new to site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

one4snow

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just found this website and I love it. I just finished my open water and open water advancedand and all the threads have been very helpful answering questions and in my search for new gear. I live in the Reno / Tahoe area and will be doing alot of cold water diving and so I want to know which wetsuit setup people like better for coldwater : the full 7mm wetsuits with a sleevless hooded vest over it or farmer john and jacket.

Any suggestions would be great

Sorry I can't help with your question being new to scuba and this site. Just wanted to say welcome.

:wave:Welcome to the Scuba Board. :hi: Fun place to hang out, compare, argue, etc. :thumb:

How cold of water are you talking about? I am not at all a fan of Farmer Johns with Jackets:
(1) In cold water, my shoulders are the first place to get cold, and they only give you one layer there;
(2) In warmer water, divers will use the jackets alone, coming back to the boat with leg rashes.

Personally, I like layering:
(a) A long dive skin with velour lining gives 1 mil equiv, can be used under a wet suit for extra warmth plus making the wet suit slide on easier, and can be use alone in warmer waters;
(b) A long jump suit gives universal coverage;
(c) A Hood, or at least a neop Beanie is a must for cold water;
(d) Add another short wet suit over that for extra protection.

Or that's the way I do it. You might be better off reading on this forum, then asking questions there...

http://www.scubaboard.com/f30/s

don

Yes, how cold will you be? I did farmer john, but it's only a drysuit for me now........

so far the water temps have been 40 to 50 degrees and I have been using a 7mm farmer john/jacket combo but I am interested in the full wetsuit/hooded vest combo. I would love to do drysuit but I cannot afford one yet since I am new to the sport and I am still buying all the neccesary gear.

Hi...I just got my OW up here in BC, Canada and went on my first dive in a pseudo-drysuit. (*pseudo cuz it had a wicked leak.....) but continued on with dry suits for the dives since. With all the layers needed for a wetsuit I found it all a bit restrictive. :buggy: On my last OW my instructor lent me her suit that included dry gloves... N-I-C-E! Anyhoo, that's my 2 cents for ya... Cheers :)

Hey one4snow--

How cold is cold? For me, what has worked well is as follows:

75df - 80df: 3mm fullsuit for multidives, 3mm shortie for single
65df - 75df: 7mm fullsuit w/o hood
60df - 65df: 7mm fullsuit w/hood
55df - 60df: 7mm semidry or 7mm fullsuit w/hooded vest
50df - 55df: 7mm semidry or drysuit
50df or less: drysuit for sure

If you plan to dive frequently in colder water, I would recommmend investing in a drysuit. There's a huge variety of types and prices, and it would be wise to do some research before buying. I would suggest getting some training afterward.

Hope this helps!

Squidward

Welcome to Scuba Board.

(You too ItsMandy227 and Smrtblnddiver... even though you are old hands here now.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom