New to Thailand, Need Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Khao Lak is ideal for daytrips - not only are the Similan and Surin islands so close at hand - but there are also great wrecks and even lake diving. But even if you choose to dive only the Similans, there are dozens of dive sites to choose from and any reputable dive operator will take you to sites that are suitable to your skill level.

As Khao Lak is only 1 hour from Phuket airport, the transit is simple and quick and there are many flights a day from Bangkok. There are also plenty of hotels and lots (40km+) of beaches. However - Khao Lak is not a town for partying or known for it's nightlife. We prefer to spend our time underwater :)

November is a good time to visit, as it is the beginning of the season and trips are usually not sold out. The conditions underwater are very good and the viz in the Similans rarely drops below 20m/70ft. As said above the water is also quite warm...making for some relaxed diving.

I would of course recommend our dive operation, but there are several others that offer good service and high standards.

As a newbie - please be aware that in this region saving a few dollars can often be a large difference. Check for safety standards (Radios, radar, sat phones) and online reputation can also show which operators care about service as well.

Good Luck!

Having dived Ko Tao, would love to return to Thailand, and last 2 weeks in November are the only time my friend and I can go, she only has about 20 dives, and doesn't really want to do a liveaboard. We were wondering where we could do day dives like Ko Tao - obviously not a good idea to go their because of the weather. I liked the vibe in Ko Tao - maybe a bit young and full on, and was wondering if Koh Lak and Koh Lanta are really really quiet, or are there little towns and bars etc? Would you pic Koh Lak or Koh Lanta for diving, beach and choice of accomodation? Sorry for hijacking this thread - it's been really helpful though!
:D

Khao Lak is pretty quiet. It's one town, actually, and not "Koh" Lak as in an island, but rather "Khao" Lak. Koh Lanta is an island, and it's more like Koh Tao than Khao Lak is. The town of Saladan and the main beaches have that young feel about them, with bamboo bungalows available and beach bars to go to. There's plenty of easy diving within reach of Lanta, too. Khao Lak is great for daytrips to the Similans, but these dive trips are far from "budget" oriented since they use fast speedboats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom