new to tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Real men dive steel :D

BSea:
I recently bought 2 LP 85's. About the same size & weight as AL 80s, and much easier to get a good fill. I usually have them filled to 3000 which gives almost the volume of a hp 100. I rarely get much over 3200 for my HP fills, so when I decided on getting some new tanks, I sold 1 of my HP tanks & got the LP 85s. Which brings up another point. LP tanks are cheaper.

I also like that the diameter is 7.25 vrs 8 for the LP 95.
Just FYI, per the cylinder specs page (and per my old tank I recently sold), most LP85's are only 7".

I could swear I've heard about 7.25" ones, though, so that's probably what you have. They're just not listed on the usual pages. I like their measurements better, since all the usual bands, manifolds, etc. are more cross-compatible.

I agree that 8" tanks just seem huge, though. I tolerate it on my HP119, because, well, 119 cf takes a lot of room! But on a tank with a smaller capacity it seems odd.

CompuDude:
Just FYI, per the cylinder specs page (and per my old tank I recently sold), most LP85's are only 7".

I could swear I've heard about 7.25" ones, though, so that's probably what you have. They're just not listed on the usual pages. I like their measurements better, since all the usual bands, manifolds, etc. are more cross-compatible.

I may be wrong on the size. I was thinking of the HP tank I sold. These new 85s are from Sea Pearls if that helps anyone with the size. But I'll confirm later.

I hear Glow in the dark tanks are the cool thing now. . .

CompuDude:

I agree that 8" tanks just seem huge, though. I tolerate it on my HP119, because, well, 119 cf takes a lot of room! But on a tank with a smaller capacity it seems odd.
lp85 from faber are 7" dia and worthington are 7.25 in dia

artek:
lp85 from faber are 7" dia and worthington are 7.25 in dia

You are right. Mine are Worthingtons from Sea Pearls & are 7.25.

Yup, my LP85s are new Worthingtons. Definitely 7.25". For single tank diving, I use my HP100s. Great cylinders no doubt. New, however, I paid $200 ea for the LP85s; would be a lot more for new HP100s. Given my SAC, I can do just about any two rec dives off the LP85s. Doubled 100s don't offer me much more in the rec range, and they're really a bit too small to do two shorter tech dives.

Are the Worthington LP85's 3AA tanks or exemption tanks? (read: can they be super-charged?)

Rainer:
Yup, my LP85s are new Worthingtons. Definitely 7.25". For single tank diving, I use my HP100s. Great cylinders no doubt. New, however, I paid $200 ea for the LP85s; would be a lot more for new HP100s. .

I kinda thought these were 7.25 diameter and hot dipped galvanized to boot. I have
a PST HP100 steel and I would like to get another steel tank that has similar buoyancy
characteristics. I don't know if I want to wait to see if the new PST HP100 will be close to identical to the original. The Faber HP100 is almost 10 lbs. negative full which is a bit more negative full than my PST HP100 or the Worthington LP85. For the price
of an LP85 and a very close match on the buoyancy my decision is getting closer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom