New To Seattle Bellevue area.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about Underwater Sports?

My own personal experiences with them are they have very large classes that are on very very tight time constraints. Because of this they are really only able to focus on the minimum skills needed to pass the class, instead of teaching the students good dive techniques, trim, proper buoyancy, effective kicks, etc.

This is not the instructors' fault, they are given large classes to work with and do the best they can given the size of the class.

Again, this is just my own experience with them. I did do my dm course with them and worked 20-30 of their classes as divemaster until I decided to go elsewhere for this very issue.

Seattle8789:
I am looking for a place to get certified in the Seattle area.

I'll vouch for Adventures Down Under in Bellevue. I get rebreather fills,etc. with them on my trips down south. Very pleasant people to talk to, love the sport, and are former Alaskans! Talk to Barb or Ron.
Happy Diving!

:wink:

ScottZeagle:
What about Underwater Sports?

I haven't taken any training from them, but from what I've seen, they're kind of the local McDonalds of dive stores - lots of locations, and the size of the operation makes some things cheaper. I have a friend who got his wife certified there, instead of our usual LDS, because she needed to get done in a hurry for a Hawaii trip, so she did a quickie weekend course. She came out an okay warm water diver, but that's about the extent of it.

It's really all in the instructor. A good instructor makes all the difference, no matter where or what the shop is.

However, if it's me, I'd want a shop that taught OW in top grade rental gear, drysuits, and a staff with a sense of humor and personality, as I'll be trusting my life to the gear...then I'll probably spend a bundle with these folks, and I'd like to feel good about it.

FWIW, I've gone into Underwater Sports a few times for items, usually because I need something and they're close to where I am, or they're open at a weird hour. I've never been particularly impressed with their floor staff...at most of the other shops, the floor staff either also instructs or is a repair tech, and they really know their gear, dive their gear, and have a good idea about things. UW Sports, at least the times I've been in to them (at a few locations) never left me with that feeling. The sales guys may have been divers, but didn't seem to have a broad range of diving experience, nor could they answer my gear questions adequately, especially when I was just starting out a few years back. So, I've relegated them to "oh, I need an emergency fill on a Sunday afternoon," or, "oh, I could really just use a new pair of gloves," status... kind of like a big-box chain. I still seem to have to over-explain things when I'm in there for parts or something now.

On the plus side, though - you should definitely visit their location up in Edmonds, by the underwater park. They sell a map of the park, laminated to a slate/board, for $10 (last I checked.) Buying one helps support the park, and it's dang useful your first few times out there :)

Starfish Diving in Seattle has excellent classes and a very knowledgeable owner. Might not be as convenient for you, but worth the travel time.

Starfish Diving

Jack

Poogweese:
Seattle8789:
I am looking for a place to get certified in the Seattle area.

I'll vouch for Adventures Down Under in Bellevue. I get rebreather fills,etc. with them on my trips down south. Very pleasant people to talk to, love the sport, and are former Alaskans! Talk to Barb or Ron.
Happy Diving!

:wink:

FWIW - Adventures Down Under is in Bellingham ... which is about 75 miles north of Bellevue.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Since you're in Bellevue, I would also encourage you to give Silent World a try. One of my current AOW students ... who is a member of this board under the name JasonH2O ... was recently certified there. To my concern, he came out of his OW class with excellent skills. I believe Craig was his instructor ... and if Jason is indicative of the quality of Craig's instruction, I would say he's a very good instructor.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Actually Curtis was my instructor, and yes he was great and I have nothing but good things to say about all the employee's at Silent World.

And to add another nice story about Silent World; I showed up once to pick up some rental tanks and they were all out. Dan (their service guy) gave me his own tank to use for the weekend.

I've also been recently visiting NWSD, and everyone there has also been great.

Heck, now that I think about it, I haven't met any bad apples in the diving community. We must just all be a bunch of fun loving people! (or I've been lucky) :wink:

Bob
Do you do OW classes or just AOW? I know from the people in the area and meeting you personally. If this gentleman is having a problem finding the right shop to get certified through. You might be a better option with your Private classes. (Seattle) you might ask Bob if he has a class coming up.

CustomTech:
Bob
Do you do OW classes or just AOW? I know from the people in the area and meeting you personally. If this gentleman is having a problem finding the right shop to get certified through. You might be a better option with your Private classes. (Seattle) you might ask Bob if he has a class coming up.

I don't normally teach OW ... the cost of pool rental alone would make the class cost-prohibitive for the type of classes I like to run. Many dive shops teach OW as a loss-leader to get students into the store to purchase gear (the "personal kit" alone often costs more than the class). I don't sell scuba gear, so this approach won't work for me.

I do, however, know several very competent instructors. Depending on where a student lives, I can refer them to a good instructor in just about any part of Greater Pugetropolis (Tacoma to Everett). Many of these instructors are friends of mine ... either people I trained with or people I dive with. Sometimes if my schedule allows, I'll help a out with an OW class ... especially if one or more of the students is someone I referred to the instructor.

For the most part, I concentrate on teaching AOW, Specialty, or Rescue classes. That's where I feel I can offer the most benefit to my students.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well as long as the protocal seems to be full disclosure I can tell you that my wife and I did our O/W through Starfish and they were very good. We are both in our 50's and had issues which didn't seem to affect the others. Starfish, in the person of Randy, Travis, Mark and Jason, were very good about one-on-one attention, with concerted efforts to make certain we were comfortable. I have spoken with Cheryl several times and heard good things about her style and competence. I would recommend Starfish without reservation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom