New to SLR, tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

with the 1.4 teleconverter, what would that make it the equivalent of? I was looking at a sigma 17-70 as kind of a utility lens.

with the 1.4 teleconverter, what would that make it the equivalent of? I was looking at a sigma 17-70 as kind of a utility lens.
Do the arithmetic. It becomes a (17 x 1.4) - (70 x 1.4) mm lens, or a 23.8 - 98 mm lens.

I understand that, but let me clarify my question more. Does it have any impact on the fisheye distortion for the tokina 10-17. I wasn't sure if in the wide angle ranges if a teleconverter would work in the same fashion as with a traditional zoom lens

Why do you hate the cable? does it get in the way with closure? I'm waiting for the housing to arrive still....

It has the potential to impede a proper seal of the housing and you won't notice looking around the edge of the housing- If you use the audio for your vids maybe you'll want it, but if you don't set it up right it could cost you a camera and lens.
If I was you I'd snip it immediately.

Transition tips:

Stick with the Tokina 10-17 until you are more comfortable with the camera. It's a more versatile lens than the 105.

Is your camera system neutrally buoyant? If not, then get it neutral with some strobe arm floats. Makes the bulky camera rig much more manageable.

The cost of a flood is now a lot higher. Pay attention to your o-rings. O-rings. O-rings. O-rings.

I have an ultralight hardsided carry-on suitcase to transport the bulk of my camera gear. Everything gets wrapped in bubblewrap. All o-rings have been removed for transportation.

The carry-on weighs a ton when packed full, so if I have to check the bag at the plane I have some sense that the hardside suitcase will protect the gear. Because of weight, only the most valuable and fragile camera gear goes in the carry-on. I also pack some of my camera gear in my computer bag.

Face it -- with a dSLR you're going to be carrying a lot of stuff.

215042_2_1

Last edited:
Being the ignoramus that I am, I have to ask - why do you remove the O-rings for transportation???

Being the ignoramus that I am, I have to ask - why do you remove the O-rings for transportation???

Housings, strobes, etc., are meant to withstand external pressure, not internal pressure.

I understand that, but let me clarify my question more. Does it have any impact on the fisheye distortion for the tokina 10-17. I wasn't sure if in the wide angle ranges if a teleconverter would work in the same fashion as with a traditional zoom lens

No it does not. It just magnifies the image. When shooting a dSLR with a cropped sensor (I think you have a D7000), the Tokina 10mm-17mm lens is essentially a 15mm - 25.5mm lens, due to the 1.5x crop factor of the sensor. Also, in my opinion, you don't need a tele with the tokina FE lens. It has the ability to focus on the dome itself, so just get closer to the subject.

Depending on the dive site (surgy, bad viz, etc) you may experience some frustration with the focusing of the 105mm macro lens. If this is the case, consider a 60mm macro (the older AF-D version). It focuses MUCH faster in less-than-ideal conditions. If you want more magnification, add a 1.4x teleconverter.

Here's a great site that will help you make the transition ---> Guide to Underwater Photography | Underwater Photography Guide

Cheers,
Zig

Housings, strobes, etc., are meant to withstand external pressure, not internal pressure.

Sure they are. But still, why? Yet to see an o-ring supported on the interior and not the exterior. If it is captured why would it matter? Flying pressures are nowhere near diving pressures. Just very curious to this explanation.

Back
Top Bottom