suspect if you dive with them you'll have a similar experience).

Jupiter 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/491927-jupiter-trip-report-9-7-14-9-11-14-a.html

Emerald Charters Trip Report 2017 - Trip Report - Emerald Dive Charters Trip Report Shark-feeding dives are controversial, but the range of species, time frame to see and closeness achieved with shark feeding dives is way better, if you're okay with it.

Morehead City, NC August 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...us-dive-center-aug-9-13-2015-trip-report.html You can get close to fairly large sharks without shark feeding, and I recommend this as a good intermediate step if you decide to work your way up to diving with tiger sharks later.

You may not like cold water much, but California is worth a trip sometime. The liveaboard operator I dove with went out of business after a big disaster (the Conception caught fire and burned, killing many people), so the dive scene was changed some, but the diving ought to be much the same.

My Notes For Researching My California Dive Trip - My Notes for Researching My California Dive Trip

Truth Aquatics Vision Trip Aug. 2016 - Truth Aquatics Aug. 2016 Trip Report - California

Kelp, sea lions, harbor seals and garibaldi fish are really nice to see.

Thank you for all the links!

Didn't know they do shark feeding in FL, thought that was a Tiger Beach thing.

And yes, I have heard that Cali diving is worth sucking it up and enjoying the cold, so maybe in the summer. Then again, my dream destination is Socorro, and everyone has to dive Galapagos at some point - and those are both pretty cold.

That does bring up a question in my mind - seeing as how FL has feeding dives that draw in the tigers, how does that compare to tiger beach trips? The Bahamas are just as accessible as FL from the east coast, and I'm assuming prices are similar? So if the only point is to see big sharks on feeding dives, what's the best direction to head?

and everyone has to dive Galapagos at some point
My Research Notes from Planning Galapagos Trip
Humboldt Explorer Jan 13-20, 2020 - Trip Report - Humboldt Explorer Jan 13-20, 2020

If I understand correctly, the tiger sharks dove with out of Jupiter don't tend to be quite as big as those out of Tiger Beach (at least that was true when I went), which is fine with me, because a tiger shark near 10 feet long is plenty big enough. I also read of some larger numbers on some of the dives out of Tiger Beach, more than I'd be comfortable with.

In a nutshell, I really enjoyed my Jupiter trip with Emerald Charters, but I think some of the Tiger Beach liveaboard diving would be, as they say, 'too rich for my blood.'

You can read some Tiger Beach liveaboard trip reports, such as by @scubadada and @Dan if I recall correctly.

Jupiter would give you the option to go down just a few days without committing to the full duration of a liveaboard trip.

I do not do the baited/feeding dives in SE FL. I had a fantastic time at Tiger Beach and Bimini on Dolphin Dream with my TX friend @Dan Few shark dives could compare to the Tiger Beach trip. Trip Report - Tiger Beach and Bimini on the Dolphin Dream, March 11-19, 2022

Lemon Shark aggregation in Jupiter is great, late Jan-early Mar. There are Reef Sharks on the reefs all year. Deep Ledge has Bull Sarks and Sandbars. I've see 2 Tiger Sharks in Jupiter. 4 Hammerheads in Boynton, 2 Scalloped, and 2 Great. You never know what you will see. I just boarded a plane headed to West Palm as I write this 🙂

Didn't know they do shark feeding in FL, thought that was a Tiger Beach thing.

A few operators out of Jupiter and West Palm Beach do the shark feeding thing. They must leave state waters to do so. I can think of a couple but there may be 1-2 more. Most operators do not offer baited dives. If that is your thing, be sure you are using an operator that offers that type of charter. I don't participate in those type of charters. Others will need to share more info if you're interested.

Another vote for California kelp forest diving. I absolutely love it! I've been able to fit in maybe 5-6 days of California diving while out there visiting family or for business. I've dived in Monterey, Carmel, and Anacapa and Santa Cruz islands (2 of the Northern Channel Islands) on the Peace dive boat out of Ventura.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom