New to the underwater world...wetsuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have been reading alot on the forums and wanted to post this in the basic scuba discussions but it directed me here...I'm from Tampa Fl area and now living in Orlando.
I bought a 1/2mm one piece suit for the warmer periods, but was told that would not be thick enough here in Florida. First all, what is 1/2mm. Is that just .5m, or diff thickness in torso vs extremities?
What would be a good thickness for most the dives in Atlantic/Gulf of Mexico (lower half of Fl)? Can I use the 1/2mm? I dont think I would want to dive in the cooler months but I am new so will see?
Last question- I bought another wetsuit on EBay and it is at least 2x thicker than the 1/2mm. I dont plan to dive in the springs alot. Can I just wear the 1/2mm under the thicker suit. Seems to fit ok? Will that be sufficient for the Springs if I also buy a hooded vest?
Sorry for the ignorance here
Thanks for the advice.

Hi
Seems like the locals dive a 3mm ocean dives, and springs are like 72 year round,then a 5mm as it cools to a 7mm or a dry suit. their body thermostats are set a bit off from mine from Wisconsin,I can dive a T shirt in the Cool Atlantic most of the year,but have found that as you do several dives and short SI you like the extra warmth.
Seems like you may have a 3mm off e-bay you should be fine with both as it cools down,just dont over heat as you put the stuff on top side!
I seen a guy at HalWatts 40 Fathom's Grotto drop over from heat stroke as he made the walk down to the spring! he put his suit on too soon,
Brad
Dive safe!

Hi 'Nurse, and welcome!!

As you'll find as you look around ScubaBoard (particularly here under Exposure Suits), different people are vastly different as far as how warm they feel in the water -- and therefore what kind of suit they need for a given water temperature. Men tend to stay warmer than women. Like, in 85F water, I'm perfectly comfortable with just a lycra dive skin, or my 1/2mm (0.5mm) Henderson Microprene suit. While my wife likes her 3/2mm suit in that same water.

Oh by the way... 1/2mm does mean half a millimeter. On the other hand, a 3/2mm or 5/4mm suit (where the first digit is larger) doesn't mean a fraction!! A 3/2mm suit means one that has 3mm neoprene thickness in the torso, and 2mm in the extremities.

There aren't many manufacturers that make 1/2mm millimeter suits (or 1mm, which is pretty much the same thing). Henderson is one manufacturer who does. Who's your suit made by?

So when you say you bought another suit that's "at least 2x thicker than the 1/2mm", how thick is that exactly? Could be anything from 1mm (still pretty thin), up to 3mm (the next standard thickness up). Again, what's the manufacturer and model? Any other markings? You might be able to measure an exposed cross-section spot, like at a zipper. I agree with Moneysavr, that a 3mm suit would probably be a decent summertime ocean suit in Florida. Again, depending how warm you tend to be. But probably too cold for the springs, at 72F.

Yes, you can wear one suit over the other... as long as they fit snugly enough so there's little little or no water sloshing through inside, and they're not so tight that they restrict your movement... or worse, your circulation...

--Marek

Yeah- it is a henderson and it is 1/2 mm. The other suit is 3mm and working well now
Thanks again...headed for my first boat dive next weekend after the hurricane goes by!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom