new to tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude:
Are the Worthington LP85's 3AA tanks or exemption tanks? (read: can they be super-charged?)

Yes theye are 3AA. In Fl last month at a place close to gennie, the guy filling them said he routinely fills them to 3500. I didn't want mine filled that high, but 3000 was ok with me.

Yup, 3AA. I'd be happy to get 3000 fills on them (not the norm up here in MA). For the price, they're great cylinders. I believe, however, they've already gone up in price (perhaps all Worthingtons have, too). Really not too different than my HP100s which usually only get filled to 3300 (not a compressor issue, just me not wanting or needing to stick around for them to cool to get the right fill).

hp tanks fail hydro more often than lp ones and they don’t trim as good as lp. in tech diving lps are preferred choice. lp tanks are easier to overpump if you chose to do so. imho lp tanks are better overall package for diving as singles or doubles. lp cost le$$ than hp.

Rainer:
I believe, however, they've already gone up in price (perhaps all Worthingtons have, too).

I just got mine the last of Feb for $200 ea. which included the Thermo Modular Valve. If they've gone up, then it must have been recently. I hope not since I plan on getting 1 more.

That's about when I got mine (same price). They appear to be more now (at least when I glanced at a few websites I know used to have them for $200). If you see them at $200, let me know where. Very nice cylinders.

idive2:
I kinda thought these were 7.25 diameter and hot dipped galvanized to boot. I have
a PST HP100 steel and I would like to get another steel tank that has similar buoyancy
characteristics. I don't know if I want to wait to see if the new PST HP100 will be close to identical to the original. The Faber HP100 is almost 10 lbs. negative full which is a bit more negative full than my PST HP100 or the Worthington LP85. For the price
of an LP85 and a very close match on the buoyancy my decision is getting closer.
If you want a match to your tank you'll need to keep a close eye out for used PSTs, sad to say.

BSea:
Yes theye are 3AA. In Fl last month at a place close to gennie, the guy filling them said he routinely fills them to 3500. I didn't want mine filled that high, but 3000 was ok with me.

And I think 3000 on these is just under 100CF which appears to make them a pretty
good second tank to back up my PST HP100, not as a double of course but a second tank.

idive2:
And I think 3000 on these is just under 100CF which appears to make them a pretty
good second tank to back up my PST HP100, not as a double of course but a second tank.

96.6 cf. Would make these a no brainer if everyone could get fills to 3000.

CompuDude:
If you want a match to your tank you'll need to keep a close eye out for used PSTs, sad to say.

Yep, I think your right there. I like the tank a lot but it seems that some of these
newer LP tanks are offering some pretty comparable features at a lower price and
a lower pressure.

I'm not sure that owning your own tanks saves any money. At least at the 20-35 dives a year. They are a hell of a lot more convenient than renting that's for certain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom