New to spear fishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaShep

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe some of y'all can help me. I wanted to try a little spear fishing but really don't know where to go in the Alabama / Pensacola area. I have an 18 foot deep hull center console boat to dive / snorkel from. The spear I have is one my uncle gave and I fixed. It is not a gun but a poll spear. I don't know if I like it enough to spend the money on a gun. I just would like to know good places I can go fishing with out getting in the way or breaking some unknown law. I am not sure how far out I would like to take my boat either. Any information is helpful.

Anyplace you would normally go into the gulf to go fishing would be a good place to go spearfishing. Just check the FWC regs for species ahead of time if you are in Florida and check with Alabama in their waters. Polespears work best for flounder and that would be a great species to get experience on before you try to take bigger more skittish game fish. AJs are also a great fish to use a pole spear on as they are not afraid of divers but they are hard to find in inshore waters that you'll more than likely want to stick to in a boat that size.

This time of year it can be a little rough out there for an 18 ft boat. There are some great spots close in from both Pcola and alabama. When I first started I dove 3 mile barge a bunch!! It is 3 miles straight south of perdido pass in alabama. There are tons of small reefs in Alabama. From Pcola pass there is 3 barges. They are less than 5 miles from the pass in about 45' of water. They just deployed some new reefs close to 3 barges. Here is a link to Escambia County Reefs. Stop in MBT Dive Shop (Pcola) and visit with them, they will answer any questions you have and point you in the right direction. Good luck!

http://www.myescambia.com/Bureaus/CommunityServices/documents/ArtificialreefMASTERlist9Aug10.pdf

Best thing would be to take a trip with Pat, you'll learn more in one trip than you will in 3 months on your own.

Thanks for the info! I will not be going until this summer. I am out of town working, but picked up some gear I needed at the local dive shop. I planned on going to the 3 coal barges and some other spots I found on divespots.com. I have a friend that dives a lot and was talking with him so I have plenty of info. Thanks again for everyone's input!

+1 on taking a trip with Pat in PC. He runs a great op and the crew at PC Dive Charters is good about answering questions, etc.

Happy hunting

I started spearfishing at alabama point i also have a 18 foot boat i generally put in at cotton bayou and go just outside the pass and then go around on the west side of the jetties and anchor about 100 yards off the jetties. theres usually a bunch of sheepshead along the rocks. i haven't ever used a pole spear but i dont think it would be a problem i have gotten inches away from them.

Using a pole spear is really fun. I don't have any reefs 200+ miles inland but I've got some rivers. Nothing like paddling out, dropping anchor and jumping into a school of fish or prowling along fallen trees and rocks to be face to face with dinner. Make sure you check the game laws. Does Alabama have a yearly booklet that gives all the fishing regulations? In Texas we have the outdoor annual that covers just about everything related to hunting and fishing.

Back
Top Bottom